What triggered you to align with a certain manufacturer for your cordless tools?

@paulo57509 I took La Honda Road from San Gregorio to Skyline and at the intersection of Skyline and Pagemill I turned right on Alpine Road and stopped at the first trail parking lot to check out Alpine Pond. Then took page mill Road north-east. Montebello Road is gated and looks like a private road. Didn't want to possibly trespass so proceeded on Pagemill. Eventually got on 280 North.

Going south on 1, Lindamar Beach.

Still on 1, approaching Devils Slide and the tunnel.

La Honda Road

Alpine Pond at Skyline and Pagemill Road.

Crossing under Alpine Road on the way to the parking lot from the pond.

Pagemill Road

Silicon Valley in the distance

On 280 going north. Many cars were going over 100 mph.
Always worth logging in for. Great shots.
Thank you, sir:)

A combination of online influences, early stimulus checks, and very good (especially in hindsight) Home Depot sales, sunk me into the Milwaukee boat

The M12 stubby rarely lets me down, and I've broken ball joint/lug stud sized threads with the M18 Mid torque

They aren't all perfect, but more than capable for my needs

Reactions: GON
My evolution has strictly been about deals I couldn't pass up. First was probably 10+ years ago, a Ryobi 18v impact wrench and impact driver kit for $99. I was really only there for the impact wrench, but it was my introduction to impact drivers which as everyone knows is a game changer. Still use the wrench but that driver is heavy compared to others I've gathered, so it is rarely used.

A one-time neighbor, I think he was an auction guy. But he was having a garage sale and I got a Dewalt 20v drill/impact driver kit for like $60. I still use both with those same batteries today. That Dewalt impact driver is so well-balanced and feels great in the hand. It mostly is used with a 3/8" drive socket adapter.

My Milwaukee M12 stuff began with a ratchet/impact driver kit for $99. That ratchet is probably my most-used tool, and I've added a few more tools to that collection.

M12 are what I use. Size, feel everything. 12V is ENOUGH.

I have a lot of DeWalt 20VMax though. For my woodworking I simply don't need that power. At all. When I use one of my two driver/drills the torque is amazing. Saws are great.

Started with 20V max, because it was the thing in 2010 or so. Stuck with it but bought an M12 pipe cutter and was amazed.

I do have some older Makita stuff that I posted about.

And I have a lot of tools now!

I went with Ryobi 18v because around 15-20 years ago, they had a wider selection of car, woodworking, and lawn/garden tools. I think I now have somewhere between 25-30 of their tools, and 9 batteries.

I also have two M12 ratchets and their 3/8 stubby impact. I went M12 because I waited 3-4 years for Ryobi to release a ratchet, and of course they release their ratchet a year after I got the M12. I subsequently added a few more M12.

Im currently sticking with ryobi for 18v, and M12 for when I think I want a tool with lighter weight.

Reactions: D60
Reading the "new tool thread" discussion on the quality of Makita cordless tools, thought to ask why BITOGERS align to certain manufacturers of cordless tools.

Many of us will stick with one manufacturer simply to keep the batteries the same. I suspect if all manufacturers used the same battery, our tool boxes might not have cordless tool brand loyalty.

My manufacturer loyalty is to Milwaukee. The reason is PEX A tubing. Milwaukee manufacturers the only readily available cordless PEX A plumbing expansion tool.

Milwaukee making the PEX a expansion tool has made my cordless tool purchases exclusively Milwaukee. What's your reason/ justification?
Easy question. Each of my 3 cordless systems started out with a great deal in the close-out corner at Lowe's.

I went with Ridgid about the time they came out with the Lifetime warranty, I have no complaints.
I have claimed on replacment batteries and the original drill burnt out (Brushes ?), I received very good service.
IMO their tools are not always the best in their class, but they are not the worst either. I have always been satisfied with their performance.

I am sold on Milwaukee M18 and a few M12. Have cordless tools and lawn stuff like hedge trimmers, string trimmer, blower, and vacuums.

I do have a couple of Ryobi as Milwaukee did not have what I was looking for, or at not at the time I bought the Ryobi.

Milwaukee is a better tool build than Ryobi.

No Milwaukee brand batters have failed yet and it's been many years. At least one Ryobi brand battery has failed. Tried aftermarket batteries for Milwaukee and Ryobi and in both cases the battery failed after a year or two.

