HEMI 5.7 engine autopsy findings from a 2011 Dodge Challenger

I know numerous police chargers in my area had/have cam & lifter issues and had to have them replaced. These were cars anywhere from nearly brand new to about five years old. I don't know if its a metallurgy thing, oil viscosity thing, lubrication thing or what but one of the theories that seems to make the most sense to me is that at idle/low rpms it's not getting enough oil on the cam and lifters, partly due to the geometry of rockers/lifters. Between that and the MDS complications, it's eating itself up. The high idle times on police Hemis I'm sure plays a role in them tearing up.

Last edited:
I know numerous police chargers in my area had/have cam & lifter issues and had to have them replaced. These were cars anywhere from nearly brand new to about five years old. I don't know if its a metallurgy thing, oil viscosity thing, lubrication thing or what but one of the theories that seems to make the most sense to me is that at idle/low rpms it's not getting enough oil on the cam and lifters, partly due to the geometry of rockers/lifters. Between that and the MDS complications, it's eating itself up. The high idle times on police Hemis I'm sure plays a role in them tearing up.
Then explain the same failures on the GM AFM engines.

Two police buddies of mine had their unmarked Hemi's fail this year. One was a 2020 Charger, the other a 2019. Both attributed to "non-driver engine issue". More than that, we don't know. Not bring car guys, they didn't dig deeper.

Last edited:
This could be a fine example of "meets spec" just isn't good enough.
That, and the fact that HEMIs have been set up from the factory to run very hot by default, especially in RAM 1500 DS pickup trucks. The best thing I ever did for my HEMI was to lower its operating temperature. Now looking forward to transitioning it to High Performance Lubricants (the whole truck). Minimum spec oil (5W-20 API licensed) cannot operate continuously at 230F+ without severe consequences.

Back