What is your standard OCI interval?

2017 Tacoma: FSM = 16,000kms (9920 miles) under normal service. I change every 15,000kms (9300 miles).
1967 Impala: FSM = 6,000 miles under normal service. I change every 6,000 miles and do not adhere to the FSM time limit (4 months) at all.

No way....really?
We've put almost 30,000 miles on the Prius since I got it last October... oil change every Saturday night whether it needs it or not!

No, not really, I pretty much just follow the maintenance minders.

1. Why would anyone care what my OCI is?
2. "Cheap insurance" is a common phrase frequently used to justify irrational over-maintenance.

According to Wal-Mart oil change remind, I'm 97,000 past due.

20240514_183853.jpg

20240514_194316.jpg

When I'm bored and feel like changing oil.

None of the vehicles racks up big mileage quickly, so it's usually based on time, consideration for how the vehicle is used, condition of the oil, etc.

On the motorcycles, it's usually when the shifting starts to deteriorate.

5,000 miles for all of my vehicles except for the two 98 Chevy trucks which I keep at 3,000 miles. It may take a couple of years to reach these on most of my vehicles.

Cayman 2k once a year still under warranty don't drive it muck
911 5-6k once a year
Q5 7.5k

I always use Synthetic oil and my standard OCI is 5,000 for all my vehicles. I figure this is neither too short or too long and is easy to remember.

How about you?
I use 5w30 FS HM motor oil in the T&C and go until the EVIC comes on. It's usually 8-9.5K.
In my Ram it's 15w40 Semi Synthetic and I go 7.5K or more.

Just my $0.02

I go by the oil life monitors in both of my cars and it works out to about every 10k in the Civic and 7k in the Corvette.

The 98 Chevy only goes about 2000 miles a year, so annually. Everything else 5K or six months, maybe a little sooner for the Scion with a history of oil consumption.

5000 miles max on my 2006 Saturn Ion Redline. Runs slightly rich.
Being mostly city miles and that the motor is supercharged, I would not want to go much farther then that. Mobil 1 + a Hengst filter.

I used to do a 4k mile / 6 month oil change interval (whichever comes first), but I've moved to 5k mile / 6 months OCI recently.
Also I've moved from an ATF drain/fill every 15,000 miles to every 30,000 miles instead.

3 out of 4 of my vehicles are being driven 20,000 miles a year.
It's likely they will reach end of life in 5 years from now at that rate, so am transitioning from over maintaining them,
to a lower cost adequate maintenance plan while still aiming for the same end result.

Last edited:
Oil at 5k miles, and Fram Ultra every other OC (10kMiles).

Every 2 years for my OPE and antique vehicles.

Run M1 in most and Amsoil in antiques.

Back