Dont know how to choose correct HPL oil

Can someone break down the pcmo options please. Is there a reason to get their top tier vs lower? Tried reading descriptions and they all just have a lot of the same language. If i do switch it would be to follow OLM on a 2019 Ram Hemi. Inside should be clean. 55k miles with 5k PUP oil changes and a WIXxp

Last edited:
Can someone break down the pcmo options please. Is there a reason to get their top tier vs lower? Tried reading descriptions and they all just have a lot of the same language. If i do switch it would be to follow OLM on a 2019 Ram Hemi. Inside should be clean. 55k miles with 5k PUP oil changes and a WIXxp

Send a message to High Performance Lubricants. David will help you decide what to get.

I haven’t cut my filter open yet to see how dirty or not my engine was, but both @OVERKILL and @High Performance Lubricants heavily recommended doing a 5,000 mile OCI the first time after switching to their oil. Overkill had a bunch of stuff come out of his and he was a bit more strict with his oil changes than I was.

Per HPL, the PCMO is their “regular” synthetic. The Premium uses an advanced VI improver that’s sheer stable. The Premium Plus uses the advanced VI improver and PAO to improve cold temperature performance even further.

With pretty much any off the shelf oil there will at least some carbon buildup inside the engine, no matter how often you change the oil. I don't know of any other oil that has the solvency of HPL. You can't go wrong with HPL, that's for sure.

By the way, go to Walmart and pick up the new FRAM FE2 oil filter and put it on the HEMI. It's an awesome filter that looks like it's actually manufactured by Champion Labs for FRAM. It's the same filter as Royal Purple 20-820 and AMSOIL EAO-11, but it's painted differently.

As for the best HPL picks for 5W-20:

Keep in mind that they all have the same cleaning ability, regardless of price:

1. HPL PCMO 5W-20 - Group III + AN + Ester - API SP/Dexos additive package
  2. HPL NO-VII PCMO 5W-20 - PAO + AN + Ester - API SP/Dexos additive package (No VII polymers)
  3. HPL NO-VII Euro 5W-20 - PAO + AN + Ester - Euro VW502/Porsche A40 additive package (No VII polymers) - this one is the ultimate motor oil IMHO.
The above would be my top pics. Hopefully @High Performance Lubricants has a few minutes available to chime in. I know they are pretty busy with orders, new contracts, and generally expanding and growing their business like never before.

With pretty much any off the shelf oil there will at least some carbon buildup inside the engine, no matter how often you change the oil. I don't know of any other oil that has the solvency of HPL. You can't go wrong with HPL, that's for sure.

By the way, go to Walmart and pick up the new FRAM FE2 oil filter and put it on the HEMI. It's an awesome filter that looks like it's actually manufactured by Champion Labs for FRAM. It's the same filter as Royal Purple 20-820 and AMSOIL EAO-11, but it's painted differently.

As for the best HPL picks for 5W-20:

Keep in mind that they all have the same cleaning ability, regardless of price:

1. HPL PCMO 5W-20 - Group III + AN + Ester - API SP/Dexos additive package
  2. HPL NO-VII PCMO 5W-20 - PAO + AN + Ester - API SP/Dexos additive package (No VII polymers)
  3. HPL NO-VII Euro 5W-20 - PAO + AN + Ester - Euro VW502/Porsche A40 additive package (No VII polymers) - this one is the ultimate motor oil IMHO.
The above would be my top pics. Hopefully @High Performance Lubricants has a few minutes available to chime in. I know they are pretty busy with orders, new contracts, and generally expanding and growing their business like never before.
Some of the reasons I could not keep myself from jumping on the HPL wagon. Along with the way they respond to their customers.
They have the answers for all the questions folks been throwing at them. That right there is the sign of true professionals on top of
their game. Not asleep at the wheel like you can find in some places. For another thing that impresses: I placed an order over this past weekend and it is on the shelf in my shop already as of mid day today. What a pleasant surprise. I saw UPS coming and assumed it was
to drop off some medical supplies and NOT. It was my HPL 0w20 SuperCar box. Now that is on the ball to ship (correct) and so fast. (y)

@High Performance Lubricants heavily recommended doing a 5,000 mile OCI the first time after switching to their oil.
Correction: 5,000 mile FCI; you change the filter at 5k to make sure it’s not being overwhelmed; the oil should still be good to go. This is where a UOA would be in order- check viscosity & TBN and repeat at 5k intervals, until TBN is 2.0 or less, or viscosity is out of grade on the thick side.

