Oil Recommendation for 2010 1500 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Recently discovered BITOG after trying to do some research on what oil I will be switching to. I have been using RP Products in my truck with the Mopar filter since 40,XXX miles, but I am to the point that I am just tired of spending the extra cash on something I am not even sure does any better than any other FS I could get. I always change my oil and filter at 6,000 since it is my best reminder to rotate my tires. My next oil change is due now, so any oil and filter combo you can recommend based on my answers would be greatly appreciated!

1. What kind of vehicle you have?
2010 Dodge 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well?
Not 100% sure about certifications, but the manual calls for 5w20. I am well out of warranty (74,XXX miles), so I am looking for the best recommendation for my truck, be it 0w20, 5w30, etc.

3. Where do you live?
I live in Southeast (Swampeast) Missouri. Springs are relatively easy, Summers are more humid than hot (can reach 100+, though), Falls are as enjoyable as spring, and winters normally stay around the 20's (can dip to 0ish in short stretches).

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
The majority of my driving is more stop and go around town. There are some longer highway trips and occasional towing of a 20x8 enclosed trailer with up to 8,000 lbs in it. Spilt is probably 80/20 (city/highway). Long trips are few and far between (unless it's duck season) since we now have a more fuel efficient family vehicle we can all fit in. Enjoy getting on it here and there, but probably fall under the "easy driver" category.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Daily drive is only 10 miles to work. About 2 miles of it in town through stop signs and lights. If I have to use my truck for a delivery, trips are about 15-20 miles and could be through the heart of town and all the stop lights or a back road with nothing at all really.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
No major mechanical issues have come up since I owned the truck. Oil level never leaves the upper side of "Full" range on the dipstick, so I do not believe it burns oil. Have never seen any white smoke either. Always do maintenance as recommended (sometimes earlier than recommended).

Also, I have a custom tune on my truck and a 180* thermostat (there are other mods, but none that really effect running temps), so running temps stay in a range of 170-185*, depending on outside temp. Not sure if that matters, but thought I'd state that just in case. Again, I appreciate any thoughts from everyone!

Since the HEMI has been shown on here to be easy on oil, you might want to consider Amsoil or M1 and go to a 10000 mile OCI.

5w20 should be fine for your climate and can be easier to find than 0w20, which also would work well for you.

FWIW, from the little that I have read, I am leaning towards PUP in 5w20 if I can find it at our local Wal-Mart. I know the local auto parts stores don't have it in stock, but the Wal-Mart website says "Limited Availability" for the 2 stores near me. So, if that falls through I'd like to have a plan or 2 for back-ups.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Since the HEMI has been shown on here to be easy on oil, you might want to consider Amsoil or M1 and go to a 10000 mile OCI.

5w20 should be fine for your climate and can be easier to find than 0w20, which also would work well for you.

Thank you. We do have a local Amsoil dealer I may need to talk to. I just worry about forgetting to rotate my tires at 6K if I go to a 10K OCI. Since I do my OC at 6K it just works out for me to do it all at once.

0w-20 M1 EP has a high percentage of group 4 (PAO) base stock and costs the same as many group 3 oils. It would be an excellent choice for 10k OCI's

Any name brand or conventional oil will do the job well for 6K in a 5.7L. Go with the 5W20 that the engine spec's. You have a world of options available to you. If price and ease of purchase is your main concern than Wal-Mart is the way to go with their 5qt jug deals. If you are willing to order then you may want to look into Kendall, Amsoil, RP, etc...

Originally Posted By: Blake1107
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Thank you. We do have a local Amsoil dealer I may need to talk to. I just worry about forgetting to rotate my tires at 6K if I go to a 10K OCI. Since I do my OC at 6K it just works out for me to do it all at once.

Sure...I agree with NHHEMI here, if you're only going 6k then almost any oil is up to the task. Sounds like you've already made your choice with PUP and that's not a bad one at all.

Nowadays I'm partial to ordering online and having it delivered to my door, since moving to Amsoil in '04. I have never liked the hit-or-miss availability frustration at wally world, nor their constant jockeying of price.

Last edited:
Any of the Pennzoil 5W-20 choices would be an excellent Choice!

I have used M1 all my life and I just can't seem to venture outside the box on Brands! Since I have never had 1 engine failure due to Oil! For that matter I have never had an engine failure period! 3 of my past autos had gone over 300K miles before I sold them... All 3 are still on the road today!

It's all about knowing the proper OCI and Filtering!!

Stick with Pennzoil Products if you wish-->They are Top Notch Oils!

I even have a very hard time going 1 year OCI... So I change my oil once before winter and once before summer in all our autos... 6 months apart!

Thank you all! I am about to head into town and check out Wally World for any available PUP. Not sure how lucky I will be, though. If not available, I'll probably check out the local Amsoil dealer and M1. I normally do purchase my oil and filter online, but I have kind of lollygagged on this one and figuring out what to switch to and I really need to do my OC by this weekend. I don't think an online order will make it in time for that. Thanks again, all!

I can't edit no more within my post but I feel I need to add one more thing to my post which is only my opinion!

It's all about knowing the proper OCI and Filtering {According to your driving style and driving habits}. Especially stop and go driving and towing and racing!

