What oil and filter for 01 Celica with 1ZZFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i need some advice, so i have 17 jugs of PU 5w-30 which i got on sale @ 21.30 w/ tax and 17 Mobil 1 EP filter @ 8.61 w/ tax with a total of 29.91 each oil change (intended for a 10k/year OCI), now my 01 Celica Gt's engine was rebuilt (oil consumption issue known to the 1ZZ-FE engine) on the hopes of not burning any oil(some owners have rebuilt with zero oil loss on their respective OCI thats why i attempted it), but on the second oil change (2k OCI on conventional after the rebuild) it burned 0.1 quartz on a 650 miles trip @ 75-80 mph and no loss on the first 350 miles of the oil change on city and highway driving combined (max 70 mph at most 20 miles continuously), one the member on BITOG told me the pistons on this engine runs hot so i should be running Synthetics only, so since the car burned oil only on the longer trip (high temperature for longer period) is this because I currently have the conventional oil and its being degraded? should I go with Toyota recommended 5k OCI with walmart Super-Tech Full Synthetic to save money with a PureOne filter? which should be 17.47 for a jug + 4.19 for the filter(PureOne from AAP coupons) total of 21.66 plus tax? i rebuilt the engine to keep the car for as long as i can, so please any advice would be appreciated. Also from what i read here the Puralator Synthetic (10k OCI recommended) filter is better then Mobil 1 (15k OCI recommended), and the P Synthetic is cheaper around 5.99 each, and also is the Fram Ultra and Napa Platinum better? what about the amsoil EA filters? that is all if i am recommended the PU and a synthetic filter for a longer OCI. but for a 5k OCI i would be using PureOne i think.

because of this 0.1 quartz in 1k miles, i would be looking on average at adding 1 quart on 10k miles (assumption would be to always keep your dipstick at full for the good of the engine)

I apologize in advance for my thought process for being all over the place, I never was a good writer and again thank you for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see. You have 17 jugs of PU, but you are asking if you should buy Super Tech for shorter OCIs?

Dude you put 186k miles on your car and now you are asking how to keep it running?? So are you saying that whatever you were doing to get you to 186k didn't work? I'm sorry, but some of the questions that's asked on this board at times make me wonder. You are worried about adding 1qt of oil ever 10k miles? Just put what you have already purchased in the engine or better yet, do whatever you did to get the car to 186k miles so that you can make it to 372k. How are you saving money when you are talking about purchasing ST syn oil, but you already have 17 jugs of PU in your stash currently? Maybe I just don't understand your question. It's Friday and I'm waiting for college football lol.

FYI...I'm not attacking your post, I really just don't understand why you won't do exactly what got you to 186k or just run the PU oil in your stash. Do one oci to get your own data of what will happen once you run the syn oil vs. going by what you heard or read.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Lets see. You have 17 jugs of PU, but you are asking if you should buy Super Tech for shorter OCIs?
Great! It's not just me who is confused on the OP's thought process. LOL at Bandidto440

Just use the stock you have on your 10k intervals. Way overkill for your engine but definitely there's no need to buy anything new. If you ever get through that stock, you can switch to a conventional 5W-30 and a normal filter for the rest of the engine's life, and the engine won't be the reason you have to give up the car.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I have the receipts it's easily returnable...

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Dude you put 186k miles on your car and now you are asking how to keep it running?? So are you saying that whatever you were doing to get you to 186k didn't work? I'm sorry, but some of the questions that's asked on this board at times make me wonder. You are worried about adding 1qt of oil ever 10k miles? Just put what you have already purchased in the engine or better yet, do whatever you did to get the car to 186k miles so that you can make it to 372k. How are you saving money when you are talking about purchasing ST syn oil, but you already have 17 jugs of PU in your stash currently? Maybe I just don't understand your question. It's Friday and I'm waiting for college football lol.

FYI...I'm not attacking your post, I really just don't understand why you won't do exactly what got you to 186k or just run the PU oil in your stash. Do one oci to get your own data of what will happen once you run the syn oil vs. going by what you heard or read.

I bought the car at 184K...

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Just use the stock you have on your 10k intervals. Way overkill for your engine but definitely there's no need to buy anything new. If you ever get through that stock, you can switch to a conventional 5W-30 and a normal filter for the rest of the engine's life, and the engine won't be the reason you have to give up the car.

Why do you say it's overkill, is conventional oil on PureOne at Toyotas recommend 5K OCI more then sufficient? I guess i asked b/c the 1ZZ-FE & 2ZZ-GE are high RPM engines and would they run hotter because of that and cause premature oil breakdown? and I can switch to conventional oil now by returning the other products.

