my trip: atl > den

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm bored so i figured i would write this up while watching NFL tonight.

Jan 4th I flew out of my tiny little airport to ATL at 6 and arrived at Denver at 10am denver time (2hrs back from me which was tough)
Buddy arrived 20 minutes later in Denver, was 65 when I left my airport, 0 when I got to Denver.. I was cold
Take the airport bus to Hertz, and with my AAA code I got a 2016 Pathfinder with 20k miles on it for $30/day. Couldn't beat that!
No pics, but was a base model, with 4wd dial, so 'auto' came in handy, because it was nothing but snow. 3.5 had plenty of power, and CVT felt good.
Stayed at a very nice Hampton Inn downtown denver with free parking. Wanted to be downtown so we could drive everywhere with free parking and uber everywhere without free parking. Worked out good.
Hotel view
t...amp;oe=5912CCDD

So that day we went to the Aquarium which was cool. I haven't been to one since I was a kid. Saw a tiger there?
t...amp;oe=590C9823

Later that night went to the university of denver vs SD st basketball game. front row seats for $10. Why not?
t...amp;oe=58DD2542

Next day it snowed ALOT. We intended to go to the zoo that morning early, along with the Coin Mint, but weather didnt allow that.. so around noon we went to the broncos stadium tour. Being a Jags fan, it was cool seeing a different, nicer stadium. $20 for 2 hr in depth tour.
t...amp;oe=590CC9BC

t...amp;oe=5915363F

Later that night we went to the Nuggets/Spurs game (blowout) before hand though, ate dinner/drinks across the street at a sports bar called Brooklyns. I got the french dip and fries, and it was enough for 2 people. Very good.

Friday, we got up at 7am and headed to the Rocky Mnts.. now I didn't know what to expect. I live on the ocean/beach and have never seen mountains before so I had my hopes high. and they were met.
t...amp;oe=5922BB16

t...amp;oe=590C3D7D

t...amp;oe=591A6A16

Very nice that there were multiple pull off areas to snap and take pics. Scenery was amazing.
On my ride up there I got an email (let my passenger read it off to me) saying my delta flight that was supposed to depart at 8am to ATL had been canceled due to ATL snow,therefore I wouldnt be meeting by connecting flight back home at 12pm) and I would receive and email in a few minutes about my new flight. Email comes, I'm going to Utah. YAY, NOT

I'm at denver airport waiting to leave, and the gate next to me is flying to atlanta.. (not my original flight, but still directly to atlanta) I go up and ask how come I'm not on that flight, and the girl tells me I essentially drew the short stick when delta was re booking me and that was the only direct flight to ATL(until the evening) I ask for her manager, does me no good. Decide why not, i'll go to utah. So i had a 2.5 hr layover, in that BORING airport(SLC). Ate some bad food at the restaurant/bar and just sat there charging my phone for the other 2 hours. My time to leave utah was 12pm ish, and my flight from ATL to home wasnt until 830 pm so I had no way to miss my flight home, right? wrong.. 8 hours (6 with time change) to get to Atlanta..

Get on the Utah> atl plane, plane wont start. pilot says they have to come do something to plane, THREE HOURS LATER, we take off.
in that time: cops and emt's come on and take a guy off, not sure why, i was just trying to relax so I wouldnt cuss anyone out. I luckily had the nicest woman and her kid next to me. We were both in the same boat essentially, she had to get to florida, delta was screwing her, so I atleast had someone cool to talk to for 6 hours.

so ATL>BQK only has 3 flights a day. I missed all 3.. I go to the help desk when I get to ATL, their are no flights the next day with open seats, or the next.. I say, ok refund me for my portion of this trip, or pay for my rental car. they say they cant do either of that there. Ask for the manager, she says we can put you in a best western for 2 days, I said there are no flights home for 2 days, so that money you would spend for hotel I can just use for a 1 way rental (4.5 hr drive). She didn't understand my logic. Told me if I wanted a refund for flight& rental car reimbursement I would need to call this number, blah blah. So I call AAA, to get a rental, their closed, its 10pm, great. Call USAA, get a 1way rental through them. Got a hunk of junk 2015 rogue with so many dents dings scratches I said I do not want this car, because as soon as I drop it off their going to tell me I did it, do I have proof of pictures etc, its 10pm, how do you want me to get pictures of dents and scratches? Got put into another 2015 rogue, with only one dent, and i wrote in gigantic letters on the paperwork, that the dent was there at the time of pickup, had the gate agent initial it, and on I went. Got home at like 3am.. had been up since 3am denver time (so 22hrs) Stopped for coffee 3 times just to stay up and blared the music.

A week later,I'm still waiting on my refund for my flight home AND my rental reimbursement + gas

edit: not sure why pictures arent there, which bothers me because idk what I did wrong, but clicking the links takes you right to pics..

anyway, denver was awesome, lady next to me was awesome, delta, not so much.

Last edited:
Ouch, sounds like a rough day of travel. FWIW: the reason no one at the airport will refund you $$$ and let you rent a car is the liability. If you were driving and got into a crash then it could easily come back on the airline because they "told" you to take a rental car. Just a byproduct of our litigious society and the CYOA policies corporations have to take.

I sort of doubt you'll get reimbursement...
This sounds about right for winter travel, especially when going to/from a minor airport. You're one of thousands displaced, everybody will get home, just not with the timing they had anticipated, I guess...

What should Delta have done differently?

Flown in the snow and risked a crash?
Taken a passenger (who had already paid and booked) off the flight DEN-ATL so you could get on?
Flown the airplane with an engine problem without fixing it?
Taken a passenger off the flight to your hometown?
Are you more important than those people?
Should you go before them?

When severe weather hits, flights cancel. They should. Flying in severe weather is dangerous. Delta rebooked you as soon as they had a problem. Before you even knew it. That was proactive of them. They had a plan to get you home and the airplane broke in SLC. They got you to ATL and they were willing to pay for your hotel in ATL, even though the weather wasn't their fault.

Stuff happens when you travel. Planes are full these days. You can't just get on a plane unless somebody else gets off. That's not fair, either. Delta was doing everything they could to get you home before you even asked.

You'll probably get a refund for the unused last flight. It was your choice to get the rental car, so that's on you. (I've flown over 100,000 miles on DAL, over 800,000 on UAL. They'll refund an unused leg. But it's pro-rated and won't be much in your case. Alternate transportation is your choice, and your cost).

How would this trip have worked out if you chose to drive to DEN and the severe weather happened?

I imagine that you would've been days late getting home, or crashed, and you would've paid several times the cost of an airline ticketfor your gas, mileage, hotels, tolls, and food. Further, it would've taken you several days longer with a shorter stay in Denver. But hey, you can always drive next time. Then, you're the one in control. And you can be stupid enough to operate your machine in severe snow and ice.

Delta can't afford to be that stupid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back