The 25 Greatest Songs Of All Time

God only knows and Born to run are my two favorites from the OP's list. I have always like Garth Brooks and Elvis as a couple of my favorite singers of all time. The Statler Bros have some great old tunes as well if you want to go way back.

"Rock With You" by Michael Jackson almost seems like they picked it by throwing a dart at a long list of songs.... Although I do like that song. Kudos for not taking the easy way out and choosing something from Thriller.

Forgot some Honorable mentions from the Fifities and early Sixities heard on Dad's AM car radio from the back seat
Songs that are a touchpoint; songs that stick with you .

If the list is expanded to include tunes, that is melody’s without words, then Pachelbel’s Cannon in D belongs on the list. The chord progression used became the basis of many, many pop and rock and even rap songs since it sounds so nice to the ear. Yea, overdone on the wedding circuit but you are hearing it almost everyday without realizing it.

If the list is expanded to include tunes, that is melody’s without words, then Pachelbel’s Cannon in D belongs on the list. The chord progression used became the basis of many, many pop and rock and even rap songs since it sounds so nice to the ear. Yea, overdone on the wedding circuit but you are hearing it almost everyday without realizing it.

Arrrghhh! Where are my cyanide tabs !

Last edited:
This is as far as I can go with cut little baroque ditties. They are miserable if not well played, I am not a big Lang Lang, fan but this is done quite well here

Playing on YouTube. Just sayin all the rock, pop and rap stars use this melody without shame because everyone likes it even if they say they don’t.

Some Italian Baroque Ear candy. For the Rockers out there, pretend it's a YES progressive rock interlude :)

This should be heard on Harpsichord, but I couldn't find a well played version of my liking

Scarlatti Keyboard Sonata K97 in D Major

Some members of Metallica had to wipe tears away when Elton John told them "Nothing Else Matters" is one of the best songs ever written. Elton John knows a thing or two about music and played piano on a cover version of it. So there you go, I guess. With San Francisco Symphony live version:

Some members of Metallica had to wipe tears away when Elton John told them "Nothing Else Matters" is one of the best songs ever written. Elton John knows a thing or two about music and played piano on a cover version of it. So there you go, I guess. With San Francisco Symphony live version:

Fade to Black is another epic ballad. James knows a thing or two about writing good music.

Fade to Black is another epic ballad. James knows a thing or two about writing good music.
Yes, I'd choose listening to Fade to Black nearly every time over Nothing Else Matters.

Funny how Nothing Else Matters gets so much praise, yet it's a simple song compared to lots of other Metallica songs that have so many transitions each would be three separate songs if done by most other bands.

What? I should link to a live performance of Fade to Black? ok.

My top 25 wouldn't even come close to resembling that list. Two months from now, my top 25 probably wouldn't resemble my own top 25 from today. It's ever-changing and very fluid depending on the day and the mood,...that's what music is about. :cool: 🍻

I think we have some accounting due for the "All Time" aspect;
We cannot be stuck with but our contemporaries.

So I now submit: Ye Ladye Greene Sleves

Next, Being Scottish, this following tune was big hit in the Household in Lafayette, going back 100 years -

If the author wants to be truly hardcore to the very beginnings of recorded music, he needs to go all the way back to the days of wax cylinders.

How can we be so narrow minded!
There are so many Patriotic Songs wee all know by heart, and of course the wonderful church Hymns

Lest we forget ...

Red River Valley – 1896
Home on the Range – 1873 (by Daniel Kelly & Brewster M. Higley)
Oh My Darling Clementine – 1863 (by Percy Montrose & H S. Thompson)
I’ve Been Working On The Railroad – 1894 (copyright is probably older)
Camptown Races* – 1850 (Stephen Foster)
Mary Had a Little Lamb – (1830 Lyrics
Old MacDonald Had A Farm – 1859
Amazing Grace – 1800

and with a nod to Christmas ...
Jingle Bells – 1857 (by James Pierpont)

Back