Hemi Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by JTK
This dude has got well over $4000 just in this engine repair on this 2011 Ram and the 545RFE trans could go at any time given he's at over 130K miles. Plus his hemi tick could come back due to the parts that he couldn't afford to replace!

Yes, he would have been better to have sold it/traded without repairing it.

I don't think that this is reasonable as expensive as these trucks are. He would have taken a beating on a trade in then had a note. Engine fixed and if it last another 130k then he came out ahead. As far as transmission goes those can go out any time. Don't sale cause something can go wrong. Customer was in a bad spot.

Originally Posted by tiger862

I don't think that this is reasonable as expensive as these trucks are. He would have taken a beating on a trade in then had a note. Engine fixed and if it last another 130k then he came out ahead. As far as transmission goes those can go out any time. Don't sale cause something can go wrong. Customer was in a bad spot.

I agree, if he had repaired it fully it was worth it. But replacing just the bad lifters and leaving the others on a new cam was totally unwise. Waste of labor costs. If any of those other lifters goes, he is in for another $3500. If some failed at 130k, the chances of the remaining lifters going another 130k are slim in my opinion.

If i had been in his shoes, i would have cancelled cable or direct tv or something in order to have had the money to go ahead and replace the other lifters on that new cam. To do it the way he did, he is in a mess when other lifters fail.

Last edited:
I do agree the decision his customer made was a poor one given the failure rate of these lifters. If I were in his shoes I would have found some way to pay for it.

He will likely trade it in if another one fails. Unfortunately this repair would have been money wasted

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Why do the lifters cost so much? If memory serves me that is double to triple the cost of an LSx.

Mopar tax

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

What would a complete rebuilt long-block cost?

From whom? I don't trust any rebuilders & I guarantee they all use cheap "Jobber" parts. Used engines could have the same issue this one had. Either one would have been more money than the patch repair.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

What would a complete rebuilt long-block cost?

From whom? I don't trust any rebuilders & I guarantee they all use cheap "Jobber" parts. Used engines could have the same issue this one had. Either one would have been more money than the patch repair.

What do you think of ATK/Vege, who makes O'Reilly PowerTorque engines? Looks like the whole engine would be about $3500. Seems cheap compared to how much time and money was spent on fixing the old engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by quint
Originally Posted by clinebarger
#3 intake valve was moving @ 0.030" while #5 intake valve was moving over .500"...... …. Also asked a very good question that I honestly didn't have an answer for....."Why is the misfire intermittent"

Take this with a grain of salt, but I remember reading about a similar situation on an aircraft engine (I'm an A&P) and a few people with degrees far more expensive than my own said that the reason for the intermittent misfire is because on the cylinder with the wiped out lobe, there is enough lift of the valve to allow a small amount of intake charge in, but not enough to fire the cylinder. And not enough to exit the cylinder during the exhaust valve opening. Then over the course of three or four intake events enough pressure builds up to increase compression high enough to allow that cylinder to fire. Depending on the throttle opening this may be rhythmic or intermittent as the intake vacuum varies with engine load and throttle movement which in turn varies the amount of air actually getting into that cylinder.

Its not my theory, but it sounded fairly reasonable, at least to my level of expertise.

Funny you mention this--as I read about these MOPAR cam issues was wondering if they had the same supplier as Lycoming! I flew a light twin powered with Lycoming IO-360-200's during the early 2000's and I don't recall the number of cams we went through with those engines, but at least a couple for each engine (it was flown A LOT). Lycoming chalked it up to a bad supplier. Anyway, I recall that at full-power operations (take-off, climb) the bad (cam) engine would run like a swiss watch, but at reduced power it would miss noticeably--that always seemed counter intuitive to me. I'm flying a single-engine these days and consider myself much safer!
smile.gif

Last edited:
It is disturbing that an engine would need such a costly and time consuming repair this early in age.

I know it's been talked about here, but do you think a better oil or more frequent oil changes could mitigate this top end issue on MDS Hemis?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
It is disturbing that an engine would need such a costly and time consuming repair this early in age.

I know it's been talked about here, but do you think a better oil or more frequent oil changes could mitigate this top end issue on MDS Hemis?

No, I don't believe any oil would mitigate this issue, which has impacted both GM and FCA engines produced during roughly the same timeframe. It's unfortunate that FCA is charging so much more for the lifter sets though, that's just disgusting.

I don't believe oil would make a difference either. GM lifter issues predates AFM & to be honest....I've only seen a couple GM AFM lifter rollers "Spall", Where I've seen MANY more standard GM lifters have the Spalling issue.

I have yet to run across a Hemi lifter showing Spalling issues, The camshaft is a different story! In fact this cam had Spalling damage on lobes & the corresponding lifter was "Okay".

This engine did have 1 MDS lifter with a locked down roller, But the #3 Intake lifter is not a MDS lifter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep, that's why I always find it amusing when folks blame the MDS, on a lot of these failures, it isn't the MDS lifter that has locked up
lol.gif
It has also presented itself on engines without MDS, like the Hellkitty mill, though like with the 6.4L SRT engine, the occurrence rate seems to be lower, but that could also just be based on volume and the fact that the issue in general has tapered off in more recent MY's, after I assume they got the parts issue sorted.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Wonder if the SRT cams get a different heat treatment or maybe even a surface treatment?

Would be nice if they ditched the SADI and went for billet
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Wonder if the SRT cams get a different heat treatment or maybe even a surface treatment?

Would be nice if they ditched the SADI and went for billet
wink.gif

+1000, I'm sure billet cams from the start would have significantly reduced the number of cams they've replaced for free (under warranty) and been cheaper in the long run even though the per-part cost is higher. Plus they wouldn't have lost so many disgusted customers that were out of warranty!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by StillLearning
This article takes a pretty in depth look at the "Hemi Tick" on the 5.7s once you read past the fluff...

https://jalopnik.com/chrysler-built-hemi-engines-with-a-major-engineering-de-1842400890

There's literally an entire thread from yesterday on that link:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-write-up-on-5-7-hemi-issues#Post5381474

Sorry, guess I missed that. Just thought of this thread when I read it, so I jumped right to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back