Snowy 24 hours in Denver

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
In Denver for my two year old Grandson's birthday party later today.

About 10am yesterday it started snowing in Denver. The Grandkids were able to sled this morning. Avis gave me a Suburban for my rental- about six inches of snow on it this morning. The roads had a lot of heat built up in them, so no accumulation on the roads.

The snow is all melting now- would not be surprised for it all to be gone before I catch 0530 flight out tomorrow morning. I have driven from the east coast to west coast six times in April/ May- all I can say it has been snowiest late spring that I can recall. All but one of my trips from South Carolina to Washington state involved snow.

PXL_20220521_144354228.jpg
PXL_20220521_144425913.jpg

Pretty sweet rental. Did you have to pay Suburban rate for it, or was it a comp'ed upgrade?

Yea, this was pretty late for a heavy snowstorm, even for Denver. We hit 90 degrees the day prior.... Nuts!

Pretty sweet rental. Did you have to pay Suburban rate for it, or was it a comp'ed upgrade?

Yea, this was pretty late for a heavy snowstorm, even for Denver. We hit 90 degrees the day prior.... Nuts!
Dang. How often does this weather happen over there.

Reactions: Bud
I’m in Park City, UT this weekend and it snowed off and on yesterday all day, no real accumulation though.

How’d you like the Suburban?

I would like to send them some of this Texas heat we have been having this month.
Literally i hate this heat. And even though I've kept the thermostat around 76-77 against the kids wishes to save power and closed all the shutters to bounce some heat away and turn off the lights or even unscrew some to use less power my power bill was $521. Pure pain these days.

Literally i hate this heat. And even though I've kept the thermostat around 76-77 against the kids wishes to save power and closed all the shutters to bounce some heat away and turn off the lights or even unscrew some to use less power my power bill was $521. Pure pain these days.

Where in Texas are you ?

My son and daughter live there.

$521??? Yeouch

Over 90 degrees here the last 2 days ..first hot days of the year, i already miss Spring.
Utilities also went up and what one makes doesn't keep up enough it makes it hurt. I enjoy the best power bills when I don't run the heater or ac at all when it's a constant 60-70f. About $170 which is acceptable. I regret not getting solar panels when they were cheaper years ago to reduce costs. A friend did that a few years ago and by 6-7 years after installation they will pay themselves off completely and then some.

Last edited:

Comp'ed upgrade. I rent about 100 cars per year, Denver and El Paso are two locations the seem to roll out the welcome mat to frequent rental customers. Tampa is the least likely place to get a comp'ed upgrade in my experience.

I’m in Park City, UT this weekend and it snowed off and on yesterday all day, no real accumulation though.

How’d you like the Suburban?
Really liked it, although I picked it up at 230am Friday morning, drove it to my Daughter's, and didn't drive it again until 3am this morning on my trip back to the airport.

The drivetrain was awesome. Not overly gadgeted up. I can see why the Suburban is so popular. I did not have to park it; I imagine for soccer moms parking may be an issue. But for highway cruising- very nice. I had a loaded Ford Expedition in Tuscon about six months ago- have to say I like the Suburban better- primarily for the drivetrain and overall natural flow of all controls.

Its
When do you have time to work?? We need a report on the Navigator, trailers, trucks, etc.
Its called taking a 8pm departing flight from Seattle to Denver after working all day, and then getting up at 3am on Sunday morning to catch a 5:15 departing flight out of Denver. Not so fun but that is life.

My 8pm flight from SEA to DEN Thursday night departure was delayed 45 minutes for maintenance. When we landed in DEN, we were stuck in the tarmac for an hour; another plane was at out gate with a flat tire. I could see out the window almost all gates were open and available, but the CPT stated he was unable to park at any other gate. SO instead of departing the plane about 1130pm Thursday night, we departed well after 1am Friday morning. Then waited for the Avis shuttle. Made it to my Daughter's about 330am. And the grandsons' woke me up about 630am Friday morning. All is well- but traveling today is not typically some wonderful experience.

Here is a picture of the Avis shuttle bus at 403am this morning heading to the DEN terminal. Jammed packed. Even on a Sunday morning at 330am the road into DEN airport is pretty darn hectic and busy. Shuttle was standing room only- Sunday morning at 4am....

PXL_20220522_100305178.jpg

Made this outside beverage cooler for the birthday party. My Daughter and Wife did not like it- but the guests seemed to like it.

PXL_20220521_220557113.jpg

Usually about 2-3 times per year.
I remember one day when I went to work in the morning, it was 83°... by the time I left for home, there was 2' of snow on the ground. Sometimes, the weather here is pretty hard to predict. :)
I remember a couple days like that.
Yeah watching the bicycle riders slip and slide was really fun.

Back