what is the speed of frictional electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a way to accurately and physically meaasure fricional electricity speed. or at least prove its faster? according to some dr it seem the actual frictional electricity speed is 157% and speed of light is 100% if this is accurate .basicly everything we think is actually might not be accurate at all

Frictional electricity!is it assumed to be the same speed as common electricity?from what I read dr came up with very specific value 288000 mile per second .so I wonder why they say light is its speed ?is it a theoretical mathematic formula that can't be real life tested?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Please seek help.
Electromagnetic waves travel fastest in a vacuum. Difficult to understand how static electricity could travel faster than light in an atmosphere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Frictional from what I read dr came up with very specific value 288000 mile per second .so I wonder why they say light is its speed ?is it a theoretical mathematic formula that can't be real life tested?

References? Its obvious you don't make any effort to understand mainstream science. I'm done.
smile.gif

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Has this "some dr" any experimental evidence? Have others repeated his experiment? People have been physically measuring the actual speed of light many times over hundreds of years, and getting consistent results.

I'm not sure what the OP's obsession is with static electricity to be honest. But in this particular example, the ability for static electricity to interact at greater than light speed is impossible. Sure the wave velocity in a conductor is very fast, but "static" electricity is actual electron flow. And since electrons have mass - however small - they cannot travel at the speed of light, much less any faster.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
since electrons have mass - however small - they cannot travel at the speed of light, much less any faster.

You're forgetting about dilithium crystals in conjunction with a warp-drive engine.

professor Wheatstone tested this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wheatstone

So what about it? He approximated the speed in 1834 and got it a little high. There has been a long history of refinement on determining the speed of light, and as would be expected some experiments got it a little higher than the actual value and some got it lower:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

We measured it once in a freshman physics class, I don't remember the values we got but I'm going to guess some of us got it higher than the real value while some got a value that was lower. It's called experimental error. It depends on the quality of your experimental equipment, your care in making measurements, and most importantly on the design of your experiment. In our class if we had had a longer baseline than the school's hallway that would have helped. Plus a better control of the rotating mirror.

Frictional electricity!is it assumed to be the same speed as common electricity?from what I read dr came up with very specific value 288000 mile per second

Electrons have mass. Matter can't travel as fast as light.

Electricity in a wire or semiconductor is very slow. You can walk faster. Electrons jump from orbit to orbit. A hole is the absence of an electron and "moves" in the opposite direction. That's why semiconductors are referred to as bipolar.

I hate teaching.

Yes actual electron flow in a conductor is very slow, but it is the wave velocity that causes signals and electricity to "flow" in a wire. That happens at near the velocity of light.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Electricity in a wire or semiconductor is very slow. You can walk faster. Electrons jump from orbit to orbit. A hole is the absence of an electron and "moves" in the opposite direction. That's why semiconductors are referred to as bipolar.

I hate teaching.

I don't know how the OP got his idea that electricity is faster then the speed of light from the wiki page because that wiki page clearly states:
Quote:
"His results gave a calculated velocity of 288,000 miles per second, i.e. faster than what we now know to be the speed of light (299,792.458 kilometres per second (186,000 mi/s)), but were nonetheless an interesting approximation."

A Leiden jar would be called a capacitor in modern terms. Wheatstone's experiment used the same kind of electricity ( there is only one kind) that a modern capacitor would hold.

Even Wheatstone agreed with the idea that electricity would move through a wire somewhat slower than light does in free space, a theory that is well proven now. He didn't make much of his experiment, knowing it was imprecise.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yes actual electron flow in a conductor is very slow, but it is the wave velocity that causes signals and electricity to "flow" in a wire. That happens at near the velocity of light.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I hate teaching.

I'm pretty sure turtle already knows about this. It's taught in basic electricity classes, I think that even my physics class mentioned this. It's people like OP that have a hard time grasping the concept when reading articles that are beyond their level of education.

Last edited:
is there a way to accurately and physically meaasure fricional electricity speed. or at least prove its faster? according to some dr it seem the actual frictional electricity speed is 157% and speed of light is 100% if this is accurate .basicly everything we think is actually might not be accurate at all
??????????

The velocity of frictional electricity???

The above comment suggests you're far off into the imaginary plane.....

My understanding is that although the actual electrons move relatively slowly, the effective change is almost instantaneous. The analogy my prof used decades ago was that if you lined up hundreds of ping pong balls in a trough, with no space between them, and pushed the one at the near end, the one at the far end would be pushed off the end almost immediately, even though none of them had moved particularly quickly.

Now, could you ever line up enough balls in a trough long enough that the the long distance divided by the short interval would be greater than 3 x 10^8 m/s? I think not. I think the speed of light is a real limit.

I'm not a physics guy - someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the one force/entity considered instantaneous is gravity.

As well, Robert A Heinlein's classis SF story Time For The Stars treated telepathy as instantaneous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back