What kind of oil do you use?

99% of the time I use Motorcraft 5W20 and a FL910S filter but the last change was Valvoline High Mileage 5W20 because my oil peddler was out of Motorcraft.

I use whatever I have on hand for the most part. When I see a case of quarts of oil pop up on Marketplace I usually snatch it up regardless of what it is (brand, weight, or how old it is). I actually have 4 or 5 cases of old API SH Quaker State 10w30 I've been using it in my old Briggs flatheads and sleep fine at night. My Pathfinder has seen 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 with no issues and no noticeable difference in performance between them.

Last edited:
Currently have Havoline, Pennzoil Full Syn, QS Full Syn, Castrol Syn and Fram Full Syn in my garage.
Always full syn but I don't care much about branding; as long as it meets specs I'm fine with it. I generally don't mix them unless I "have to." Never had any problems doing it, just think its an OCD thing or something???
Once asked my Dad when I was a kid, which kind of oil he liked. He replied "the kind that's on sale." He did all of his own maintenance and kept cars forever!

Currently.......
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 (winter)
Mobil-1 FS 0w40 (winter)
Quaker State Euro 5w40 (summer)
Mobil-1 EP 10w30 (summer)

I have used plenty of ILSAC / SP Valvoline EP & Castrol Edge EP 5w30 in the past. I'm now slowly moving into using SP / 0w40 year-round.

Last edited:
Back