What is this Mustang worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/1756118485.html

My brother is looking into getting this Mustang. I think $6500 is a bit high, but the ad says $6500 "OBO", so they apparently are willing to come down. Not knowing the actual value of these cars, can you guys give me some advice on what I should try and talk the seller down to? I haven't went to see it yet, so let's assume everything is in good shape (engine doesn't smoke/transmission shifts smooth). Assuming that, what is this car really worth?

With the following description, I bet it has had the snot driven out of it. Personally, I would probably pass on this one.

I have a 94 mustang gt, 5.0ho 5spd, a lil under 120k miles, runs great, lowered with eibach springs, fr500 rims with good tires, bbk cold air intake, flows sound good low rumble, big brake kit and other extras, will consider trades, trades plus cash or 6500obo,

The Mustang looks nice with some money put into it. Find out how many owners the car has had and maintenance history for the car.

After considering the above, make him an offer.

On the other hand, if I were in the market, I'd pass up on this car based on the upgrades. I agree with Johnny that most likely the car was driven hard.

$3500. One rarely get *any* more money for hop-ups over stock.

Seller would do well to sell the brake kit, rims separately then the base car.

Watch this car and how long it sits. Banks won't loan on a 16 year old car so someone's going to have to come up with cash, and noone keeps that kind of cash.

The upgrades are the only reason the car would have the value asked. If the car hasn't been driven beyond its limits it may be in good shape yet. Big brakes are a valuable upgrade if the application is a good match. A well set-up car can be driven hard with out any major consequences and in many cases is good for the upper end. You need to get in the guys head a little and see he instills some common sense. Add up the expense of the upgrades find out if the clutch has life left, rubber, all the usual. It could be a deal.

Thanks for the comments. That's pretty much what I told my brother. I said there were too many appearance mods and it reminded me of a ricer buying a Mustang. I told him I bet it was driven hard and I, personally, wouldn't get it. I needed some back up, lol.

Now he's found a 2000 Mustang GT automatic with 138,xxx miles on it for $6000. 3 prior owners. It was repoed from the last person after 3 years and 11 months of ownership. I'm actually thinking this will be a good car. Going to check it out whenever I can. It's at some repo place.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
With the following description, I bet it has had the snot driven out of it. Personally, I would probably pass on this one.

Agree 100%. I'd avoid it.

later,
b

A 2000 Mustang with 138,000 miles for $6000, isnt any better of a deal. Really, we are in a economic downturn. I think there are alot of good deals to be had. I wouldnt go as far to say Mustangs are disposable cars, but I would think they are one of the cars that dont hold the re-sale value as good, since they are alot cheaper than their competitors from the get-go and they are subject alot more often than not to "abusive owners". Watch Ebay or check with your local Ford dealers, they take alot of trades and will sell the cream puffs, while pushing the junk off to auctions. Alot of Ford dealers will offer a warranty with thier used cars also. $6000 is not chump change and I would think you could get a nice reliable Mustang in the current economy for that. You also know you can, or used to be able to get a car loan off Ebay, that beats all the bank rates. Check on the box on how to fianance this auto, I did that one time and it was great to use when bargining on a cash deal.You dont have to buy the car on Ebay and its pretty much a pre-financed blank check for a car. Pretty cool and gives you alot of leverage when buying a used auto.

Last edited:
What set me against it was "trades accepted, trade with cash..." Like everyone else said, probably ran into the ground and thus has issues that will see the engine/tranny detonating soon.

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Agree 100%. I'd avoid it.

later,
b

I would avoid it also.

Private party value on the 94 Mustang is under $2000 and that's assuming good mechanical condition. The mods are worth $400 used. The car was probably driven hard so deduct 15%. So I arrive at $1800. Since car prices are depressed right now, I would deduct another 15%. So $1550 is what I'd pay tops. Starting offer $1000.

I can't believe people think that car is worth over $3000

I thought it was worth $4k. But 120k IS high for a Mustang, no?

But I really dont know and maybe his $6500 got to me.

It has seat covers, so its probably worn ragged leather underneath, or more rice factor.

Good luck if you think a 3 owner, repoed Mustang is going to be in good shape. The 99-04 is my favorite Mustang model, with the 88 model being a very close 2nd.

You might have to slap some sense into your brother because he is heading straight into a money pit. My friend just had to get this 02 Camaro Z28 that had 100k milage and 3 previous owners last year, he has had to already replace his trans last summer and he just got his engine rebuilt this year. Sometimes the speed and power is not worth it, just do the sensible thing and buy a more newer car with a clean record.

NOT!

There's a Mustang on every street corner for sale. Don't get hung up on this one!

The guy is dreaming he's going to get his mod money back. It just doesn't add anything to the car's value in my world. It actually detracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back