What should be a domestic beater car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24

My cousins had a Cavalier of this era, a 2004 if I remember correctly. It had lots of issues with under 150K miles, many sensors went bad, the A/C went out, transmission had to be replaced once, and the second was acting up, and ultimately the engine failed and they got a Corolla to replace it. Having said this, I have also heard of the Cavalier going to 200K plus on the original engine / transmission, but everything else seems to fall apart.

I owned a 1995 and a 2003 Cavalier, they were good A to B cars. Fairly comfortable, a good amount of room, enough power for everyday driving. Surprisingly, they had less issues than your Accords.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

They rattle, leak oil, and rust away prematurely: still its one of the best dam cars GM ever built. up to you...

My Corolla does all those besides the rusting.....What a POS! I could have bought a nice Ion Redline or Cobalt SS for the cash I laid down on a brand new Toyota Turd!

My vote would be a Focus, 1st gen Fusion, the older Taurii, Crown Vic/Grand Monkey or a Chevy Impala/Malibu. The Chevy twins should be OK f the lower intake manifold gaskets have been changed to the updated Fel-Pro/GM OEM ones and if the basics have been taken care of. The Taurus should be good as long as it's a Vulcan V6 with an intact AX4N tranny.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Thanks, that's helpful link. Fortunately, 06 Civic has timing chain and not a belt!

Going to read the link.

I believe the same is true for the 2006 Focus. Around that time they got the Duratec 2.0L engine that uses a timing chain.

are these the ones with the "strange" one big box (change at 150k miles) air filter assembly?

Depends on if it's a PZEV model or not. If it's not a PZEV, it will just have a regular $12 paper element filter.

Focuses seem to be good beaters. And, if you shop around, you can get a 08 for $2K!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

They rattle, leak oil, and rust away prematurely: still its one of the best dam cars GM ever built. up to you...

My Corolla does all those besides the rusting.....What a POS! I could have bought a nice Ion Redline or Cobalt SS for the cash I laid down on a brand new Toyota Turd!

Sell It! and buy a Cavalier...

All Chevy Cavalier and Cobalt; Cruze after the first couple years of production (2013+ is a safe bet). Very dependable cars.

Last edited:
Cobalt or older Focus pretty much nails it. Generally reliable powertrains with garbage interiors. They're not terribly nice places to be. Yet they just won't die.

If you want a higher-grade beater, an older new-style Focus or older previous-generation Cruze would work. Those are proving fairly unkillable also.

With all those, parts are pretty darned cheap. At least with the Cruze, a lot of OEM parts are still available at surprisingly reasonable prices. And the aftermarket has stepped up to fix things like the chronic water pump leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back