What oil for 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.6l V6?

My dad bought a new car. He is considering doing an oil change, as previous owner had oil changes done at Valvoline, and quality is unknown.

I'm not sure on viscosity wise. Owner's manual call out 0w-20.

I don't really know anything about these cars.

Would a synthetic 5w-30 or 0w-40 be good, or should we stick with the 0w-20?

Also, any input on oil filters? Mopar, Wix?

Use what the owners manual calls for, pick whatever brand you want, Valvoline is good choice so why not stick with what might possibly already be in it.

Microgard Select (O'reilly's) is an excellent filter, or go with the Mopar which you can pick up at Walmart.

What the owner's manual suggest and allows for. For example, the owner's manual may allow for heavier grade oils in warmer seasons/climates but may suggest a 0W20 for year'round use.

I have used Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in a 2017 Grand Cherokee with great results. 0w20 seems to work well from 40 below to over 100 degrees. I changed oil anywhere from 4000 miles in the winter to 8000 miles in the summer, the oil level never changes between oil changes. I have 80,000 on the Jeep and so far it has been trouble free. I did put 70w90 amsoil in the differentials instead of the 70w85 lube due to price and availalibity. The 0w20 works well for those days when its below zero as the jeep doesn't have a block heater nor a heated gargage.

Last edited:
Any good quality 0w30 or 5W30 will do fine in that engine, like Valvoline, M1, Castrol Edge, etc.

I always use a synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-20 in my 2014 Jeep GC limited. It doesn't use any oil and is almost at 82,000 miles. You can barely hear the engine run it is so smooth.

Make darn sure your dad or you doesn't over-torque the oil filter housing.

Fix a small wad of cotton rag onto a straightened piece of wire and fish it into the valley to see if the oil cooler is already leaking.
I forget the amount, but something over a quart can collect undetected. With enough volume, any leaked oil can then sloosh out the back and down the transmission.

A pal has the same vehicle.

I’ve heard that generation of the 3.6 Pentastar has issues with the rocker arms and lifters that can be mitigated somewhat with a thicker oil. It won’t cure the inherent design flaw, but supposedly increases the time until failure.

Any good 0w30 or 5W30 will do fine in that engine. I currently use Fram Ultra oil filters in my 2016 JKR with the 3.6L engine.

2016 JK 2dr (and my wife's 2016 Town & Country) - been running 5W-30 since first oil change. I'll use the Mopar 349 filter from Walmart as it's cheaper than the Fram here. If the Mopar is out of stock, it's the ST filter.

Make darn sure your dad or you doesn't over-torque the oil filter housing.

Fix a small wad of cotton rag onto a straightened piece of wire and fish it into the valley to see if the oil cooler is already leaking.
I forget the amount, but something over a quart can collect undetected. With enough volume, any leaked oil can then sloosh out the back and down the transmission.

A pal has the same vehicle.
Thanks. I’ll look into this.

0W-20 such as PP, Super Tech, Kirkland, an OE filter, change at least every 5,000 miles. Should take care of most drive cycles.
I cycle through cars to drive at our Jeep dealership.
JGC is my go to, it is such a good ride.
Sounds good. It rides pretty nice, but needs new rear shock, as it’s leaking. Previous owner had shocks changed 30k miles ago by firestone. Kyb brand, seems premature for failure

The car has a lot of highway miles.

19’ JGC Laredo X 62k on the clock, daily driven mix use city/hwy Midwest region suburban Illinois
M1 EP 0w20 6qts.
Mopar MO-349 oil filters
5k-8k OCI

19’ JGC Laredo X 62k on the clock, daily driven mix use city/hwy Midwest region suburban Illinois
M1 EP 0w20 6qts.
Mopar MO-349 oil filters
5k-8k OCI
Sounds good. I would guess previous owner had 0w20 used. I think it has 140k miles

Back