Suggestions for a new car ?

I need a new car. Something reliable with decent insurance rates and less than 30K. Preferably under 25K.

No SUVs. Or trucks, Or crossovers. Just a car. Basic transportation - doesn't need to be fancy.

Retired owner. Mostly rural area. 15 miles to town. Occasional interstate and long trips. Probably 15k annual mileage.

Whatcha got ?

1703774046576.png

question is very broad.. you will likely get 20 different answers.

Has to be new? Not much below 25k. Likely to have CVT, DI, other evils that are disliked around here.

Has to be new? Not much below 25k. Likely to have CVT, DI, other evils that are disliked around here.

Exactly why I'm asking. There's a lot of knowledge here.
Thanks. And yes, I'd like to have a new one. Small cars are OK, also.

I've been out of the car market for ten years....

Exactly why I'm asking. There's a lot of knowledge here.
Thanks. And yes, I'd like to have a new one. Small cars are OK, also.

I've been out of the car market for ten years....
I don‘t mind my Corolla, far from perfect, but pretty decent at being basic. The CVT does what I need. Problem is, the new ones don’t have the exact same drivetrain. Good/bad I’m not sure. I’d be fine with getting another, even with CVT & DI, I suspect most of the bugs are worked out, and any remaining ills are on the same level of failures that even good and proven tech has (nothing is capable of never breaking). But I could use something larger, so I’m not sure if I would, again.

In your case, it might work, although as I get older, the harder it is to get in and out of smaller cars. There’s that. Small trunk can be annoying. Long trips can get tiring due to NVH.

But buying used these days is such a gamble, little depreciation and much risk it seems.

Sheesh I'm old. One of my all time fav's was a 4-cyl stick-shift little truck.
The problem is that any kind of truck is out of my budget - and then there's the fuel economy thing.

Whatcha got ?
Hyundai Sonata SE 2.5L GDI/MPI - 8 Speed, very good on gas (28 city - 40 highway). ~ $25K new, very reliable car.

I know you said no SUV, but the Hyundai Santa FE SE 2.5L - 8 Speed is around $28K brand new, very reliable, good on gas, and it's more like a hatchback than an SUV or Crossover. At least to me.

Everything else is very expensive. You might get something from Mazda, Honda, or Toyota, but nothing that comes close to the size of the Hyundais I mentioned. They have become very reliable, as long as you do minimum maintenance, of course.

Don't bother buying a car unless you have to. You are gonna get shafted hard for another couple of months and if rates get cut then inflation will destroy pricing and make a corolla cost 40K.

As far as reliability, anything from toyota. Your running costs will be the absolute lowest out of any brand long term.

Corolla would probably be perfect if you go preowned. Save the money.

Back