What oil do you use in your Chrysler 300C HEMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing there isn't a while lot of thread on the 300C HEMI I just wanted to see who uses what?

Anyone seen a UOA on a MDS equipped HEMI yet?

I have the Hemi in my Ram 1500. I've used regular M1 5W20 with good UOAs on 3kmi OCIs and on one 5,500 mi OCI. I had tried RP 5W20 API SL. I quit after 2 consecutive UOA with 2-3x the Cu wear than with M1 (on 3k mi OCIs). Will be trying Qs TorqePower 5W20 at my next change.

Castrol Syntec 5W-20.5k OCI
grin.gif

I was thinking that too, very smart HEMI owners that are following the recommendations.

BITOGers almost always run the proper manufacturer recommened viscosity oil, and their vehicles engines usually outlive the rest of the vehicle.

With that said, I also bet there are tens of thousands of these 300C HEMI engines running just fine on el cheapo bulk dino 10w30 from local quick-lube joints, and probably from a few dealers too.

FWIW, if I had one, I'd run 5w20 in it, like everyone else who's responded so far. I'd use either the cheapest dino 5w20 that I could find that met the proper Chrysler specs, or whatever synthetic 5w20, that met the specs., that I could get on the cheap.

It seems that with vehicles with either variable valve timing/lift or the new multiple displacement systems, proper weight oil is very critical! When I had my 02 Corolla, I tried 10w-30 in it, and on cold mornings, it felt like the VVTI would not engage until the engine warmed up. All of a sudden, it would go from lethargic to down right peppy. With 5w-30, it felt strong all the time.

A question that I've always had, is, with the MDS system, is the coolant or oil temp being monitored and the MDS is inhibited until the engine is fully warmed up?

- My point is that during the initial 5-10 minutes of operation, even a 5W-20 will spend several minutes in the 10-25 cSt range, which supposedly is too thick for proper hydraulic operation of the MDS valve train components.

Quote:

A question that I've always had, is, with the MDS system, is the coolant or oil temp being monitored and the MDS is inhibited until the engine is fully warmed up?

- My point is that during the initial 5-10 minutes of operation, even a 5W-20 will spend several minutes in the 10-25 cSt range, which supposedly is too thick for proper hydraulic operation of the MDS valve train components.

It is controlled through the oil pressure.

Seeing as the engine warms up the oil will warm up as well and thin out proportionally to the engine temperature. As soo as the oil has thinned out and pressure has dropped to a certain level the MDS will be able to actuate.

This is why you cannot use heavier oils in the MDS HEMI seeing if you use a thicker oil, even when warm the pressure will not drop enough to allow the MDS to activate.

Heop that was easy to understand.
grin.gif

Thanks for the reply, Blazer, as I hadn't run across an explantion for the Chrsler MDS system.

So let's carry this thought forward & the next question is:

Is the oil pressure in a Hemi, with the MDS system, measured with a calibrated oriface and sensor to generate a very accurate oil pressure reading?

How else would the system discern between a Castrol Syntec 5W-20 @ 9.0 CSt and Syntec 5W-30 @ 9.7 cSt, both being 100C viscosities?

- I think you can see where I am going with this...
smile.gif

I know with the Toyota VVTI system, there is an orifice where the oil enters the actuator for the VVTI, and if the oil is too thick, it won't activate it.

I guess Iam the exception to the masses, but I dont have the MDS either. If I did Id run the 5w20. I run Castrol GTX startup 5w30 in the colder months and 10w30 in the hot summer months in Florida. When my Startup runs out Ill switch to Regular GTX. I have a 2006 Hemi but its in a 3/4 ton, I talked with alot of Hemi owners in my area, and most use 10w30 without any problems and no oil useage, the ones I talked to with the newer Hemis using 5w20 were using a about a qt between changes. I have my doubts the Dodge garage is even using 5w20 and not a bulk 5w30. I even called the Dodge hotline and told them I wanted to use a heavier wieght and they said they didnt have a answer but gave me the number of their two largest dealers in Texas, one was Blue bonnet, I think, anyway I called them both and asked them and both replied if you dont have the MDS, it wont hurt a thing, nothing has changed on the hemi since 2002, with the exception of the MDS, and thats what requires the lighter oil, all hemis were switched just to advoid confusion. I just feel better running a oil the has in my mind been the wieght oringinally designed for the engine(oringinal testing when the hemi was first reintroduced) and Not a wieght retro fitted for a fuel saving reason with the MDS in mind.

I don't know what is so special about my hemi then. I have used nothing but 5W-20 and it does not use any oil for the last 9K. But the first 4 on factory fill it used about an 1/2 qt. I chaulk that up to break in.

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Blazer, as I hadn't run across an explantion for the Chrsler MDS system.

So let's carry this thought forward & the next question is:

Is the oil pressure in a Hemi, with the MDS system, measured with a calibrated oriface and sensor to generate a very accurate oil pressure reading?

How else would the system discern between a Castrol Syntec 5W-20 @ 9.0 CSt and Syntec 5W-30 @ 9.7 cSt, both being 100C viscosities?

- I think you can see where I am going with this...
smile.gif

The viscosity will regulate how it will actuate. As said earlier, if you use the wrong grade, the MDS might not work. Maybe 9.7cst will not pose a problem, but that is a 20 weight isn't it?

The engine also has to be in high gear for it to actuate.

Quote:

I guess Iam the exception to the masses, but I dont have the MDS either. If I did Id run the 5w20. I run Castrol GTX startup 5w30 in the colder months and 10w30 in the hot summer months in Florida. When my Startup runs out Ill switch to Regular GTX. I have a 2006 Hemi but its in a 3/4 ton, I talked with alot of Hemi owners in my area, and most use 10w30 without any problems and no oil useage, the ones I talked to with the newer Hemis using 5w20 were using a about a qt between changes. I have my doubts the Dodge garage is even using 5w20 and not a bulk 5w30. I even called the Dodge hotline and told them I wanted to use a heavier wieght and they said they didnt have a answer but gave me the number of their two largest dealers in Texas, one was Blue bonnet, I think, anyway I called them both and asked them and both replied if you dont have the MDS, it wont hurt a thing, nothing has changed on the hemi since 2002, with the exception of the MDS, and thats what requires the lighter oil, all hemis were switched just to advoid confusion. I just feel better running a oil the has in my mind been the wieght oringinally designed for the engine(oringinal testing when the hemi was first reintroduced) and Not a wieght retro fitted for a fuel saving reason with the MDS in mind.

Nah, any 2006 HEMI is made for 5w20 adn i would only use what is recommeded if you want to keep your warranty if the MDS system fails or breaks.

There are reports from Europe indicating Ford's VCT in the 3V V8 (used in the Exploder, Mustang, and F-series) run fine on 5W-30 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back