What makes an oil an extended drain oil vs. other oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say a racing oil like Motul 300V, which has a lumber-jack strength add pack and has the base oils to lube a freight train, but is not recommended for greater than around 5K miles OCI's; why would a "lesser" oil than a racing oil be good for 10-15K miles? What additives or whatever would give it that capability? Would it be the dtergents? Doesn't the TBN include the amount of detergents?

Don't forget a higher "total base number" - meaning higher concentrations of alkaline compounds to neutralize acids formed. If the TBN drops below a certain number, I think there can be rapid corrosion and damage to seals.

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:
Don't forget a higher "total base number" - meaning higher concentrations of alkaline compounds to neutralize acids formed. If the TBN drops below a certain number, I think there can be rapid corrosion and damage to seals.

See, that's whats confusing. I was using Motul 300V as an example of a bullet proof race oil that is not recommended for extended OCI's. It does have a high TBN, around 11."something". So why then it is it not recommended for say 10-15,000mi. OCi's like M1 0W-40 or GC or Motul E-tech or X-cess?

It's been noted that just because an oil has a high TBN doesn't make it a candidate for long OCI. TBN can be depleted at different rates depending upon the stability of the oil and the condition(s) encountered over the operating period.

There are many other factors, like management of condensation, emulsions....as far as how oil sees it, the conditions of a race day or two are very different from commuter driving over many months.

Stable base oil(s) and strong add pack.

As noted, just because an oil has a high starting TBN, this doesn't mean it will be retained with use. IOW, some basic materials aren't as hearty as others and can be rapidly nuetralized.

quote:

Originally posted by HardCharger:

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:

See, that's whats confusing. I was using Motul 300V as an example of a bullet proof race oil that is not recommended for extended OCI's. It does have a high TBN, around 11."something". So why then it is it not recommended for say 10-15,000mi. OCi's like M1 0W-40 or GC or Motul E-tech or X-cess?

I only meant it was one thing, and it wasn't brought up earlier in the thread.

Red Line says that their series of racing oils is low detergent.

Since Motul claims that their 300V line is above existing standards , I may assume that covers the BMW or VW long life oil standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back