My driving style generally is aggresive in city and conservative on highway.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
hey guys i need some advice, so i have 17 jugs of PU 5w-30 which i got on sale @ 21.30 w/ tax and 17 Mobil 1 EP filter @ 8.61 w/ tax with a total of 29.91 each oil change (intended for a 10k/year OCI), now my 01 Celica Gt's engine was rebuilt (oil consumption issue known to the 1ZZ-FE engine) on the hopes of not burning any oil(some owners have rebuilt with zero oil loss on their respective OCI thats why i attempted it), but on the second oil change (2k OCI on conventional after the rebuild) it burned 0.1 quartz on a 650 miles trip @ 75-80 mph and no loss on the first 350 miles of the oil change on city and highway driving combined (max 70 mph at most 20 miles continuously), one the member on BITOG told me the pistons on this engine runs hot so i should be running Synthetics only, so since the car burned oil only on the longer trip (high temperature for longer period) is this because I currently have the conventional oil and its being degraded? should I go with Toyota recommended 5k OCI with walmart Super-Tech Full Synthetic to save money with a PureOne filter? which should be 17.47 for a jug + 4.19 for the filter(PureOne from AAP coupons) total of 21.66 plus tax? i rebuilt the engine to keep the car for as long as i can, so please any advice would be appreciated. Also from what i read here the Puralator Synthetic (10k OCI recommended) filter is better then Mobil 1 (15k OCI recommended), and the P Synthetic is cheaper around 5.99 each, and also is the Fram Ultra and Napa Platinum better? what about the amsoil EA filters? that is all if i am recommended the PU and a synthetic filter for a longer OCI. but for a 5k OCI i would be using PureOne i think

I would suggest the thing you really need more of are paragraphs.

Wow, only using 1 quart in 10k? Use your PU and a longer mileage filter (Wix, M1, Amsoil come first to mind) and keep on going down the road.

10k should be fine, but suggest a UOA at 7500 to make sure the oil will be ok at that distance.

Last edited:
.1 at 190k... rebuilt or not that's better than most.

Pennzoil ultra, 8k intervals...change due to boredom.

That motor will [censored] near run on baby oil...much les PU.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Wow, only using 1 quart in 10k? Use your PU and a longer mileage filter (Wix, M1, Amsoil come first to mind) and keep on going down the road.

10k should be fine, but suggest a UOA at 7500 to make sure the oil will be ok at that distance.

OP can't accurately estimate oil consumption for 10k after only 1k miles....he's too impatient...he needs to wait and see what the oil use is after 3k miles....

That said....I've read that Toyotas, like mine, use more oil on the highway than in town...so unless OP will be running on the highway @ 70mph or higher continuously for the next 3k miles, he needs to wait...he needs patience...

Use what you got, run it to 10k, top off if it gets low. PU is a top choice for its low NOACK if it's API SN. Either way it's excellent and you have it. Smoke em while you got them.

My buddies Vibe, (an '03) has the same engine. he bought it @ 120k mi, now has in the neighborhood of 170k. doesn't use oil(that we've noticed)
Just use a quality 5w30, and a good filter.
i've been using a variety of conventional oils(PYB,MS5K,Formla Shell, Meijer Conv, currently nextgen conv.), with a few different filters,(started w/ a K&N, then a series of Quakerstate filters(Purolator classics with a quakerstate paint job), now PureOne's for the last 2.)

with conv. been following a 5k mi/6mo whichever comes first schedule. the first oci i did on this car was PYB & the K&N Filter. when i changed it out, did a UOA. getting schedules to sync up, it ended up nearly 7k mi.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...486#Post2587486

Use the PU. If you want part numbers for filters, use the vibe column in this PDF i keep on my google drive incase i need ot refrence it in a store some where:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_xZhNFCp6tXR241eUhZOURpSWM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Why do you say it's overkill, is conventional oil on PureOne at Toyotas recommend 5K OCI more then sufficient?

Yes, a conventional 5W-30 and a PureOne (or other quality filter, synthetic or not) will be perfectly fine in your engine for a long time. Toyota spec'd that and many of those engines have been run aggressively for a whole lot of miles with no problems caused by the oil. The current API specs and base stocks are even better than when Toyota wrote the spec, so today's conventional is even more capable of the job than 5W-30 of the day. The synthetic is way too high a price for almost no discernible benefit at all unless you extend the drain interval out to 15k or more, and I don't believe at any OCI it will extend the life of your engine.

OP can't accurately estimate oil consumption for 10k after only 1k miles....he's too impatient...he needs to wait and see what the oil use is after 3k miles....

True, my wife drives it and it is mostly city and some highway, we live close to everything she needs. just the way you refer to me in third person sounds odd to me.

That said....I've read that Toyotas, like mine, use more oil on the highway than in town...so unless OP will be running on the highway @ 70mph or higher continuously for the next 3k miles, he needs to wait...he needs patience... [/quote]

ya will report back around 2k, because that's when i will be doing the second oil change after the rebuild, and that is interesting that Toyota's use more oil on the highway, from all my experience off 3 month & 6k miles I totally concur with that.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
I have an 04' and I use synthetic and change once a year or about 7k.....doesn't use a drop

i am JEALOUS!, from year 03-05 the piston design flaw with the 1ZZ-FE was fixed. They increased the oil return holes in the piston from 4 to 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back