HPL uses chemistry to thicken the oil over time to offset fuel dilution as much as possible.

Correction: 5,000 mile FCI; you change the filter at 5k to make sure it’s not being overwhelmed; the oil should still be good to go. This is where a UOA would be in order- check viscosity & TBN and repeat at 5k intervals, until TBN is 2.0 or less, or viscosity is out of grade on the thick side.

HPL uses chemistry to thicken the oil over time to offset fuel dilution as much as possible.
Well… that was 7qts of perfectly serviceable Premium Plus down the pan drain 😅

But thank you! I’ll just do a simple filter change on the van

Is that a fact, speculation or even just hope? Because, "chemistry" without any further information is nebulous. Just asking as I have skin in the oil game as I own a DI engine equipped car and would love a mechanic-in-a-bottle fix.

Is that a fact, speculation or even just hope? Because, "chemistry" without any further information is nebulous. Just asking as I have skin in the oil game as I own a DI engine equipped car and would love a mechanic-in-a-bottle fix.
It’s not speculation, I was specifically told by HPL. As to what actually achieves this, its above my head and wasn’t gone into detail, but I assume it’s done through controlling the oxidation as that’s what thickens an oil normally. However, in “cheaply” constructed oils, a high Noack will also cause an oil to thicken as the light base oils evaporate under use.

I’ve got a DI as well, likely the most powerful family of V6 TGDIs available, and HPL runs hundreds of millions of miles per year in some government fleets at 15k OCIs.

Nothing in-a-bottle will truly “fix” bad engineering, but as covered in many threads there are several “optimized” features of both Mobil 1 0w40 and the line of HPL oils that appear to give better results. IMO these include: heavier PAO-based base oils with higher-quality (or no) VIIs, alkylated naphthalenes and polyol esters for cleaning, and add packs carefully chosen to maximize protective qualities. Sure, there are probably a small handful of other oils that meet these but those are the most highly regarded and well-proven.

It’s a safe argument and one likely not to be seriously challenged that the Mobil 1 0w40 is likely the best overall oil available on the market that you can walk into any store and buy off the shelf, and that makes it a comparative steal when it’s priced the same as all the other “upper-tier” products.

Some of the reasons I could not keep myself from jumping on the HPL wagon. Along with the way they respond to their customers.
They have the answers for all the questions folks been throwing at them. That right there is the sign of true professionals on top of
their game. Not asleep at the wheel like you can find in some places. For another thing that impresses: I placed an order over this past weekend and it is on the shelf in my shop already as of mid day today. What a pleasant surprise. I saw UPS coming and assumed it was
to drop off some medical supplies and NOT. It was my HPL 0w20 SuperCar box. Now that is on the ball to ship (correct) and so fast. (y)

This, as well, is why I am gravitating to the HPL oils. One car has HPL No VII 5W-30 in it right now; the other one will likely get the No VII 5W-20, as per the cap.

I became spoiled by the Supercar motor oil. I'm now giving the No VII oil a shot. Never occurred to me that some of the Euro oil would be No VII as well, as to @Rod Knock post. I have no Euro cars so to keep things simple.. No VII should be fine. PAO and ANs and Esters.. Bravo! (I have a question on POE. I'll ask Dave at another time about that.)

It costs but when you have your livelihood riding on your vehicles........ just watch for fuel dilution and run the oil to 10k, I find I want to change oil more frequently on cheaper swill. Regular Supertech looking more and more like corn liquor or moonshine. Once you've tasted the best.. (it may not be necessary but you can recognize passion when you see it. And @High Performance Lubricants brings that to the table.)

It's not so much "How the other half lives" as I'm not met with praise in using HPL oil products.. it's more like Simply The Best.

They are The Oil Professionals and I have not a single bad thing to say about my interactions with them. Sure, most would just go to the store and buy oil.. pick your favorite color and get that, in the right grade (most of the time.) We are not most people. I, for sure, am not most people....

A lot of the "facts" you read on forums are just speculations. Everyone has their favorite brand, or brands of lubricants and other products, and they tend to get a tad overzealous. You'll have to forgive them and realize that sometimes it's the enthusiasm in people that talks, not their common sense.

