Any Other Merle Haggard Fans?

He was an entertainer that could go by just his first name; "Merle", and people would know who we are talking about.
Just like, Johnny, Willie, Waylon, Kris(not Chris) etc., etc.
There are precious few who would have been ableI(if they chose) to do that who aren't already doing that like, e.g., Cher, Madonna, Beyoncé

Garth
Trace
Toby(RIP).
You get the idea. You just know who people are speaking of when ONLY their first name is mentioned.

Last edited:
Put strings on a chunk of wood, and Merle could play it!
I have my Mother's old violin that I inherited. Made in the early 1900's. Need new strings and horse hair on the bow.
I can play a little guitar, but not good by any means. No frets on a violin, so it would probably throw me off.

Wish I was talented. My Grandma had a piano and organ. She was the local church organist and taught me how to play a little.
I filled in for her a couple times at church, if she was absent, but sure never filled her shoes.

He not only had his own style (somewhat mimicking Lefty Frizzel), he could replicate many other artists of his time. YouTube videos of him singing a Marty Robbin’s song to Marty. I think he would have stayed popular longer in his career had he not took up smoking pot. (In a fog) He lost so much of his wealth through multiple marriages and tax issues. He was involved in the legal system way too much. I guess he started his adulthood that way - in prison…. Mama tried.

He not only had his own style (somewhat mimicking Lefty Frizzel), he could replicate many other artists of his time. YouTube videos of him singing a Marty Robbin’s song to Marty. I think he would have stayed popular longer in his career had he not took up smoking pot. (In a fog) He lost so much of his wealth through multiple marriages and tax issues. He was involved in the legal system way too much. I guess he started his adulthood that way - in prison…. Mama tried.
He did some good imitations! Watched them before.

Merle lived about a mile from me when I lived in Palo Cedro. He was a very nice man and loved his community and every one seemed to love him. When he passed away it seemed Palo Cedro lost something. Silver wings is my favorite Merle song.

Saw him once in concert. Favorite song: "Holding Things Together." I saw Vince Gill sing that with The Time Jumpers at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

There was a wild land [grass] fire in the area where Merle lived and my son was learning to drive at the time and said dad lets see if Willie Nelson and Merle were smoking a joint and started the fire . My son drove us to where Merle lived and the fire wasn't at Merles place. Humorous history and kids these days.

Find the video of Merle and Tammy doing " Today I started loving you again." Filmed in a London stadium. Merle was in his prime and had it dialed in. When Tammy hits her first note, she hits it out of the park. Two legends and great American ambassadors.

Back