2014 silverado

I have a 2014 1/2ton silverado. Bought new and as soon as the first 4 dealer oil changes were done i switched over to mobil1 filter and oil in the recomended 0w20. Change oil and rotate tires every 7000 miles. Everything is fine so far at 148 000 miles. Also tuner turned off the afm at 100,000. Do you think the penzoil platimum would be a good alternative and be good to go 7k? I see it priced better and see lots of guys like penzoil. Also what do you think of 0w20?

Never really thought about time to 7k. Oil sensor always is at about 5 percent oil life left and its probably set for using gm 0w20 blend. So im sure any full synthetic will do good. Just wondered everyones thoughts on mobil1 vs the platinum carbon neutral stuff. Have a friend that can get oil analysys. Maybe i will get a few ov them done and compare. Bear with me im new to the forum. Thanks.

Better bang for buck and pretty much the same oil is Quaker State Full Synthetic $22/ 5qt or the new QS Ultimate Protection for $23 at wallyworld. I personally would go 5k miles oil changes, just me, and run a 5w30 or higher. A very good Pennzoil Platinum that held up w no usage in my kids Volvo was the Euro L 5w30. Running QSFS Euro 5w40 in my kids 08/09 5.3l Silverado presently.
Use what you like or have been doing but not a lot of difference in PP or the Mobil 1 you have been using, both will work.

Any oil will work, do you have any consumption though? I changed the oil in my 2021 escalade just yesterday and before draining i checked the stick and it showed no oil. It was about a quart and a half low after 7k miles. I won't use 0w-20 anymore. I've never towed with it and i don't drive it hard. Didn't get a low oil level warning though, but it probably didn't go low enough.

Guess i got a crappy Covid car with quality to match since it was made in mid 2020. I'll be using a 30 grade from now on.

Over 7k miles i end up using about a quart. I add a little about every 1200 miles or so. I am anal about keeping my level correct. I tow a little bit, nothing heavy. I hear about tight tolerences in these modern direct injection engines and am hesitant to use thicker stuff.

Over 7k miles i end up using about a quart. I add a little about every 1200 miles or so. I am anal about keeping my level correct. I tow a little bit, nothing heavy. I hear about tight tolerences in these modern direct injection engines and am hesitant to use thicker stuff.
Where did you hear that? Bearing clearances have not changed more than .005" in the last 70 years.
Engine block design, stiffer cranks and controlling harmonics to name a few, has allowed for closer cylinder to cylinder tolerances.

I'm not a blue pill Woke person, so 5W30 is the thinnest oil in my stash.
I've yet to find an engine that doesn't like XW40s.

I have a 2014 1/2ton silverado. Bought new and as soon as the first 4 dealer oil changes were done i switched over to mobil1 filter and oil in the recomended 0w20. Change oil and rotate tires every 7000 miles. Everything is fine so far at 148 000 miles. Also tuner turned off the afm at 100,000. Do you think the penzoil platimum would be a good alternative and be good to go 7k? I see it priced better and see lots of guys like penzoil. Also what do you think of 0w20?
Perfectly fine. Wont' make much of a difference. Mobil 1 Triple Action High Mileage would be a good option as well.

Any oil will work, do you have any consumption though? I changed the oil in my 2021 escalade just yesterday and before draining i checked the stick and it showed no oil. It was about a quart and a half low after 7k miles. I won't use 0w-20 anymore. I've never towed with it and i don't drive it hard. Didn't get a low oil level warning though, but it probably didn't go low enough.

Guess i got a crappy Covid car with quality to match since it was made in mid 2020. I'll be using a 30 grade from now on.
It’s best to use what GM recommends. Do an engine flush and get some Amsoil in there . The better base stock and anti-wear agents will slow that oil burning down . Also you can try Triax motor oil too

Switching brands will cause absolutely no ill effect whatsoever if anyone tells you differently it’s an old wives’ tale. Now that’s out of the way pennzoil platinum a long with the new Quaker state ultimate protection are mighty fine oil and priced just right. I’m currently running the platinum in my rogue.

Why don’t you start monitoring oil consumption between 5&6,000 miles? You could lower your oci instead of adding. Changing oil weight won’t stop consumption

I ran Mobil 1 Ow20 and an AcDelco PF63E on my 2015 Silverado until I had the dreaded lifter collapse at 80k.I tried Rotella Truck and Suv 0w20 after and delt with oil burnoff. Moved to Valvoline FS for about 20k miles , 5k mile oil changes. No real issues.Now I run Amsoil OE 0w20 or Amsoil Extended life 0w20 and the truck runs great. The truck tows a 5k lb boat multiple time a week, a SxS, Hauls wood, and what ever DIY projects I have. I'll be sticking with Amsoil.

The tight tolerances claim has been debunked. Nearly all cars sold in the US speced for 20 weight oil are speced for 30 and even 40 weight oil in most other countries (same engine) as those countries don't have the CAFE fines to automakers. To prove this, try downloading your owners manual form a Europe or Australia website for your automaker.

I've given up using 20 weight oil in all my vehicles long ago. I only use 5W-30 full synthetic. It's so nice to get the higher HTHS protection. The feeling of freedom (No longer having to be forced to use 20 weight oil) is really a nice feeling.

I've given up using 20 weight oil in all my vehicles long ago. I only use 5W-30 full synthetic. It's so nice to get the higher HTHS protection. The feeling of freedom (No longer having to be forced to use 20 weight oil) is really a nice feeling.
Yeah, I pretty much agree. I switched to 5W30 in my 2016 Avalon and I haven’t looked back since. However, I will say that used oil analysis with the 0W20 did come back looking unbelievable on 10,000 mile UOA’s. Very low wear metals, oil dropped in grade slightly but was still within a 20 weight.

But I feel the same, wanted the higher HTHS protection, as slight as that may be i wanted it. Zero issues running the 5W30 in a Toyota. And the actual engine (2GRFE) is still basically spec’d the same as when it used to call for a 5W30.

I did a little research on my own engine to see if there were differences. There isn’t.

My son has same truck. Used Penz. Platinum Ultra 0w-20 every 7000 miles. 144,000 no engine problems. Changed trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles Trans. went out 144,000 miles no towing lots of highway miles. What a bummer.

Back