0w20 vs 5w20 for 2014 300C AWD with 5.7L Hemi?!

I have a dozen or so starts to make each year at -20C or lower where I live. There absolutely is a difference between 0w20 and 5w20 at those temperatures, though it isn't HUGE its there. The 5w is still within what its capable, but it cranks over quicker and is quieter in the first few minutes of operation on a 0W. It could be the difference between starting and not starting if your battery is weak or you’ve made too many starts without recharging fully… That being said I still remember routinely starting a 90's Mazda in the same climate with 10w30 GTX in it, and life went on despite it sounding really unhappy.

The fall and spring oil changes give the OP an opportunity to optimize for the climate since SW Ontario has a 60Deg C spread between coldest and hottest day of the year.

Entirely different grades are needed sometime to optimize. This site is all about optimizing oil choices.

At ~5K OCI's on synthetic, the 7 quarts of oil shouldn't be degrading to the point of concern. How many kms do you have on it? What's it's history? The Hemi in a 300C doesn't have to work too hard to move itself about, far from an underpowered vehicle.

Right now at Canadian Tire you can also get Pennzoil 0w30 Euro for 36.99 Less 25$ Rebate on 2 jugs. or the OEPlus 0w30 for 32.99 if you don't care for rebates. The Hemi will love this oil, and after enough of it has flushed through, I doubt you'd even think it will be worth changing after a mere 5K kms.
I've got about 115k kms/72k miles on it right now. I bought the car with 90k kms/56k miles so don't know the whole history, though the dealer I got it from said it was mainly serviced there from new, one owner. It seem quiet enough, the injectors make a lil bit of noise. Only thing I don't like is the fuel smell in the oil though my nose is pretty sensitive to those kind of smells, and it does seem to get dirty fairly fast...

I was thinking xW30 would be to thick and might set off the check engine light...

The new Ram hemi engines are specifically indicating 0w20 for every environment. I suspect a lot of it comes from CAFE ratings, but Mopar does offer warranties up to 100,000+ miles. I do 5w20 in my 2019 classic and i am considering the 0w20
Show me a link for a hemi 100K powertrain warrantee, unless you are referring to a purchased warrantee.

Y'all think the 0w20 will make the engine noisier then the 5w20? I really cant make up my mind, lol...
The Mobil 5w20 EP that was in there is pretty dirty for only having about 3k kms on it :/ I'm not sure if its worth the extra $$ for the EP vs the AFE. I drive the car fairly hard at times...

Last edited:
Y'all think the 0w20 will make the engine noisier then the 5w20? I really cant make up my mind, lol...
The Mobil 5w20 EP that was in there is pretty dirty for only having about 3k kms on it :/ I'm not sure if its worth the extra $$ for the EP vs the AFE. I drive the car fairly hard at times...
HEMI's aren't clean engines, that's why they have dual ignition, they have to. I wouldn't expect there to be a noise difference, both are xW-20's. With such a small price difference, I always went with the EP because it's Mobil's "best"; their highest tier and, historically, was PAO-based.

I picked up a couple jugs of Mobil1 AFE 0w20 to try out with a Mopar 899 I have (gonna save my last Wix XP for now lol...) Wish me luck, gonna change it in the morning, lol... ;)

I picked up a couple jugs of Mobil1 AFE 0w20 to try out with a Mopar 899 I have (gonna save my last Wix XP for now lol...) Wish me luck, gonna change it in the morning, lol... ;)
Been running Mobil 1 Ep 0w20 all summer in my hemi Durango, drag raced and towed with it. No issues and no hemi tick either.

Back