Your opinion on Post-Covid vehicle repair shop timeline

Called my oil company in early Sept for a furnace tune up. 31-Dec was the date they could do it.
Called my oil company for a tune-up 3 weeks ago and they were out 2-days later. They found an issue and had to order a part and they were back out 5 days later. Some companies manage their schedule better than others.

I would find a new shop. Most places where I live get your car in and work on it the same day. The longest my vehicle ever sat in a shop was for a couple of days. I don't believe Covid affected car repair shops in my area that much.
JC,

My trailer broke down at 5pm on I90 on a Memorial Day weekend 50 miles west of Sioux Falls, SD. Limped off I90 and happen to be a trailer dealer. The dealer was closed, but they left on the window the four names and numbers of the men that worked at the dealership. I called one of the numbers, the man said he was 50 miles away, but told me to go 1/2 mile into town, see Bill, and he could take care of it.

I went into town, now 6pm on the Friday of memorial day weekend. Bill stopped what he was doing and fixed my issue.

As someone who travels and lives cross country for the past 30 years, I can tell you what goes on in South Dakota does not go on in the majority of the USA. You live in a magical place that still has the values of the pioneers and the greatest generation - today. Regrettably, most of the USA doesn't share the values of the people of South Dakota.

We have targeted South Dakota as one of the states to retire to (although unlikely). If we had young children, I would sacrifice most anything to raise kids in South Dakota.

JC,

My trailer broke down at 5pm on I90 on a Memorial Day weekend 50 miles west of Sioux Falls, SD. Limped off I90 and happen to be a trailer dealer. The dealer was closed, but they left on the window the four names and numbers of the men that worked at the dealership. I called one of the numbers, the man said he was 50 miles away, but told me to go 1/2 mile into town, see Bill, and he could take care of it.

I went into town, now 6pm on the Friday of memorial day weekend. Bill stopped what he was doing and fixed my issue.

As someone who travels and lives cross country for the past 30 years, I can tell you what goes on in South Dakota does not go on in the majority of the USA. You live in a magical place that still has the values of the pioneers and the greatest generation - today. Regrettably, most of the USA doesn't share the values of the people of South Dakota.

We have targeted South Dakota as one of the states to retire to (although unlikely). If we had young children, I would sacrifice most anything to raise kids in South Dakota.

South Dakota and Wyoming are other worlds completely. Grew up in Wyoming, spent a lot of time in Rapid City & the surrounding areas, you can actually get something done in those places because people are willing to help and doing something right is part of their pride. I hit a deer on I-90 coming through Sundance at midnight, and the first car that came along stopped and picked me up and took me to Gillette. You better have an Uber account if that happens to you here. Living in the cesspits (large cities like Dallas) means you have to beg and babysit to get anything done. I've been telling people for years that I might like to retire in Rapid City if it weren't for all the snow.

Last edited:
It doesn't help that as mechanics and skilled tradesmen retire, they aren't exactly being replaced to keep up with demand. And some companies don't care as they can charge more for each job rand turn down work rather than being more competitive like they were years ago.

Gen X parents want their kids to go to college, not be a mechanic or a HVAC tech. A parent would rather brag about his daughter being an RN making 6 figures than having a son that never went to college and is a mechanic making $75K a year.
Oddly, there's a shortage in both of those areas. As well as most every other area. Hearing stories of co-workers with kids in their 20's still living at home that quit college and bounce from part time job to part time job, it's not shocking. Being anecdotal I don't know how prevalent it actually is, but hearing about their kids turn down positions to work into management because it's 40+ hours per week baffles me. In a couple years could make $60k+ as someone under 25 and it's too much work. Not my work ethic.

Wiped everything clean on the bottom side a few days ago after a thorough degreasing, and added dye to the transmission. Seems like a torque converter leak to me, as the glowing fluid is coming out above the bottom of the bell housing and running across the engine oil pan and down the inspection cover. Time to consult with transmission shop #2.

Screenshot_20230116-200739-634.jpg

Back