Used Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi and no reported oil changes

Been looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi V8. Found what looks to be a fair deal on a 2022 High Altitude with 32k miles that appears to be well taken care of. CarFax reports the dealer did a full maintenance on it including an oil change. But the CarFax also does not show a single maintenance item of any type up to that point, most importantly no oil changes. I understand not everything gets reported on CarFax, but this is the first vehicle I've run across that didn't show some level of owner initiated maintenance. I guess my question is, is this too much of a yellow flag on this vehicle? My understanding of the Hemi engine is that regular oil changes are critical to avoid expensive repairs down the road.

2022 would have included 3 years of free oil changes from Jeep, is this at a Jeep dealer? They can pull the records for you. Also possible the PO was a BITOG member.

It's hard to tell without looking at the car, I prefer maintenance records, but they could be fake, and CarFax can be wrong. One has to know how to check, or pay someone to check. When in doubt I pass.

Good deal with 32K miles and the car looks well cared for otherwise with no warranty work? Buying from a dealer? Ask for the previous owners contact info.

2022 would have included 3 years of free oil changes from Jeep, is this at a Jeep dealer? They can pull the records for you. Also possible the PO was a BITOG member.
Yes, I understand that was called "Jeep Wave" program, or something similar. I am used to seeing that as a line item on the original vehicle sticker (and very regular oil changes on the CarFax). For this vehicle its not there so probably was not included with the purchase.
Previous owner maybe a DIY guy. None of my cars show any maintenance beyond tire service for their entire 7-10 year life. Whatever you can see under the oil fill cap is a good indicator of care or lack thereof.
Yes, that was what the sales person surmised, but of course just speculation and can't be relied on.
It's hard to tell without looking at the car, I prefer maintenance records, but they could be fake, and CarFax can be wrong. One has to know how to check, or pay someone to check. When in doubt I pass.
Yes, I'm not a mechanic and seeing the car is out of state complicates matters of having a knowledgeable person perform this work for me.

Thanks all for the quick response, I am now at ease with a pass.

Been looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi V8. Found what looks to be a fair deal on a 2022 High Altitude with 32k miles that appears to be well taken care of. CarFax reports the dealer did a full maintenance on it including an oil change. But the CarFax also does not show a single maintenance item of any type up to that point, most importantly no oil changes. I understand not everything gets reported on CarFax, but this is the first vehicle I've run across that didn't show some level of owner initiated maintenance. I guess my question is, is this too much of a yellow flag on this vehicle? My understanding of the Hemi engine is that regular oil changes are critical to avoid expensive repairs down the road.
I have a 3 vehicles at home , none of them will have a repair history after the purchase date for me.
I never even bothered with the Free Oil Changes...
All you can do is make a judgement for yourself based on vehicle condition.

I do ALL my own maintenance. I was forced to bring one of my cars in for a recall. While there they did a 200 point inspection. They then presented me with a two page list of maintenance items that needed to be performed to the tune of $1700. I looked at the list and there was one item I had not done. Brake fluid exchange. Still haven't done it as I equate it to nitrogen in the tires. It will get changed when I do brake work on the car. They did not believe me when I told them I had done it all myself. F-em! If those clowns at the dealership can do it, I certainly can do it. Probably better.

I do ALL my own maintenance.
I do as well, up to the point of my skills and tools. I keep my vehicles for a very long time and don't concern myself with what the CarFax looks like when I sell it. But for me this is a large ticket item so just trying to improve my chances of a successful purchase :)

Maybe pay to have a valve cover removed
I'd love to heat the wordplay around that transaction. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it'd be interesting to hear how'd this dealer would take to having a vehicle worked on off premises.
Good deal with 32K miles
How do you know? The OP didn't say the price.
I think you made a wise decision, there will be others I'm sure!
Gotta go with that. While these Jeeps are 'revered' they are sold to the general public. And who knows better to trash a vehicle?

Seems kinda numpty to me to pass on a "fair deal" just because the Carfax is lacking oil change data. Did OP actually look at the car in person? Get a PPI? Owners who buy new cars that come with free maintenance generally don't pass that up. Hope you're not sorry a month later when you can't find a similar one and you say to yourself, I shouldn't have let that one get away.

If you pulled the maintenance records for my 2005 Odyssey, it would suggest the oil hasn't been changed since April of 2006.
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Last edited:
If you pulled the maintenance records for my 2005 Odyssey, it would suggest the oil hasn't been changed since April of 2006.
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
True. I think the point is you dont know as compared to other CarFax, majority actually, where I see an oil change like clockwork every 5-10k miles on newer vehicles.

Did OP actually look at the car in person? Get a PPI?
I've looked into that, I'm in FL the car is in VA. I even went as far as yelp to find someone that would do something like. I find they just look at brakes and such, maybe a cumputer diagnostic... I just have no clue how to find aa good trustworthy and knowlegable guy to look at the right things .. its hard being 1k miles away and not knowing anyone. I'm not a mechanic and would not know what to look for in person.

Carfax doesn’t show a single one of the oil changes I’ve done on my truck, but the Ram app I use does since I log them there. All carfax shows is the dealer entries and registration updates. It’s possible whoever owned it prior did the same or the shop just doesn’t report to carfax.
IMG_8637.png

Back