Suggestions for a new car ?

I throw my vote behind the Kia Forte suggestion (mid-tier, non-turbo, not double clutch, MSRP $22,290 for the GT-Line) based on my guesses of OP's lifestyle from the info given. Mainly for the good mileage, long warranty, reasonably sized tires, have heard no horror stories about that drivetrain. And it looks better than its Elantra cousin.

Runner-up is a top trim Kia Soul w/a MSRP of $24,290.

You know inflation is bad when the lowest MSRP for a Honda Civic = $23,950. wow!

I have zero idea if these are legit offers (or just padded by incentives most folks don't qualify for, and/or negated by crazy >$1,000 fees)..... but some Autonation dealers are offering for new '24 Equinox and '24 Malibu under $25,000.

Maybe you should check your local Chevy dealers, to see what the regional incentives are.

and I've always wanted to test this dealer's "hassle-free" claims and buy from them.... free delivery of the car within 300 miles, they're in Clinton, MO. (80 min outside of Kansas City)

Last edited:
We'll
What I don't get, is that the end product doesn't really get good mileage anyways? A simple low tech 2.0L NA motor would probably perform almost exactly the same, but at a couple hundred rpm higher, and have much less to go wrong.

A smaller turbocharged engine will do better on EPA MPG tests. The automakers don't care about real world MPG or long term reliability.

That engine is so small that it might actually be easy enough to DIY replace.

You are assuming no mark-up on this vehicle.
There haven't been market adjustment prices around here in quite awhile. There are 2 Toyota dealers in town. My guess is you might even get a small discount at this point - I was offered such on a Rav4 a year ago when I was thinking of buying another.

There haven't been market adjustment prices around here in quite awhile. There are 2 Toyota dealers in town. My guess is you might even get a small discount at this point - I was offered such on a Rav4 a year ago when I was thinking of buying another.
Market adjustments still exist on some vehicles. I'm specifically referring to vehicles like a Trax, Civic, Corolla, Rio, type of vehicle. Because if it is the most affordable vehicle that a manufacturer offers, it's in demand and often still sold in transit.

Market adjustments still exist on some vehicles. I'm specifically referring to vehicles like a Trax, Civic, Corolla, Rio, type of vehicle. Because if it is the most affordable vehicle that a manufacturer offers, it's in demand and often still sold in transit.
I am sure they exist in places, just not here. I guess SE toyota has already added enough worthless crap to them such that the dealers making enough on it? :ROFLMAO:

Exactly why I'm asking. There's a lot of knowledge here.
Thanks. And yes, I'd like to have a new one. Small cars are OK, also.

I've been out of the car market for ten years....
Mazda 3 - small car, no cvt, available all-wheel-drive, very reliable, good on gas, looks good, great interior (for the price), relatively low insurance rates.

Sedans are made in Mexico, hatchbacks are made in Japan.

The Camry is big enough to be useful, reasonably comfortable in base model trim and will get acceptable MPG if driven carefully. I get about 32-35MPG in rental Camry's and near 40 on the highway. For $30K, the Camry or Accord is about as close to a "real car size" as one can get.

I will say this, I am exceedingly uncomfortable in the new Accords. The seat is on the floor, and can't be adjusted to any semblance of comfort to me. Couple that with the 1.5 turbo engine filling up with fuel, and it's a non starter for me.

As always, sometimes Costco can help combat the insane dealership markups. You won't get a smokin' great deal through Costco, but you can avoid certain charges. It is worth considering.

Back