Beater: Should I buy this car?

Those are very good deals. The vibe especially. How long did it take you to find this car? I have 2 weeks to find a car. My search on autotrader and cars.com has been nothing but outrageous. Car prices are wild these days.
I had 2 days. If I had more - I'd likely end up with a Honda Fit. But due to time constraints it's the Vibe. But I'm happy with it so far.
It's more fuel efficient than my 2009 Scion xB was with the same powertrain. And it's more peppy than either of my 2003 or 2008 Pontiac Vibes ever were. So a good balanced combo there.
Now just gotta sand that roof and hood and give it some paint. Still debating between spending money on professional, or going Rustoleum Turbo can route.

Ok, there are better deals out there for sure. I guess I should keep looking, but I'm not completely diregarding this xD. I like the maintenance history and health of the mechanicals. The issues are only cosmetic. I'm also just sticker shocked by car prices out there today. I don't know how I could find a comparable car for $2,900.

1709231168382.jpg

Ok, there are better deals out there for sure. I guess I should keep looking, but I'm not completely diregarding this xD. I like the maintenance history and health of the mechanicals. The issues are only cosmetic. I'm also just sticker shocked by car prices out there today. I don't know how I could find a comparable car for $2,900.

View attachment 205978
Don't look on AutoTrader.
AutoTrader is for newer cars at dealerships.

Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, and Craigslist.
^This. I was exclusively on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. No other way to find a good deal. But it does take lots of patience. I looked at 100-150 listings, and only 5 were worthy enough to look at in person, and out of those 5 came the 1 I purchased.

How about this? It's a Ford Taurus basically, right? Those are reliable aren't they? 110k miles. No obvious body damage. I care most for reliability and easy fixeability. Would something like this be impossible to get parts for?

1709231914573.jpg

How about this? It's a Ford Taurus basically, right? Those are reliable aren't they? 110k miles. No obvious body damage. I care most for reliability and easy fixeability. Would something like this be impossible to get parts for?

View attachment 205984
Ford Fusion. Should be good. Same as Mazda 6. Make sure it's a 4 cylinder though. As 6 cylinder ones are gas guzzlers and have weak automatic transmissions. The 4 cylinder ones (should be 2.3L) do go through a thermostat once every 50k-80k miles. On highway should tickle 30-31MPG, or at least my 2008 Mazda 6 2.3L/5MT did.

Last edited:

View attachment 205984
You do know it's a manual transmission. That would be a positive in an old car, and more fun to drive.

If you're on Craigslist, maybe these cheap cars look good,

If you are mechanically able to do the repairs yourself to save $$$, in this day and age that is not a bad price.
It will need approx $500 in DIY parts (i'm spitballing) for brakes, wheel bearings, all fluids changed.
Hopefully the tires are good.
Good luck.

If you are mechanically able to do the repairs yourself to save $$$, in this day and age that is not a bad price.
It will need approx $500 in DIY parts (i'm spitballing) for brakes, wheel bearings, all fluids changed.
Hopefully the tires are good.
Good luck.
That thing is what parents buy for a 16 year olds first car with a C minus grade point average. An unmarried adult would be embarrassed to be seen in it. There are beaters and there are nasty beaters. This is the latter.

Back