The Milwaukee and Ryobi brand batteries are a reasonable price if you buy a package of two.

Milwaukee.

I feel they are the best value for many of the battery-operated tools I use when found on sale. They are also a leader in the 12v/compact space.

Compared to Makita (which is a great brand that I also own), Milwaukee seems to go on sale or have bundle specials more frequently throughout the year. The Milwaukee mid-torque impact wrench also had a 5-year warranty compared to Makita's 3-year.

I do commercial and industrial electrical. I had Dewalt because that’s what dad always had. I was drilling into some ceiling beams and my Dewalt drills chuck kept slipping. I couldn’t complete the job.

A co worker I was working with at the time suggested I go to Milwaukee. Acme had a very good sale. First day I used my new drill, it did the same thing. For whatever reason, I kept switching over to Milwaukee. I’m 6 tools deep now with like 7 batteries. I do like their durable feel and they do sound smoother over Dewalt IMO. My workplace does have Milwaukee for pretty much everything so it is convenient as well.

I will say, the majority of the guys I’ve worked with who i respect the most have been Dewalt guys. The poo heads seem to think only a good electrician has Milwaukee. One of favorite guys had the exact same drill experience when we went from Dewalt to Milwaukee too. Lol.

I have Dewalt for home still. Power and some yard tools. Zero complaints.

* I’m also getting into the Milwaukee packout stuff. Very convenient and easier on my shoulders.

I am not a professional. Just a homeowner and a guy who knows how to change brakes, oil, plugs, and some other minor engine work...
I was gifted a Worx driver and drill combo. So I just stuck with them. Fine for what I do.

I can't remember the name but there's some specific chuck that a member here changes on every tool. That particular chuck is maybe almost a magic chuck. Maybe it would solve your problem if you figure out which brand chuck.

Gee, guess I'm the only one using Bosch. I went their drills cause I found them to be the lightest. Was doing a lot of overhead work.
I used Bosch when I when I was a contractor 16 years ago. 3 year warranty and good battery life. Never an issue.
Switched to Milwaukee m12 for home / shop use for the ratchet and impact and cheap replacement batteries

This one been in heavy service 10 years and still works as new
IMG_5336.jpeg

Reactions: D60
Had a 14.4v Dewalt for a long time, when the battery situation for it became untenable I checked out the options and ended up with the Makita CXT 12v drill & driver combo kit. Best ergonomics and, despite making some of the tools in the PRK, I appreciate that it’s an independent Japanese company. They are awesome and as Pablo notes entirely adequate. Have the drill and impact driver, impact wrench, oscillating saw, mini circular saw (it is awesome look it up) and a very handy little flashlight. The impact wrench is probably the “worst” of them but still useful.

It is silly for Harry Homeowner to lug around big ol’ 18v tools to drive a few screws, hang a picture, etc. I built a shed foundation, required driving about 120 screws and making a few rips with the 12v mini circular saw all on a single 2 amp-hr battery.

I also have some 18v Makita stuff, XWT14 impact driver (badass, thanks Trav), reciprocating saw, wrench, shop light, and a string trimmer. The trimmer is great.

jeff

Had a 14.4v Dewalt for a long time, when the battery situation for it became untenable I checked out the options and ended up with the Makita CXT 12v drill & driver combo kit. Best ergonomics and, despite making some of the tools in the PRK, I appreciate that it’s an independent Japanese company. They are awesome and as Pablo notes entirely adequate. Have the drill and impact driver, impact wrench, oscillating saw, mini circular saw (it is awesome look it up) and a very handy little flashlight. The impact wrench is probably the “worst” of them but still useful.

It is silly for Harry Homeowner to lug around big ol’ 18v tools to drive a few screws, hang a picture, etc. I built a shed foundation, required driving about 120 screws and making a few rips with the 12v mini circular saw all on a single 2 amp-hr battery.

I also have some 18v Makita stuff, XWT14 impact driver (badass, thanks Trav), reciprocating saw, wrench, shop light, and a string trimmer. The trimmer is great.

jeff
Also great for the elderly. My step dad likes his M12 hedge trimmer. He couldn't swing the M18 if his life depended on it.

I want to get him the pruning shears once they're released as hand strength is of course an issue for him
20230728_185105.jpg

Back