What oil for 07 silverado 5.3L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad just picked up an 07 Silverado with 8K on the clock. Its due for its first change with him, and he was asking me what I thought as far as oil and filters.

I am a fan of Napa Gold/wix filters, so I recommended that for filters.

As far as oil, I blindly said PP, but that I would see what I could find out.

Its an 07 Silverado, probably around 10K on the clock now, 2 wheel drive, 4 doors, doesnt do much hauling of heavy loads anymore, 5.3L, automatic.

Any suggestions?

PP works really well with GM V-8 engines - seem to keep the infamouse 'copper wear' down to a min. I'd use that, and change by the OLM (which your truck should have).....

PP and Napa Gold filters is a great idea.

I've used both Amsoil ASL and Pennzoil Platinum in my 2004 Silverado with the 5.3. Right now, I'm running PP in mine, as well as my dad's 2000 Sierra 5.3.

You're on the right track. Don't change a thing.

I have a NBS 07 Silverado Z71 4x4 with 5.3 engine and run PP 10w-30 with either an AC or Wix filter. Make sure you check your owner's manual on correct filter, cause GM changed the thread on the 07 filter from the 06 model. Many of the autoparts stores manuals are wrong on which filter to use. Correct one is PF-48.
Since, have tires rotated every 5-6k miles by local tire shop,
I change oil and filter same time myself adn reset the OLM, which has never come on yet! Monthly update from ONSTAR suggests going to 10k mile intervals on oil changes, but just can't do it yet....:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back