Beater: Should I buy this car?

I’m changing jobs, which will require me to commute, (old job didn’t). So I’m looking for a cheap commuter car.

2010 Scion xD 167,000 miles

I test drove it. Here’s what I found.

Positives: 1 owner car. Carfax shows oil changes done roughly every 7-8k miles.
Dealer services (pro or con?)
No major issues: cv axles good. No oil leaks.
A/C blows very good.
Suspension tight. Not bouncy.

Cons:
Steering wheel pulse when braking.
Wheel bearing roaring at speed.
Rear taillight has damage. Looks like a low impact crash. BUT the car is a clean title. Looks very low impact fender bender.

So the drivetrain checks out. Shifts perfectly. A few mechanical issues. No engine mount issues. Smooth as butter.

Out the door price: $3100. What do you guys say? Any issues I should know about on the xD?

Seems like a good deal to me. I plan to fix the issues myself diy.

IMG_1561.jpeg

IMG_1562.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

Sounds OK to me, it would be nice if didn't need so much work, but if your market has a nice looking one for $6k+, then I guess its worth fixing up. Is the interior OK? I suspect they would take a bit less, just to get rid of it without a hassle... Up here that car wouldn't sell all that fast at $3k Cdn, but it probably would get some attention and go eventually, for somewhere between 2500-3000. IMO

Good Corolla bones, slightly smaller than a Matrix/Vibe, but I think you can find a better deal.

For example: I just got this 2009 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) for $2900. One owner, 165k miles, clean title.
1000016139.jpg

At the same time had a deal secured for this Scion Xa, basically a 4dr Yaris. 200k, clean title, $2500, 5MT. Lack of cruise control was the deal breaker here, as I now got a lengthy commute. But cosmetically it was better than the Vibe, both interior and exterior. Roof/hood were repainted gloss black, looked really nice in person. Not a rattlecan backyard special.
1000015954.jpg

Anyways, I'd look some more.
Try 1st/2nd gen Prius, or Civic Hybrid (these also came manual).

I'm a little sketched out it's by a dealer but impressed they didn't try to put lipstick on a pig and repaint it, fix the bumper, etc. My biggest worry would be that the AC leaks and they charged it up the same day they showed it to you.

You can probably get a new bumper cover in unpainted matte black for around $100 on ebay. Unfold it from its box, let it sit in the sun, it'll take its shape.

What does commute mean? I couldn't put myself in something so miserable. And I don't mean that in a snobby way of spending more. You can probably spend the same on an Avalon or ES300.
I have been looking around on auto trader, and prices for cars are insane. 2000 Toyota Solara with 110k miles for $8k. That’s why I’ve been considering this car.

Good Corolla bones, slightly smaller than a Matrix/Vibe, but I think you can find a better deal.

For example: I just got this 2009 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) for $2900. One owner, 165k miles, clean title.
View attachment 205973

At the same time had a deal secured for this Scion Xa, basically a 4dr Yaris. 200k, clean title, $2500, 5MT. Lack of cruise control was the deal breaker here, as I now got a lengthy commute. But cosmetically it was better than the Vibe, both interior and exterior. Roof/hood were repainted gloss black, looked really nice in person. Not a rattlecan backyard special.
View attachment 205969
Anyways, I'd look some more.
Try 1st/2nd gen Prius, or Civic Hybrid (these also came manual).
Those are very good deals. The vibe especially. How long did it take you to find this car? I have 2 weeks to find a car. My search on autotrader and cars.com has been nothing but outrageous. Car prices are wild these days.

A great reliable POS car (meaning reliable but you don't care about dents). A friend's dad has one just like that but grayish/silver. I just did a water pump for him at 360k miles. The car is getting a little rough, but what a tank. He's looking for another one but in manual to replace it soon.

Back