What Repairs Are Needed On Your Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'94 LS400: Wash and Wax

'00 E430: Just did rear pads and flush brake fluid last weekend. It needs 4 tires as it is less than 2/32", oil + filter and a coat of wax.
All 4 tires are around 2/32, the legal limit, but they perform very well on dry surfaces and very quiet too. Since we do not have any rain in So Cal from now until Nov-Dec, the car is safe to drive for another 1-2k miles.

'04 S2000: Flush brake fluid and a coat of wax.

:D What DOESN'T need to be done is the short list!

I'm not 100% sure, but something close to:

- complete brakes;
- tie rods;
- complete suspension, including bushings, shocks, etc..;
- possibly ball joints;
- O2 sensor or 'something' tripping the CEL;
- exhaust system;
- tranny fluid and filter replacement and check for other issues;
- blower motor;
- oil change;

I'm sure there's more.....

- plugs in 9k miles
- suspension feels like it can be tighter. Probably tie rods, ball joints, and the struts might be the originals with 91k now.
- wondering about the fuel filter
- might see if the rear valve cover needs to be changed to an 04 one when I do the plugs since they're known for leaking oil into the plug holes.

That's all I know of now. Tires are 1 year old, so are the brakes, and pretty much all the fluids too. Oil change some time this week with either Ultra or Rotella T syn.

I've spend the last 2 years getting all the maintenance items in order. Seems I have been spending the last little while getting repairs done on issues that have been cropping up.

Right now the only outstanding big issue that I have is to get the driver side axle replaced this week. Not that anything is wrong with it, just that with the miles and considering the passenger side was replaced recently I will feel more comfortable having this done now rather than waiting for an issue to develop.

There is some dampness around the lower spring plate for the rear struts but they are still working fine so I'm not touching that.

No visible corrosion but at least once/year I remove the battery terminals, clean them up, coat with dielectric grease and reinstall... need to get that done.

Once these items are done it should be ready for the trip to Texas.

02 Neon : Needs Lower control arm bushings, I have them, just too lazy to install them.

04 SRT4 : Going to need to do the timing belt in about 6k miles.

01 Ram : Up to date.

94 Cherokee: Up to date.

my saturn has a tire near its endlife. I have another tire sitting on a shelf waiting to be all mounted up. Front end was clunking, found the sway bar rubbing. (was all apart doing the subframe last december.) Flipped it around and it stopped but now I hear a more distant clunk.

Wife's saturn needs an oil leak fixed, hope it's the drain plug. Have the washer, waiting for it to be a quart low so I get my money out of the oil that's in there. Also it needs an engine cradle for its next state inspection which is coming right up. Might need an alignment which I'm putting off until I do the cradle.

Van needs some bondo sanded down. Was making my mercedes look nice and I had a little left over so I slapped it on a low spot from a previous half baked rust repair.

Mercedes has coat 2 of 6 of paint and is due for its first wet-sanding when I get home.

Virago has an ineffective electric starter, grinds and makes noise per terrible design, so I just roll start it 99% of the time.

Critic, I doubt your axles are bad. I've parted out a few of these, they never break, and have some you can have for shipping. If they aren't making noise or leaking grease you should leave 'em alone.

Also had a brake pad too tight in its caliper bracket on the wife's car, check that out first, could just need a little grinding and anti-sieze/lube of your choice.

Not a darn thing! That is why I buy new vehicles with a warranty. #1 they seldom need anything done other than routine maintenance until 3-5 years or so down the road but if they do it is covered.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

Ok, I thought of something just to contribute along the lines of what the OP is asking. I have to sand and touch up the paint on the safety chain hook slots on my trailer hitch. The chain hooks vibrate and move around alot while driving and as a result they wear the paint off and you get rust. It has happened to yet another truck of mine. I generally have to do this every 1-2 years to keep the hitch from turning into a rusted lump on about every truck I have owned.

Does that count?
21.gif
48.gif
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The Vic reports a system readiness level of 100%.

Same here...In fact that goes for all 3 Panthers and my friends 97 CVPI with 300K miles on it.

Lets See...

2007 Equinox. Just really needs a good cleaning.

2000 Trans Am WS6. Needs an exhuast hanger. I bottomed out and one of them broke off.

1998 Buick Regal GS. Needs an oil change and some new tires.

1989 GMC Sierra 1 ton. I need to do the front brakes before my trip to Yellowstone. I should do the valve cover gasket on the drivers side.