That being said, @High Performance Lubricants is the real deal. It is an overbuilt motor oil aimed at long drain intervals, cleaning dirty engines and keeping them clean, and keeping wear down to an absolute minimum. It is very expensive to blend. @High Performance Lubricants is an industrial company, with their main customer being fleets and the heavy industry, including the food industry. They are not a boutique blender by any means.

@High Performance Lubricants formulations are proprietary and they have never talked specifics about their formulations, other than using Group III, PAO, ANs, and Esters. Neither have they talked specifically about their customer fleets, so that right there is more speculation. They did, however, say that they have perfected their blends by analyzing lubricant data in vehicles, pickup trucks, semi trucks, etc. that stretches over 200 million miles per year.

You will be well served using their motor oil in your GDI engine as it stands up very well to fuel dilution. Their PCMO Premium Plus is blended with Star Polymers. I've seen the 0W-20 version of that stand up and keep its viscosity over 8 cSt even in horribly fuel diluting Honda TGDI engines.

I actually have a nice stash of HPL lubes and have used them over the past year. Currently I'm evaluating some Mobil 1 lubes out of curiosity, however, I will go back to HPL soon.

Finally, the formulations were created with the help of Dr. Leslie R. Rudnick. I encourage you to google his name and look him up on Amazon. He published dozens of books on lubricants and is considered to by the godfather of synthetic oils.

If in doubt, I suggest you start with their Engine Cleaner EC30. Run that for an OCI and see how it cleans up your engine. In fact, I got that running in our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe along with Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. I'm at 4000 miles and I'm draining the oil today. If there is anything of note in the filter I will post some pictures. I'm pretty sure it loosened some deposits especially around the piston rings, as the oil is pretty dirty on the dipstick. It's a GDI engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there anything worthwhile in the filter to take pictures or post about?

As clean as it can be. There was very little metal on the magnetic drain plug as well. I put 7 quarts of HPL PCMO PP 5W-30 back in.

ODgmxAZXkFw3yxEuEVEH5hy26Vd7JsaaeYUgq3TwtJokBqiwJpZq1wb5fU43d1M_YIsYrLyy6jh8UIUqHJF54xiqFkCxoZ-DcXTsuXPeTXcS-a34UyEfw1Txm-nxrOtWFeEDrb3bXTMEDbLX8-ox3QHTU7qBvNfDfXAmjZEVSOIjA6VV33BMquNpGPMGryqrH2fSIpkpb3NSc-3aMLFKMrXU8DPWWKJXTn50xfiC-ZDH_mjnIYxEyse-hnD9gUSqxXeXkxn1GT8_9yQK3UaehDJYf7EmR_UndBEr2B18t9sBWYdVLyiY3DKGjVPIdNeW_79tFxHvozOKU5G18BS8y1wd0pvUvrZI7AGORRXKaXg9-cmVJ0kSpvRk053uEWYZWJcQpJYRJGsauECzgzRk92u5802XzqcZPzLvh7eoPhXdQqt5V3DqylkW-y0DeDKRFFmKQ7gid1kZ1_5uWIZcZRQVvGbA7yl1Yk98Abaz_HJvnlzFFJISizSUF4QlHi3uQAeQbPf_m1fSGT8rj-gJjFog-_HmJwNCme1Lz8tUaw2kkNYDwyGkTRLqrOkg3jEuN4ujmBjioYNQ1u1szfeeRpy-FrIPE8TgQqX5rju8rGdL9gGZVzOb0PWWHDw5ZS6DAQbBERPwlBvQXPnRtCQgs6qELybbb_o6OSFqumrUko2oHmTboH2u8yuTIHmTA_1HSodIrcIe1mNYPpm_WAg1noRa2WR-OmJEefRf8tk6_zuv1j7fLAsn9FPIjACWzEogTontnDh7dekJSiCchfgr-g-qi_DAEWw2wvM6tvysEIkAUuePVhBBgi-aefk3CxowTMiiXjKtKAWA_RMjzjrF9_E-MC64wZB5mz4ORz2BRC1Xidr7BKkgw4zFbC8IlSAj22pq9inH634fA7iGzcTOJxBnBdHWMdI0VG6tQ73skEi5t2INRnE3cAharBZSrBgaDCCFO-fQ9-Xk5y8UvYt1mP7BmbipPuwNLrKFtF1HfEOxxIPOpAnavNGDOpT3JnEA0xQaIYOG8gds09DYHR66d0Zq8SBBNAz0eVy0nYPYhrFa0Djm2Tq1VsfmmhsVAKOBysJKOrUcoYmHKSt6I6h9WRGOdEyCgi0OA38nBTsrCqP9jH-mW5VbXQuEN2tlocrvA3he=w1685-h1264-s-no

