What was first synthetic oil you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a quart of M1 5W30 for topoffs in our Avalon and RAV4 (both 3.5l V6s) maybe ten years ago.
That sat for a long time, but I did buy and use Supertech synth 5W30 for my snowblower. Then I finally used the M1 quart in that.
Bought a 5 qt jug of M1 5W30 for the first time I changed the FXT myself, plus another quart since I needed something like 5.4 qts.

Castrol Syntec in a 1990 Toyota 4Runner 3.slow back in the early 90's. Loved the hex cap.

In the early 90's Castrol TXT 10W40, they called it a semi-synthetic back then, but I think by today's standards it would be called a full synthetic. I think it contained an early Group 3 which I believe Castrol called semi-synthetic back then. Maybe it was a Group 3 & Group 4 blend, if any Castrol people from back in the day can confirm, I would love to know. It was great stuff, rated CCMC European Test Sequences G4, G5 and PD2, which pre-dates the ACEA specs. It lasted better in my shared sump motorcycles than the heavier GTX 20W50, which was quickly chewed up by the gear box & engine combination.

In the mid 90's, when they stopped selling TXT, I moved to Castrol Formula-R 10W-60 full synthetic, their PAO based performance blend. In the mid to late 2000's they renamed this Castrol Edge 10W60.

I tried Mobil 1 5w-20 sometime in 1976 in my '74 Corolla. Loved the easier cold starts in the winter. I think the spec for that car was 10w-30 or 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back