What is your standard OCI interval?

That's a lot of money wasted :rolleyes:
Not if this is your entertainment, instead of things like eating fast foods, buying jewelry, clothes you don't really need, vehicles & furniture to keep-up with the Joneses, vacations outside of your subdivision...... I could go on & on & on & on.

So I spend an extra $125 per year on oil....... that's peanuts in comparison to some of the items I mentioned here and do not participate in. People blow thousands all the time, but that's alright?

Not if this is your entertainment, instead of things like eating fast foods, buying jewelry, clothes you don't really need, vehicles & furniture to keep-up with the Joneses, vacations outside of your subdivision...... I could go on & on & on & on.

So I spend an extra $125 per year on oil....... that's peanuts in comparison to some of the items I mentioned here and do not participate in. People blow thousands all the time, but that's alright?

I don't like wasting money on anything but since this is an oil site and an oil discussion I will keep my comments related to that. I just wonder how anyone who is a long term member of this site can still do 3k oil changes? I did 3k oil changes before I found this site, but since then I have realized how much time and money I was wasting. And I haven't had a single issue with any of my engines, even though my OCIs have been between 6k to 10k on all of my vehicles for 22 years now. There are very few situations that would call for a 3k OCI these days. Even if I was being ultra conservative I'd never do it sooner than 5 or 6k. My UOAs over the years have proven that I haven't been pushing my oil too far at all.

I don't like wasting money on anything but since this is an oil site and an oil discussion I will keep my comments related to that. I just wonder how anyone who is a long term member of this site can still do 3k oil changes? I did 3k oil changes before I found this site, but since then I have realized how much time and money I was wasting. And I haven't had a single issue with any of my engines, even though my OCIs have been between 6k to 10k on all of my vehicles for 22 years now. There are very few situations that would call for a 3k OCI these days. Even if I was being ultra conservative I'd never do it sooner than 5 or 6k. My UOAs over the years have proven that I haven't been pushing my oil too far at all.
It's easy to answer Patman.
I don't let my dipstick oil get black for long. I never buy SP oils that get black early (Supertech 10k) and never buy SP oils that never get mostly black / dark amber, by 3K (Platinum)....... just to name 2.

I know you like Supertech Pat. I do recommend their 20k batch.

It's easy to answer Patman.
I don't let my dipstick oil get black for long. I never buy SP oils that get black early (Supertech 10k) and never buy SP oils that never get mostly black / dark amber, by 3K (Platinum)....... just to name 2.

I know you like Supertech Pat. I do recommend their 20k batch.

I’m currently running the 20k Supertech in my Civic but I have a jug of QSUP for the next change. It’s a great bargain at only $24 and I like a bargain 🤓

I still think that with the oils you are running that you would be perfectly safe extending your intervals out to 5 or 6k. They can handle that with ease 😎 And you should also know by now that oil color doesn’t indicate a loss of performance

I’m currently running the 20k Supertech in my Civic but I have a jug of QSUP for the next change. It’s a great bargain at only $24 and I like a bargain 🤓

I still think that with the oils you are running that you would be perfectly safe extending your intervals out to 5 or 6k. They can handle that with ease 😎 And you should also know by now that oil color doesn’t indicate a loss of performance
I do plan on extending HPL further. I suspect the first OCI HPL will turn my oil dipstick color black early. I am expecting that. But at only 38k on the odometer and having done religious 3k OCIs, it won't be many OCIs afterwards that my dipstick oil color will lighten beyond 1k.

That's why I bought HPL, along with it's extensive wear protection. I would like to do one oil change per year eventually (6k yearly mileage). It's taken me longer to work out the bugs with my Amsoil purchase last Fall. I suspect I should have purchased the 10w30 Amsoil SS instead of the 0w30 Euro. I will have that tweaked / ironed out when I do a re-order. I'm awaiting Amsoil Free Shipping Month sometime this Summer. Then I'll do a frankenblend of 0w30 Euro and 10w30 SS.

Last edited:
I usually run about 5000 miles per oil change in both my 2017 Accord & 1995 Civic. I've run the Civic OCI as high as 8000-ish miles once, but that was an exception.

The Accord, of course, has always seen synthetic oil and my Civic, mostly so since I've owned it.

I'm moving to 6 month change intervals. My commute is 6 miles each way to work, and I don't drive much otherwise. My Civic has direct injection, and prone to fuel dilution. Plus, I have several gallons of oil waiting in reserve, and I enjoy changing oil.

I do plan on extending HPL further. I suspect the first OCI HPL will turn my oil dipstick color black early. I am expecting that. But at only 38k on the odometer and having done religious 3k OCIs, it won't be many OCIs afterwards that my dipstick oil color will lighten beyond 1k.

That's why I bought HPL, along with it's extensive wear protection. I would like to do one oil change per year eventually (6k yearly mileage). It's taken me longer to work out the bugs with my Amsoil purchase last Fall. I suspect I should have purchased the 10w30 Amsoil SS instead of the 0w30 Euro. I will have that tweaked / ironed out when I do a re-order. I'm awaiting Amsoil Free Shipping Month sometime this Summer. Then I'll do a frankenblend of 0w30 Euro and 10w30 SS.
What is wrong with the 0w-30 compared to the 10w-30?

In the JD skid steer, seeing as its EGR, DPF equipped and with a small 7.5 litre sump, I just go the 500 hours. Its really not worth used oil analysis to go further.

My 3500 goes the full 24,000km, even being deleted. If I can score another freebee analysis kit from my local ag store and it tests good, I'll go further.

My gas jobbers like my van and Trailblazer go 10 to 15,000km or so, which is usually when the oil change light gongs me.

Nothing of mine is time based.

Rav4 Hybrid --- 5K with oil filter switch every 10K
Tundra -- 4 or 5K with oil filter switch every 10K
Taurus -- every 3K with a synthetic blend and every 3rd oil change for the filter. Car is lucky to accumulate 3K miles per year. But is short tripped often.

My CX-5 gets 5k intervals (it averages out) and a tire rotation each time, though the current OCI is getting changed by mid-Oct. Whether or not I'm at ~5k, I need to use up my last pre-paid dealer OCI; after that, we'll see what I decide to do.

I like to change oil when the weather is mild, so I settled on mid April and mid October for two of our cars. It happens to work out well mileage-wise, so I stick with it. Typically 3500-6000 miles. For our CRV which is a massive fuel diluter, I started doing a shorter winter OCI to isolate the worst of the fuel dilution to the shortest period of time. So the CRV gets an oil change in mid November and late March/early April. We start reaching ~32F mid November, and consistently stay above 40F by April 1st. So the winter OCI is 4-5 months (~2000 miles) and the spring OCI is 7-8 months (3500-4000 mi).

Back