CBItEgv-_UVxM98vCF-lKXP6ROfQWhYkMLxeQ4msY9E0VJc28PrTDvWtjhq5TkCoXsDSGAZbKasBCV5YMEfzFvqQJjFTtltay6bnETQ2XCn1x1XNG1LjdAEuOTN3cqg3n1pRuX6915J0FWUhwDN3slDPF67HDizPMwJcEbxR08lkq6JTf17CX6QtOKPC6cfQVr2q1qUht-ihfseoD1Yrz4VCHjWFCoxkmvMN3fkhlh8u4410HwFo7o43AI0bKSZOLxcDXu800gNkDZIXDFZhVWzGr4TAIQMbtxfsQl2c31NN-7QhravamwLGz7wxt-KoUblMYhTZNRQbMqbqX8CdFS17TlPsOPLAFWPIwbCjgIh2Y-2ty12yZ_LbMALETU2XYNlxeEri2mbL1zRQt2dNjA4hBKqhli4vxpg7ilH-GgQX-ltlC5nAycWWFVmkaugCIYlaKkGUgrekxMZZj1GEl1ef283oWiLSfRdsBZW3qedmUvRZBOz2SogePdl4Ecb_VkyW5YD7fJwu3P1tj6_16VC_VHiDTiPTcv1U63AxuELhrAm-fU56klbP0E3j9LukzaH11GSK5t-XJbtsQ4H6WaCLfpfPrr4bFk7vxUpiplL54ieuGr4DRA3TDrcBjw3lpDwGc5FiaFUqD7TaGBfC9Uj5LI5pKtvwr5v4axqY3dApKenYau9tv5woaEr6RXd1bYWa6fFM2XNGZefvZDtkvGwtnSu7GSpxcm2CGidxxvkFUJwm0kCljJ506vN89QUzmQaPZ9IlOltRrO6gC1gWgeyaBRRdX8jX5UezYrxnObL8yUIrqKAs9bzxVmXn8HBX946843u8GDEMjx2I2FwN2NtJ8UW_QPWXrwsaiBAaEdtdnoSWJL4jRT07RSyLa0I_RQUwmJrmu2tCPo70tHulgSdUUMejh1yn90pKq93NUDuS4owRivOANaQOySxKh84upl2MdzsrxWeGtyovif_WODMFEuNufNEq7r410Yb4gjkEFRjPRr1WY5EGi48InivTneKyBEYePWO9bibCU5cIOyNESTqBqAk4taKPW9hRk0v6zQsEKmZHSmHbBe_POsgtApT0qnHrRfp6sd2M1M9dCEW-t8fCqoAupaYfIcBSg7_181sC7N8fAApcOhLE3IxxcvMs=w1685-h1264-s-no

