What lube for brake pads will be long lasting and still be there when doing next brake job?

No one is recommending re-doing the slide pin lubrication or metal-to-metal lube to be done every year or two vs having it last many, many years ? Unless the OP changes brakes every 1-2 years ?

Sil Glyde is actually recommend for lubricating rubber parts like door seals and whatnot. I've used it no all manner of things. However I've never used it slide pins. Might give it a try
Wow, did not realize it was rubber safe. I know it's been around a long time and people seem to love it.

That's good to know ... thanks. Is the CRC stuff thick enough to last until the next brake job? I've never seen it in person, but in the photos it looks like it might be quite thin?

It IS thin; but sticky....it's also bright red. I don't know anything about why the coloration or the viscosity, but I know from experience it will quiet noisy brakes and the quiet will last. If you want to know more, I would suggest finding Trav on the user list and sending him a PM.

No one is recommending re-doing the slide pin lubrication or metal-to-metal lube to be done every year or two vs having it last many, many years ? Unless the OP changes brakes every 1-2 years ?

Doing that every two years is overkill for a lot of locations. Seeing your location, I can understand that interval. Down here where rust isn't a factor, you can go much longer without having to touch the brakes.

Must be a east coast/rust belt thing. Dried out pins and rusty contact points are a non-issue out here.

It IS thin; but sticky....it's also bright red. I don't know anything about why the coloration or the viscosity, but I know from experience it will quiet noisy brakes and the quiet will last. If you want to know more, I would suggest finding Trav on the user list and sending him a PM.
That stuff may be fine on the back of the pads, but it should not be used on any sliding surfaces. It is a rubbery/tacky material.

M77 seems to be the best lube for that application, followed by anti-seize.

In all honesty, most metal-to-metal lubes become a gritty mess within a few months and may do more harm than good.

A bit OT, but what do you recommend for the pins themselves?

I keep & use Sil-Glyde just for my sliders and Permatex on the ears of the pads(and/or on the pads backing plate) and in the groove(after cleaning) for the clips/hardware.

Doing that every two years is overkill for a lot of locations. Seeing your location, I can understand that interval. Down here where rust isn't a factor, you can go much longer without having to touch the brakes.
Must be a east coast/rust belt thing. Dried out pins and rusty contact points are a non-issue out here.
The OP is in Minnesota so it's even worse for him/her.

I am using 4 different greases now. M77 under the SS clips. Permatex purple on the pad ears. Sil-glyde on caliper pins and Muscle Grease on the hub so the rotor does not stick the next time I need to remove it.

That's good to know ... thanks. Is the CRC stuff thick enough to last until the next brake job? I've never seen it in person, but in the photos it looks like it might be quite thin?
The disk brake quiet is for metal to metal so like some pads that don’t come with hardware or don’t have the shims on the back of the pad is when you would use that if you are talking about the red stuff. I wouldn’t use just that as the grease. I use the purple Permatex at work and the Sil-Glyde at home they both work fine for the pins and hardware and stuff I haven’t had any issues.

I am using 4 different greases now. M77 under the SS clips. Permatex purple on the pad ears. Sil-glyde on caliper pins and Muscle Grease on the hub so the rotor does not stick the next time I need to remove it.

I use the 3M silicone on enclosed pins and Pastelub (mentioned by Rand above) for everything else mentioned by Donald.

https://goodson.com/products/bpl-2400-pastelub-brake-lubricant Similar to M77. Lifetime tub is cheaper. Thick moly paste that defies water washoff. Made in Switzerland: https://www.igralub.us/

I use the 3M silicone on enclosed pins and Pastelub (mentioned by Rand above) for everything else mentioned by Donald.

https://goodson.com/products/bpl-2400-pastelub-brake-lubricant Similar to M77. Lifetime tub is cheaper. Thick moly paste that defies water washoff. Made in Switzerland: https://www.igralub.us/

That Pastelub looks interesting, and I like the lifetime tub size and cheaper per oz cost vs. M77. Where do you buy Pastelub -- is Goodson the only place?

Last edited:
That Pastelub looks interesting, and I like the lifetime tub size and cheaper per oz cost vs. M77. Where do you buy Pastelub -- is Goodson the only place?

Assuming your not in the business I don't think cost per oz is an issue as not much is used. Unless you used it on the hub to prevent the rotor from rusting itself to the hub. Maybe being in CA the rust on the hub is not an issue. I think boat trailer wheel bearing grease would be good there also.

Donald, I use it anywhere I want to prevent rust. I also use it on agriculture exposed gate hinges, etc.. Recently used it on a huge farm tiller to help prevent rust on the tine mounting area. So, I go through a tub about every 6 years.

There is a with/without picture in the following thread of an example of my rust free hubs. I massage on a paper thin layer.

There used to be several places to buy it. Goodson's seems to be the only one now.

Last edited:
I know Sil-Glyde is popular, and I use it, too, but I'm keenly aware of its limitations.

In situations where I've used it as a caliper pin lube, it's not good for extended intervals, and worse, it gums up as it ages, having the opposite of the desired effect.

I've also used in another application -- to combat sticky plastic sprinkler heads -- and in that application where it is regularly exposed to water and the elements, it washes off rather easily and needs to be re-applied.

Long lasting will mean different things, according to different driving patterns and use cases, but for my purposes, it wouldn't be my first choice.

I know Sil-Glyde is popular, and I use it, too, but I'm keenly aware of its limitations.

In situations where I've used it as a caliper pin lube, it's not good for extended intervals, and worse, it gums up as it ages, having the opposite of the desired effect.
I've ran into that as well and not even what could be considered "extended intervals". Well, on slide pins, it wasn't an issue but on the back of pads and it turned to a tacky glue-like substance. I had to use a large screwdriver, errrr, I mean pry bar to break it away from the caliper.

Back