Oil Recommendation for 2010 1500 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to rotate your tires every 6k, I'd just run PYB or QSGB and change that at 6k as well. I personally run mostly PP in my HEMI and change when the OLM goes off, which is usually around 8k. I rotate my tires when I change my oil.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
If you're going to rotate your tires every 6k, I'd just run PYB or QSGB and change that at 6k as well. I personally run mostly PP in my HEMI and change when the OLM goes off, which is usually around 8k. I rotate my tires when I change my oil.

I'm thinking on this one I may try going to 10k and having a UOA done. More I think about it, if I buy oil and a filter that says it's good for that long, why not do it. I'll just have to remind myself somehow about the tires. My OC EVIC message on my '10 goes off right around every 3k. Must be something different in the programming between your '12 and my '10.

Originally Posted By: Blake1107
I'm thinking on this one I may try going to 10k and having a UOA done. More I think about it, if I buy oil and a filter that says it's good for that long, why not do it. I'll just have to remind myself somehow about the tires. My OC EVIC message on my '10 goes off right around every 3k. Must be something different in the programming between your '12 and my '10.

Fram Ultra (walmart) is the best filter to go with any long-ish oil change interval. Dual layer synthetic media, its been written about a lot on these threads, bests specs, durable.
Your mobil1 oil filter is ok, better than most paper-media oil filters, but not as good as the all synthetic filter media Ultra.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Fram Ultra (walmart) is the best filter to go with any long-ish oil change interval. Dual layer synthetic media, its been written about a lot on these threads, bests specs, durable.
Your mobil1 oil filter is ok, better than most paper-media oil filters, but not as good as the all synthetic filter media Ultra.

Would the M1 filter be okay to run for the 10k or should I just go swap out? I haven't done anything yet and I'm still in town so it's not really out of may as if I was back at home.

Would the M1 filter be okay to run for the 10k or should I just go swap out? I haven't done anything yet and I'm still in town so it's not really out of may as if I was back at home.

I run tough guards for twice that interval on my known clean engines so there is no doubt in my mind you'll be fine running that interval with that filter

M1 oil filter should be OK out to 10,000 miles. Except I don't think you're a person who is satisfied with just OK, like so many of us here. I'd exchange it for a Fram Ultra next chance you get in that case. Ultras filter at 80% at 5 microns according to a Fram rep, and they will hold more dirt before clogging than a M1. The Ultra uses a lot of depth filtering in an all synthetic media for greater durability and longevity compared to ToughGaurds or Mobil1 oil filters.

M1 oil filter should be OK out to 10,000 miles. Except I don't think you're a person who is satisfied with just OK, like so many of us here. I'd exchange it for a Fram Ultra next chance you get in that case. Ultras filter at 80% at 5 microns according to a Fram rep, and they will hold more dirt before clogging than a M1. The Ultra uses a lot of depth filtering in an all synthetic media for greater durability and longevity compared to ToughGaurds or Mobil1 oil filters.

Thank you! I went ahead with the M1 filter this time since we have a lot of rain forecasted over the next couple days (started pouring shortly after I got done) and I do everything in my driveway. Next time I will definitely grab the Ultra.

...Grabbed the M1 EP 0w20 and Mobil 1 filter. Little more than the Mopar filter, but figured I'd use matching oil and filter... I really hate change, lol.

Sounds like you're a M1 user now, LOL.

Thays what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Grabbed the M1 EP 0w20 and Mobil 1 filter. Little more than the Mopar filter, but figured I'd use matching oil and filter.

I run M1 0w20AFE year-round in my Ram 1500 4.7. Even when towing in 100+F. Its up to the task, with a very good base stock to help achieve the viscosity spread.

As for "matching" filter, forget that. There's nothing wrong with the M1 filter, but its basically a conventional filter and a little pricey for what it is.

File this away for your next oil change: For a buck or so more you can get a fully synthetic, wire-backed media Royal Purple or Amsoil filter. And here's the best deal: for a buck or so LESS you can get a Fram Ultra synthetic with the same wire-backed media as the RP and Amsoil EAO. And don't worry about the Fram horror stories- those are all in regard to the entry-level ExtraGuard filter. The Ultra is made entirely differently and is a superb filter. One of the best on the market, and definitely the best per dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back