wP_nuukC_4REayuYeQkWWHN3DqN_EEzr-0ooeo6IklJ9VIGx8aBc_gBPSYf6jXTRcLgDk4e7UKQVLRANwHvPPWBJCvWApibIITO6SqB-BdD2UslQYcsyVwan6d1s21dwDZzleH_SH0dy2s8ZS_boc4wTZhatxuMo33Swk54NUOADBqV6Y2QmkKDCsGkltbbM8OSNFYkPfbkROih9ujnHKSgXromQz9XpIgqJDcPk39xyaccAn6cPIKhGqYBpSIj4rDIEQoZ7eHtKLjOMR37YzReWAWZo3CUMwG-qngPxa1Im4CTI9cWJG_0aCBkuwjRRN8BFCKspe1cqiP0ylNuBv7yklvq6fKY7vnwdCbUDEajn7lQI40M7ji0AbZNFCaHB2ofNZI2SPvog3P2LW3IfDKi5E9K2Rei6_9GUcyiZRLEk86x3f4E-9XlsGCfcw0rbiskAHVrns2fIJQt978qBW1a9PIFP4UBDBQlwL6gKzxJjcvWeDIc8ixXpbbrUrEFzACtjn3fEwUeRMRIYpOj_92m5TghDQD7IBf3Z9evb6K15B9DRELw0aDUMqjV0fNfJW9U1b1E-AVW0Eu7prIwd82uTvH7q3WNe4vyAI3BB9ijkM2eVHnuB3zENwHaVp-QyttVnMMPMTAVvECodpG5AwtXX75_S-86pFg9eOCB6ICx6OPG1twU46tnW_hoeeN6UTFhF2FQ7W30YNp2Oe1N3EeVfnCk9Q-vPd2ff7k5J-fuu0sxLb-XyUaXCEipiF3MoSwt3UDCZouy3Dn5TeQZ31Y0vAutzdds5HnnhyKPsWIx73gZcPdzO1M71egUVRPFFeBvu8YYcY3oZN2UD9EJzdQHy2v98F_er-uG06u0b58nSzNsFLwobm1_M-XK-zEzoDPj3VAARuLs44E2uX-toPXLJrh4niVX1cTqRbDbk0C5tSVzU8ScA_tbHMpwL_y9i0yHbQLh6V6ohm7kis73R0R0D64KmSe7D761d1JXAqS5V_aK4kPWmoG6fLu9S46QMZB3H7wXn4YbfPvjmK0RXvg5n2NoX-8jfiYF1Td5aq7_j2Oc7mQD9BPHS1ziVemuqF6fn_xvfsoYJP752KzPMA_stmi3AvzpXPO_Z_Az1RiaW5GPnQMqzq_Njx82zZNCh90ZJ=w1685-h1264-s-no

LnFzpUQXniWa2SH1fnYdeCm1F2A_T_zUSN1XHrQcZk95SFu4yFSNV_bxmMjeIlOrBoA2fCYypgZ3bZvTod3oXbCZeAuoq-ZX_uXyqPmY3xj3Quz_h4bzdTusgSRq90ZaxVZqoOu_6PTQQ08QXLul4IfPfh2EnexiRg9Mko-cjmjc5R283s1AvG3E0gm_PJnmYm_gt0GdaYd3GEqHGtr5Ta1FOzivvIgJR-ddRjVk-QPye_curtph-uCpaqa7XiG8s2pHx-rVTa9SjG4nngvv1OQTWpzzNVF3PTPnAK2AHO33tkIPudn57_cTOhP2hgvQzExbBZhJqybyfmbUJt1q840-vIMNSYCyy5aiJGA-FcayAn2Tc8mbCE_BsEZV3bsoEulx1Kwrm_i5X-s97JIByXpLRMpGeKLYgfsft3JHwtz3xhfWqwI3niYe1dJUsfUDglY8RbMz5nlSr3_n4bJvkoHeaXhbhfCXISyhouaKes2gSpOY8rqvReqMQHc99t76Rv9CJXdf_sspSMVUqlpAWllAaWrou0w5bo5_TEdLkJktR6b8-9AxdfXsr3GMhgne8zP_oHwnANrBhs0Qwtl6EJYKeh6XanLnCuGQYUxuVB8NtDIqfdEztBxOEFP5TpW8CIVRM8uJrLDctuQIOhBIBUJ17Ee4IQznWxU-nrBGfkxgsfuP22hwKOF7s_2n1jPDyn8Np6wPUZn9SjI3RtaJL2EIT8PI9hApAmk8MZD3kxuXcaAbYErTbGmWiddWRyMfck7fDF_YxgEbIOvAq6-gt9GF6pbKhSc4mHxKMIC58yFQSsRtbPErg5W9hV-hS51LHD9ueLUW9OJ4HMtHagIxg1VvkoUuwa7qeRGOTxvGEmlOWrTyaOkqZp0psH6S5mCwo7VbE-G0I3WCl-ArA-UQENl7uzX4ebWiWc-c3vDvbxVyPzD2j6jpUWIoesznsWYUIG67i0GY5sdnu_MIrZOs6nQIkt0UoMiVhdhNPHEG9Q7P2OQp1CDERzTSp7tUBx1sFKWPialyw-j1CNOtJPtgg-7BZGiuRlLRrkvdlqwy6S9V2yP2YnvHhKvMsRvvN9mtOrjYwoyDE2wQTeLQn4UELaD8iPyU3z2iN7f3HILsK_Gli3hwbA13cAfLBmrqlf3tqY55=w1685-h1264-s-no

Back