What to do in denver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveling to denver Jan 4-7. me and a buddy. looking up hotels in the downtown area(ish) near the pepsi center/other attractions

i looked up 15 day forecast and their shouldnt be any snow for my days, which is great because i just had back surgery cant risk any injuries.

we have an nba game planned, we are wanting to go to the rocky mountains (im renting car from airport) i looked online and only 1 or 2 roads are open this time of year, but they appear like you drive as far as you want and park and walk the rest and sight see which we want to do.

possibly either the zoo/aquarium. maybe a museum. were arriving at 1030am on the 4th. the 5th the nba game is at 8pm. so half day 4th, whole day 5th, and whole day 6th we need stuff to do. might eat fast food once or twice to stay cheap, but def want to try local places. ive already downloaded yelp. im trying to find a hotel with NICE (maybe mountain) views in my area, free parking(no valet lol) i plan on uber/lyft ALOT. the rental car is primarily to get to airport/back and up to the mountains and other sight seeing.

never been to denver. HELP !

edit; price isnt a HUGE concern. hotel trying to stay under 150/nght or less. dont need a 5 star but dont want a super 8. just want a nice view and walking distance to restaurants/1 attraction etc

Last edited:
Go see the Patriots beat the Broncos. Oh wait.

I like the aquarium. The rest of Denver is unremarkable. I used to drive the mountains a lot. Head up I70 and just take in the sights.

Oh, go to Zangs brewery and try the rocky mountain oysters. If its still there.

Last edited:
Downtown Denver....TAP HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Good food and the local IPA is a big plus!

Dinosaur Ridge and Red Rocks Park are right near each other on the western edge of the city. Both are easy to get to and will give you a view of the landscape. Some moderate walking is involved with both. Considering that you're coming from sea level, you will notice the altitude. You can walk or take a shuttle bus to the track sites at Dino Ridge.

Buffalo Bill's grave on Lookout Mountain and the Mother Cabrini shrine are both just above Denver, in Golden. Those are the closest places for big views. Mother Cabrini has 373 steps to a mountaintop overlook. Idaho Springs, Blackhawk, and Central City are not too much farther, and will give you a sense of the mountains.

Denver is a large metro area, you can find any restaurant/brewery/winery you'd care to sample.

In addition to the above....

If you're willing to drive a bit, Pike's Peak Cog Railway will give you some great views. While there check out Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy. Further south in Rye, there's Bishop's Castle.

Estes Park has the hotel that inspired Stephen King to write "The Shining" and has some history of its own. As mentioned, Golden is a nice town to visit, as is Boulder.

Mountain views abound, pick your direction and go.

Well food and beer wise there are plenty of options. Oh and just A warning about hotel rooms. The national western stock show officially starts on January 7th. But set up activities and pre judging events Will have A lot of people in Denver at the same time. You could Try staying just outside of down town.Thornton or Westminster. Denver tech center and Parker All are Some What close With nicer hotels.

You could plan an entire day just visiting breweries and distilleries. Wings over the Rockies air plane museum. The Denver zoo and museum of nature and science are right next to each other. So that is convenient.

Old spaghetti factory in downtown has a special old world charm to it and affordable. Hapa sushi is good at happy hour. Lots of food specials. And its only a few blocks from the Pepsi center. Estes park is an hour and half drive or so from Denver but is a great place to visit and the gateway to Rocky mountain national park.
Enjoy your trip

i appreciate all the input, keep it coming! im writing everything down and will share with my buddy and also depend on hotel front desk and yelp. i would love to knock out the zoo and museum back to back

Forgot to mention earlier they have about 9 different beers to try. They say to limit the amount of samples to X. But you can have as many as you want.

What are you looking for? A Coors tour in nearby Golden? pretty good steaks, food and Rocky Mountain Oysters (don't ask) at the Buckhorn Exchange. Garden of the Gods for some scenery. We stayed at the Academy Hotel recently - nice indoor patio/restaurant overlooking the pool and atrium.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
What are you looking for? A Coors tour in nearby Golden? pretty good steaks, food and Rocky Mountain Oysters (don't ask) at the Buckhorn Exchange. Garden of the Gods for some scenery. We stayed at the Academy Hotel recently - nice indoor patio/restaurant overlooking the pool and atrium.

not looking for anything in particular. havnt been on a vacation in 3 years, so just want to get across the country and see some new things and get alot of cool pictures. im always interested in a brewery.

Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Canon City, Lookout Mountain, etc. Lived out there in the early 70's and there was always plenty to see and do. Google it before you go and plan things out. You won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Downtown Denver....TAP HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Good food and the local IPA is a big plus!

Besides the Patriots comments (+1,000) There are a ton of local breweries and distilleries in the Denver area. There is a show on Esquire network called "Best Bars in America." I am fairly certain they have an Episode on Denver. They typically find fun places. Worth looking up on demand. That and get a steak. Well worth it! Just avoid the Rocky Mountain Oysters!

Originally Posted By: xshoex
i looked up 15 day forecast and their shouldnt be any snow for my days, which is great because i just had back surgery cant risk any injuries.

Those 15-day out forecasts are unreliable, especially in the Rockies, so roll the dice on the weather. Notorious for bad weather up there this time of year. They may close up after Christmas, but the 'best' fun nearby Rocky Mountain thing to do might be the Georgetown Loop Railroad trip. https://www.georgetownlooprr.com/ Idaho Springs is a nice stop, with an old west main street (TommyKnockers or BeauJos there).

Sounds like you like museums, excellent. Paleo stuff is at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. The Molly Brown House is pretty good. The Forney Automotive Museum is awesome!!!!!. http://www.forneymuseum.org/

DO NOT MISS the Brown Palace in Denver if all possible, just glance inside the building and walk around in there, its history and construction will impress. Good eats inside too. http://www.brownpalace.com/

Oldest restaurant in town is the Buckhorn Exchange, interesting for sure. http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/col...enver/24967419/
Or near Red Rocks Park is the iconic The Fort restaurant for original Colorado bites. http://thefort.com/

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Those 15-day out forecasts are unreliable, especially in the Rockies, so roll the dice on the weather. Notorious for bad weather up there this time of year. They may close up after Christmas, but the 'best' fun nearby Rocky Mountain thing to do might be the Georgetown Loop Railroad trip. https://www.georgetownlooprr.com/ Idaho Springs is a nice stop, with an old west main street (TommyKnockers or BeauJos there).

Concur, I live in the greater Denver metro area and I don't trust a forecast, especially for the mountains, more than about 24-72 hours out. As others have said, plenty to do here. If you are headed up to the mountains, I recommend an AWD SUV for your rental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Concur, I live in the greater Denver metro area and I don't trust a forecast, especially for the mountains, more than about 24-72 hours out. As others have said, plenty to do here. If you are headed up to the mountains, I recommend an AWD SUV for your rental.

I am going To be getting an suv, never rented a car before, can I request a 4wd for "emergencies"?

Thank you all for the tips and links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back