What New Car or SUV ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
unDummy,

you took the words out of my mouth. Stay away from any GM product.

Totally disagree, if you can find one, a Pontiac Vibe or a Saturn Vue are great purchases right now. They are giving them away.

Aside from GM closeouts, I'd look real hard at the Ford Fusion. Great car at it's price point. Or if you can wait a bit maybe the new Focus or the Fiesta. Both look to be great new small car offerings from a great American Company.

Can you get a new CRV or Equinox for around $20K? Down here they are $22-23k without incentives.

Maybe a Hyundai or Kia crossover can be had for $20k, but that's about it. With cars you have a bigger selection. You can usually find Camry LE's for $18-19K or so. I'm a pretty big guy and fit into them fine. Same with the Accord LX sedan. The Fusion is a really nice car but kinda tight up front. Same with the Malibu.

Not a lot of incentives out there. Can you wait a bit and see if the deals improve?

The Vue is an Equinox, Torrent (XL7 to an extent), you either get a 4CYL GM motor or 3.5 Honda Motor. Any GM dealership will fix it and honor the factory warranty.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
saturn vue seems nice but what when they go under??

What LS1 said....no worries at all as far as warranty and service imo. They are a great deal right now if you can find one.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
.... Torrent you either get a 4CYL GM motor or 3.5 Honda Motor ....

????? Torrent came with either the 3.4 pushrod V6, or the GXP got the 3.6 high feature V6.

My wife loves the Torrent GXP I got her; she hardly drives her Jag anymore.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
No he's right. The Vue got a 3.5L Honda built V6 engine as an option, or the 2.4L Ecotec.

The Vue, sure, but not the Torrent.

2010 Subaru Legacy is NOTICEABLY larger than 2009 and previous. We've got one, it's our 6th Sube. The biggest difference in size appears to be headroom (both our Subaru sedan's have sunroofs, but the 2010 still gives more headroom) and back seat legroom.

Dave

Last edited:
SUV:
Subaru Outback or Forrester (pre-2010 models look better)
Ford Escape

Car:
Subaru Legacy (pre-2010 models look better)
Ford Fusion
Hyundai Sonata
Mazda 6 (prev. generation look better)

Last edited:
I was at the St Louis autoshow last week and the Hyundai Elantra Touring was pretty impressive. It seemed well built, had a lot of nice touches like the roll up cover over the cargo area, and is certainly in the price range.

It appears to stack up well with the Mazda 3 5 door, and the Toyota Matrix.

well our 03 Elantra was also assembled in Korea i am sure;
fit and finish is excellent, inside and out, and dash, etc.

and at 140k+ miles, and after 7 yrs, it's still solid as a rock, not a single creak/sqeak, and no mechanical prob's, except for a single radiator replacement which happened at 135k miles.

i suggested OP the Sonata 'cause I thought he'd want a larger car.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
well our 03 Elantra was also assembled in Korea i am sure;
fit and finish is excellent, inside and out, and dash, etc.

His problem is not with its quality but with the fact that it is not "Made in USA."

Exactly. To be frank, I would prefer someone buy a Honda, or Toyota that is Made in USA versus a Hyundai or Kia or something that is made in Korea.

I see - I can respect that.
I really think Ford esp. has come a long way and have done a lot to make some good vehicles.

I have been encouraging a lot of my friends to look at the Fusion (just like I did on this thread, too)...I think it's a pretty attractive car overall.

I won't encourage Honda or Toyota, as both of them have become arrogant and big-headed with success.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I won't encourage Honda or Toyota, as both of them have become arrogant and big-headed with success.

I'll agree with you on that last point. I would still recommend Ford, GM, (some) Chrysler vehicles over anything else, but if it comes down to it, something Made in USA (or at least Canada, or mexico at a stretch) over something from Korea, Japan, etc. I do like the Fusion, if I was in the market to buy a new car I would definitely be looking at the Fusion, the new Fiesta and Focus, the Malibu.

... I would still recommend Ford, GM, (some) Chrysler vehicles over anything else, but if it comes down to it, something Made in USA (or at least Canada, ...

Wouff, we are safe... for now.

You know, rudolphna, that every economists in the world (USA included) say that protectionism (or buy american sort of thinking) is what will kill modern economy?
If you want your country to be prosper and grow, you really want to avoid any sort of protectionism. You are not making something good by spraying this line of thought post after post on this forum. At the end, more people will lose their jobs thinking this is the right thing to do.
At least, that is what I learned in my economy class... before I fell asleep ;-)).

What amazed me the most when I learned that was that USA was always against any form of protectionism... as long as it is in their favor, and as soon as they are going to loose... protectionism laws.

But I believe the proverb "Do what I say, don't do what I do" applies also in global economy.

What will happen if all other countries people think the same way and apply taxes on imports goods from the USA, and decide to buy only from their countries brands?

Originally Posted By: Pesca
... I would still recommend Ford, GM, (some) Chrysler vehicles over anything else, but if it comes down to it, something Made in USA (or at least Canada, ...

Wouff, we are safe... for now.

You know, rudolphna, that every economists in the world (USA included) say that protectionism (or buy american sort of thinking) is what will kill modern economy?
If you want your country to be prosper and grow, you really want to avoid any sort of protectionism. You are not making something good by spraying this line of thought post after post on this forum. At the end, more people will lose their jobs thinking this is the right thing to do.
At least, that is what I learned in my economy class... before I fell asleep ;-)).

What amazed me the most when I learned that was that USA was always against any form of protectionism... as long as it is in their favor, and as soon as they are going to loose... protectionism laws.

But I believe the proverb "Do what I say, don't do what I do" applies also in global economy.

What will happen if all other countries people think the same way and apply taxes on imports goods from the USA, and decide to buy only from their countries brands?

So if we go by your line of thought, then we will start having our cars, airplanes, everything built in china, indonesia. Is this what you want? So we have even HIGHER unemployment HERE IN THE US/Canada because nothing is made here, and everything is outsourced. There will be jobs left in some service industries, but nothing else. Yup sounds good to me. 25%+ unemployment, anyone? I think the only countries that should be exempt from US import taxes are Canada, the UK, France, Germany, and a few other european countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back