What oil for 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.6l V6?

Sounds good. I would guess previous owner had 0w20 used. I think it has 140k miles
2016-2021 WK2 JCG was the PUG (Pentastar upgrade) and the blasted CAFE regulations made them 0w20 instead of the musical viscosities they once were.

It’s your vehicle, you can try 5wXX, 0wXX, monitor engine noise, throttle response and/or MPG. Or stick the the manufactures spec. Amazon, and Walmart are your BFFs if you want synthetic oil and Mopar oil filters at a cheap price.

The sky is the limit!

Mobil 1 Ep with a fram ultra in our 2019 wrangler and it’s super quiet. I run the same in my 5.7 hemi Durango and zero hemi tick at 88k so far

Well, if you want to say what went wrong with the car, I would appreciate it
Sure, I deleted because it used 5W20, not 0W20. Engine was the only solid thing about it (it was a Cherokee, not a Grand). The nine speed transmission never shifted properly and would clunk at 40 mph when shifting going up or down a grade. They always said it was a software problem and did countless flashes; none worked. Transfer case went out (AWD Limited) at about 70,0000. Had a TSB out for it, but even though it was the same transfer case part number, they would not cover it because it wasn't the more off-road 4X4 system. All kinds of electrical gremlins, especially in the shifter. Also had to replace the battery current sensor 3 times (went through batteries about every 2 years). This last year, at about 85,000 miles, the dreaded oil cooler housing leak started. This is something in particular you should watch for if yours has not had it replaced. The housing is made of polymer and eventually heat from the engine causes it to warp and not marry up flush to the metal on the engine correctly, so oil leaks onto the engine valley and you can't see it until there is enough built up to drip on the floor. Even then, if you have one of those plastic air dams under the engine for better fuel economy, you might not see it for an even longer amount of time. Luckily I saw it when changing my oil and found the mess, but you really need to be checking your oil level regularly. The fix is a metal housing, but they are hard to find sometimes. Dorman is the only one I know of making them. Job isn't too bad to do yourself, but still a pain. This isn't my first rodeo with Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Had them for the last 30 years and it is always something. So tired of it; guess I'm a slow learner. I got rid of this Jeep and replaced with a 4Runner.

Last edited:
Sure, I deleted because it used 5W20, not 0W20. Engine was the only solid thing about it (it was a Cherokee, not a Grand). The nine speed transmission never shifted properly and would clunk at 40 mph when shifting going up or down a grade. They always said it was a software problem and did countless flashes; none worked. Transfer case went out (AWD Limited) at about 70,0000. Had a TSB out for it, but even though it was the same transfer case part number, they would not cover it because it wasn't the more off-road 4X4 system. All kinds of electrical gremlins, especially in the shifter. Also had to replace the battery current sensor 3 times (went through batteries about every 2 years). This last year, at about 85,000 miles, the dreaded oil cooler housing leak started. This is something in particular you should watch for if yours has not had it replaced. The housing is made of polymer and eventually heat from the engine causes it to warp and not marry up flush to the metal on the engine correctly, so oil leaks onto the engine valley and you can't see it until there is enough built up to drip on the floor. Even then, if you have one of those plastic air dams under the engine for better fuel economy, you might not see it for an even longer amount of time. Luckily I saw it when changing my oil and found the mess, but you really need to be checking your oil level regularly. The fix is a metal housing, but they are hard to find sometimes. Dorman is the only one I know of making them. Job isn't too bad to do yourself, but still a pain. This isn't my first rodeo with Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Had them for the last 30 years and it is always something. So tired of it; guess I'm a slow learner. I got rid of this Jeep and replaced with a 4Runner.
Thanks! I will check for that oil leak. Hopefully he has good luck

Make darn sure your dad or you doesn't over-torque the oil filter housing.

Fix a small wad of cotton rag onto a straightened piece of wire and fish it into the valley to see if the oil cooler is already leaking.
I forget the amount, but something over a quart can collect undetected. With enough volume, any leaked oil can then sloosh out the back and down the transmission.

A pal has the same vehicle.

Your right
My 3.6 oil filter housing has a torque spec of 18 lbs.

I'm with those who believe torque specs for plastic oil filter housings are unnecessary.
You screw then down until they "shoulder out".
A threshold amount of torque is needed to compress the large O-ring but that's incidental to the O-ring's material and density.

My dad bought a new car. He is considering doing an oil change, as previous owner had oil changes done at Valvoline, and quality is unknown.

I'm not sure on viscosity wise. Owner's manual call out 0w-20.

I don't really know anything about these cars.

Would a synthetic 5w-30 or 0w-40 be good, or should we stick with the 0w-20?

Also, any input on oil filters? Mopar, Wix?
I run the heck out of my 2018 JL 3.6 with mainly Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and Fram or M1 filters. I'd even run a Supertech filter and would sleep well. I tow with mine, too. Purrs like new at 78k miles. No need for the heavier oils. It'll run 300k or more on a good quality 0w20. I change my oil mostly at 5k but have gone as far as 7500. Oil analysis showed it to still be just fine after 7500.

What OCI do you suggest?

We always do a 1 year oil change regardless of millage.
My wife's car is a 2019 Grand Cherokee, I do the oil changes. I've been using mostly Pennzoil Platinum because with the rebate is the cheapest option, but other times I used Pennzoil Full Synthetic, Chevron Havoline (the 6 quarts box, this is the cheapest option with no rebates), al 0w20 no problems so far and I could not tell any difference between those oils, both in oil pressure and temperatures. As for oil filters I've used the Mopar, K&N, Super Tech, for the price Super Tech is very good.

What OCI do you suggest?

We always do a 1 year oil change regardless of millage.
I generally do one at the start of summer as I do a lot of towing in the summer with my Durango and another one during the winter months. I’m sure I could do one once a year but I drive this thing quite spiritedly, I drag race it at the local track during the spring/summer and tow as well. So usually by the end of fall, I feel more comfortable draining that oil out and starting fresh for the winter months lol.

My wife’s Jeep will most likely just be once a year change after we use up the free oil changes at the dealer. She has the chrysler gold extended warranty with free synthetic oil changes and they use pennzoil platinum atleast.

I’ve heard that generation of the 3.6 Pentastar has issues with the rocker arms and lifters that can be mitigated somewhat with a thicker oil. It won’t cure the inherent design flaw, but supposedly increases the time until failure
Have a 2015 JKU I gave to my oldest and it has a tick tick tick. Need to open her up and do the rocker arms. These are a known issue, with several updates to the rockers over the years. Probably will replace the cam that has the bad rocker arm as well. (Got some metal in the filter). I don’t think 5W30 would have given anymore life than 5W20.

Have run mostly Mobil 1 5W20 5K OCI’s its whole life with one 11k mile OCI with Mobil AP 5W20 and one Mobil 1 5W30 5K OCI. It has 105,000 miles. Mixed driving, pretty much a lifted pavement princess except when I go to the deer lease.

The good part about the 3.6 is they are kind of fun/easy to work on. When you do replace the oil cooler (you will trust me) there are plenty of videos on the process.

I just bought a 22 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and I think I’m going to trade it in for a Gladiator. My son won’t trade. I miss my Jeep.

Back