1995 Fleetwood Prowler 28 foot 5th wheel Trailer. I have to do the brakes and repack the wheel bearings this season. I also need to fix the propane regulator it has a leak.

The Neon needs an inner tie rod end and maybe a new hub/wheel bearing on the same side. Something is out of round and I think it killed the tie rod end. Getting it looked at tomorrow.
Tracker needs nothing that I know of, a good clean out and wash I guess and sometime this summer I should change the rear dif and transfercase oil

My truck needs some paint, dents removed, and the bed liner patched in spots. This stuff hasn't happened because it's just going to get messed up again, and I have more important things to spend my time and money on.

Also, the parking brake return spring is broken. It's a common thing on Rangers. It doesn't affect the way the brake operates (it just causes the handle to rattle), so I'm going to leave it. Apparently the spring is held in with a rivet and it's more trouble than it's worth to fix.

92 toyota camry, head gasket but not worth replacing, just add oil and the drive indicator light but not worth replacing

1997 Mitsubishi 3000Gt, nothing that I know of

2000 Buick regal, rear seat cup holder-not worth replacing
Drivers side heated seat element-not worth replacing

about all that I am aware of, basically I try to keep all mechanical problems resolved, only garbage incidentals do not get repaired

'66 Polara- starting to need lower control arm bushings
'99 Jeep- nothing
'05 PT- due for coolant flush/fill

On my Xj12, I need to remove the crankshaft damper and have it sent out for a rebuild, replace the front subframe V-mounts, and replace the front springs.

I can remove and replace the damper myself, and probably do the subframe mounts, in my little shop, but the springs are another story. It takes a special Jaguar tool to compress them that I don't have. No way am I going to trust my life to a conventional spring compressor, so I will probably take it to Tulsa to have this done, and probably all the front end bushings and wear parts while they have it apart.

I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but have other cars to drive, and space in my shop for the Xj12 to sit, so I just haven't got around to it. A poor excuse, really, considering how nice the car is and what it cost.

edit: Oh, and the '99 S-10 has a rattly clutch throw out bearing. When it breaks, I'll have everything between the flywheel and rear axle gone over by a transmission shop.

Last edited:
My tranny shifts hard at random times; shut the car off for a few minutes and restart, and the issue goes away. It's going to be hard to trace down.

The rear window defroster seems to be out; the fuse that controls it also controls items that work, so it might be something to do with the relay.

The hat shelf under the rear window has an occasional click/creak that I can hear up in the front, possibly something to do with those durned child seat anchors.

Brighter headlight bulbs and a thorough polishing of the headlight lenses, so I can see ahead better.

Motor mounts would be desirable but Lexus wants almost $200 for the pair, maybe more.
I'd like new tires and an alignment. Old tires are no fun.
Some suspension bushings are old and creaky.
Misc. interior rattles
Sound system is tired out
Power steering is stiff and the rack may need replacement
A/C isn't as cold as it used to be or should be
blah, I could write a term paper about this.

1994 Geo Prizm 252K miles:

When is that clutch going to fail? Still going on the factory clutch, but some days it picks up earlier than others, so probably a soon to fail master or slave cylinder, or other.

It leaks oil, at 252K miles and at the rate of 1qt every 1000-1500 miles I'll probably just keep parking over a box full of kitty litter and keep adding oil.

It has a side marker bulb that is out, and I'll get one tonight.

The HVAC controls are rattling and I've been in there several times trying to figure out what is rattling. I hit it with some white lithium grease, but it's still making noise in some modes, so I've not completely hit the spot yet.

Warped rotors. I got rid of the vibrations from the bad axle and now just have the warped rotors to deal with, probably in two weeks, a weekend I'm not on call, nor do I have time with my daughter.

2002 Camry with 217K miles. It give the cat low efficiency code. We just keep driving it. No emissions testing and the teens are driving it, so if we put any money into it, they would wreck the car :)

2002 Sienna 96K miles, nothing.

2010 Altima 8 K miles, nothing, as it should be.

small things for firebird,radiator flush and refill,lower radiator hose,(planning to change the upper as well while im at it) and small oil leak,(planning to fix it when it start leak big.

other than that,just a regular maintenance every now and then.
i must say, pontiac has never given me any major worries.
but why would it? american made cars are the BEST
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back