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I can't edit no more within my post but I feel I need to add one more thing to my post which is only my opinion!

It's all about knowing the proper OCI and Filtering {According to your driving style and driving habits}. Especially stop and go driving and towing and racing!

So, are you suggesting I do a UOA with whichever I switch to see if 6K is too long on the oil or do so only if I go to 10K OCI? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this. This is something I have never really researched much.

No! I am not... You keep to your 6K mile OCI! That will be perfect I am sure... If you were to go 10K and maybe beyond I would suggest a UOA...

It's just about knowing how far you can push your OCI according to your driving style and habits...This all depends on the quality of oil also! Let's not go into that... Stick to your plan and all will be good!

I apologize I didn't mean to confuse you!

No! I am not... You keep to your 6K mile OCI! That will be perfect I am sure... If you were to go 10K and maybe beyond I would suggest a UOA...

Awesome. Thanks, again! I'll report back with what I end up getting. I'm still kind of torn on what to go to. I like the idea of saving money compared to the RP I have been using, but in many things I have learned the "you get what you pay for" saying applies. Probably not so much in this case with the 3 oils that were named, though. Of course, I tend to overthink things when it comes to switching from what I am used to, lol.

Awesome. Thanks, again! I'll report back with what I end up getting. I'm still kind of torn on what to go to. I like the idea of saving money compared to the RP I have been using, but in many things I have learned the "you get what you pay for" saying applies. Probably not so much in this case with the 3 oils that were named, though. Of course, I tend to overthink things when it comes to switching from what I am used to, lol.

Hey man, I'm in the same postion. I was using RP in my previous car(2003 Mach 1) then I sold it and don't feel the need or even the want to spend the money on RP for my '13 Escape. I still wanted a top tier oil just because that is how I am with my vehicles but couldn't justify the cost because I also don't push my oil change intervals. I ended up with Pennzoil Ultra and a Synthetic Purolator filter(ordered on Amazon). I too make short trips for the most part(no 8000lb trailer though lol).

Well I'm at Wally World and looking like a lost puppy, lol. I'm stuck between PUP in 5w20 for $28 for 5qt or 5w20 or 0w20 M1 EP for $26 for 5qt. What would be the benefit going from 5 to 0?

Well I'm at Wally World and looking like a lost puppy, lol. I'm stuck between PUP in 5w20 for $28 for 5qt or 5w20 or 0w20 M1 EP for $26 for 5qt. What would be the benefit going from 5 to 0?

ZeroW weights flow better cold, but in your climate there would be little difference from that and a 5w-20.
Your choice of PUP is hard to beat. You can't go wrong here. Valvoline Synpower also excellent choice.

........ I have been using RP Products in my truck with the Mopar filter since 40,XXX miles, but I am to the point that I am just tired of spending the extra cash on something I am not even sure does any better than any other FS I could get. ............ Again, I appreciate any thoughts from everyone!
Originally Posted By: ccap41

Hey man, I'm in the same postion. I was using RP in my previous car(2003 Mach 1) then I sold it and don't feel the need or even the want to spend the money on RP for my '13 Escape. I still wanted a top tier oil just because that is how I am with my vehicles but couldn't justify the cost because I also don't push my oil change intervals. I ended up with Pennzoil Ultra and a Synthetic Purolator filter(ordered on Amazon). I too make short trips for the most part(no 8000lb trailer though lol).

You're doing the right thing. Most people have come to that conclusion. My personal favorites currently have great engineering behind them, like Castrol Extended Perf (gold bottle/jug) and Castrol Magnatec semi-syn looks good too, and available for cheap at Walmart. HomeDepot has similar prices on some synthetic oils though, not many know that yet.

Better yet: Buy Castrol Syntec, any kind, or Castrol Magnatec and get free movie tickets to see the new Furious7 (or any other Universal Studios movie). It practically zeros out the cost of the great oil if you already go to the movies. See http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/promotions.html

Last edited:
It will flow better at startup.

Others will probably elaborate on that but essentially that is what I've gotten from my readings..

Edit: Oops responded at the end of one page and somebody already replied.

Last edited:
Thays what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Grabbed the M1 EP 0w20 and Mobil 1 filter. Little more than the Mopar filter, but figured I'd use matching oil and filter. Guess I should have thought about short term switch, too, instead of long term on this purchase since cold weather isn't in the forecast for sometime. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. May debate trying the PUP next change....or just go buy 2 of the 5qt 5w20 and use them now. I'm still back and forth on this. I really hate change, lol.

Thays what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Grabbed the M1 EP 0w20 and Mobil 1 filter. Little more than the Mopar filter, but figured I'd use matching oil and filter. Guess I should have thought about short term switch, too, instead of long term on this purchase since cold weather isn't in the forecast for sometime. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. May debate trying the PUP next change....or just go buy 2 of the 5qt 5w20 and use them now. I'm still back and forth on this. I really hate change, lol.

Hahaha I'm not a fan of change either. I prefer a 0w because from everything I've read its something like 90% of engine damage due to oil lubrication is before it is warmed up and flowing properly and if it starts flowing at a higher rate(0w) then there is no reason not to choose that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back