What the Beatles songs mean to a Gen X'er

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a matter of opinion. I mean the Eagles had a great run, but how could one say they are definitively 2nd best rock band ever? The incredible influences of Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who, Sabbath, Clapton, The Allman Brothers and many, many, many others would have to rank as at least a for tops.

Last edited:
Quote:
You cannot deny the effect of the Beatles on pop culture.

Back in the para-mating ritual years someone asked if I liked The Beatles. I responded by asking him how often he played anything by them. I own maybe one Beatles CD ..never owned one piece of vinyl by them.

OTOH, I play the Stone's Sticky Fingers album frequently (among others). They just explored so much.

They were a catalyst for just about every form of progressive music from that point on ..with few exceptions.

I saw Paul McCartney on his '90 tour from a video. It was really good. I even bought the 2 CD set. Some unknown drummer he had was really good.

In a later tour, he snagged Chester Thompson as his drummer (Genesis, Phil Collins). Wow, talk about playing with the big boys! Chester had the best seat in the house.

While I found these enjoyable, by no means does it change my opinion of "she loves you yeah yeah yeah...."

"She Loves you yeah" was a very early Beatles song, not exactly a favorite of mine compared to their more serious works that came later, (the girls loved it) but it did make an impact, after all we are talking about it nearly 50 years later. All personal opinions.

people that don't understand the Beatles will cite 'she love you', or any other early pop song from them. fans will cite the white album or Sgt. Pepper's; just depends on what you're into.
same way w/ the Beach Boys- now people make fun of the surf and car stuff, but fans will talk about Pet Sounds.
there was a production quality and depth to music back then that doesn't exist anymore. it's hard for me to appreciate a modern song that was whipped up on a computer.

Also consider the fact that their entire body of work was only over a span of six years. Some bands go six years between albums.

The white album is in my top five of all time. So is Sticky Fingers, for that matter. To a first time listener today they may not sound completely different, but check the copyright date. That stuff was groundbreaking.

Last edited:
The Beatles have to be considered in the same way an old movie is.
At the time, they were new and groundbreaking.
When the novelty wears off and copies abound, our perception of them changes.
But no group has been as important in the long run. Not Elvis, MJ, etc..

BTW, Paul had a great interview in a guitar magazine about how the Beatles 'nicked' or stole their ideas and song/chord patterns from other music.
Soul, pop music, doo-wap, etc. He went through the whole list and how their respective chord progressions were made into the Beatle's flavor .

My fave era of the Beatles is their "eary beat" era. I`d say their first few lps. "Don`t Bother Me" being my absolute favorite song by them.......probably one of my favorite songs of all time! Feast your ears on this mind-blowing beat tune from 1964!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGxvhAiOt-A

Last edited:
To me they are a bunch of hippies that does lots of substance abuse and got popular because, well, they were the only game in town.

To me their sound is timeless, as far as substance abuse goes they would never hold a candle to any of the Stones or Ozzy. Especially Paul, I just don't think he was that into it and they were all just mild experimenters as much as anything.

To me they were once a symbol of youth and innocence...now, as I've matured they represent how destructive the 60's were and also how ignorant that whole decade was.
Don't care for them, over played, and tired of them being treated like some sort of Gods.

I like them and think their music is outstanding and they really pushed the artistic aspects of popular music. I don't care about some of the members' activism. I've listened to an interview where a couple of them regretted drug use after seeing its affect on the population.

A lot of us come out of school wanting to change the world. The four lads from Liverpool really did it.

Partly, it was timing. If they'd started and come to America a little earlier, they'd have had to compete with Elvis before he went in the Army and was huger than huge in pop culture. There was also the feeling in America after we lost John Kennedy, even the teens were feeling it, and here came these fresh-faced kids with catchy lyrics and melodies (listen to "I Saw Her Standing There" and you'll understand, in part, what all the fuss was about) to make listeners feel good again.

The Beatles also were big enough, and good enough, to star in Marx Brothers-like movies about themselves, and so reach more fans or cement their hold on the original ones.

Then of course we had the stuff like Lennon's comment that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, the drugs, the Maharishi business, Lennon being photographed in the bathtub with Yoko, all of that. Whether they led the cultural change or pushed it from behind, they were part of it, and any cultural history of that time is going to have them in it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
To me they are a bunch of hippies that does lots of substance abuse and got popular because, well, they were the only game in town.

only game in town? care to explain?

Since John Lennon is not on this forum, I am going to defend his 'Jesus' statement.
He said that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. But he also explained that he did not mean that they were better than him, or gods.
It was just a statement of fact at the time in this world, which may have been true. Certainly from his perspective, more recognition and adulation was given to the Beatles than what was apparently shown to Jesus around the world.

BTW, the Beatles did not jump on center stage overnight, like many new 'talents'. Years of grinding it out in small venues came first.
At minimum, they were a very very good garage band.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

only game in town? care to explain?

To me they seems to be, if you want something that is old school, you only notice Beatles being played. I haven't heard much other stuff from that era from other bands or singers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back