What is the absolute best mainstream full synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no specific oil or OCI that will keep this kind of water pump from failing. Regarding a water pump failure dumping coolant into the oil pan... if I insisted on keeping the vehicle... I would research other failures of this kind and come up with an average vehicle age/mileage at failure, then proactively change the water pump 10k before that as well as any other normal wear items "while I'm in there." This really is a lame design and it's hard to see engineers collectively agreeing this is a good approach... because water pumps never fail, right? Hindsight must be blinding these engineers by now.

I hate that ford design.. super expensive to fix and no indication its failed right away..
I dont think you can change coolant or oil to avoid a failure.. check you oil and coolant level every other day might be a better plan..
If the water pumps tend to fail at 80 k miles maybe just pay for the repair at 65 or 70 k miles.. it might be worthwhile. Hard to say.

Drive the car to 50K then sell it. Or if you love it, fix it when it fails. Just start saving now.
My buddy has a two post lift in his barn, do you have a buddy or a friend of a buddy who has this? Then you can do the repair some weekend if it fails. Dropping the complete front engine cradle may be the way to go; Take out the powertrain the way it went in

There is no "best" oil for this, something with an aggressive DP might cause more issues than it solves in this case,

Must have been designed by the Porsche engineers that put selected a roller bearing supported intermediate shaft instead of a pressure lubed plain bearing. Unspeakable.

Good luck enjoy the car. Don't worry or fret, instead just plan ahead.
The m96 porsche flat 6 in the 996 gen of the porsche 911 and boxster and cayman is a nightmare. Terrible design in a car that you can barely ever even see the engine..
The grace was... that the 99 porsche was about 16 to 18k 2 years ago. A good value. Now with the covid tax the same cars are 28 to 32 k 2 years older with more miles. Killing me as I want to buy one..
Rebuilding that engine is typically about 14 to 22 k dollars... makes it a hell of a gamble.

Why do folks use phrases like, "absolute best," when making queries?

Why o' why?

Only on the Internet!
Absolute best is hard...bourbon.. porsche model.. brand of impact driver.. girlfriend .. sexy / crazy or loving / caring... scandium 1911 or s&w shield in 45 acp ??

My neighbor had a Ford Expedition with 3.5 . Water pump went out at 88,000 miles. Extended warranty saved him. His story , not mine. He traded it in on a brand new one. He loves the vehicle. 3.5 eco in the new one. Wardawg

I think it’s natural to wonder what is the best off the shelf oil you can buy. It’s fun, it’s part of the whole process of owning a car and thinking you can do something to make it last longer or run better. As if you have some sort of hand in the whole endeavor of owning the vehicle, and to some extent you do.

I usually just buy what’s on sale, or rebate, or free. When that’s not an option I find myself doing what I recently just did. Bought an extended drain oil, so I can maybe wait it out for that next round of rebates. I bought Mobil1 EP 0w20. I must say this (and I’m sure it’s all in my head), but the engine feels smoother. And I can’t believe I just said that. But it does. It feels smoother, more something...responsive, effortless. I don’t know. Like I said, it’s probably in my head...or it’s the fuel, or weather changes, humidity, lack of humidity. Whatever. But I’m enjoying “it” right now, and isn’t that what life is all about? Oil, who knew?

I'm on a dozen different forums and FB pages and every time I see a post start with " What is the best ..." , I just cringe . Here we go again . Page after page of opinions with little supporting facts .

Group 3 vs 4/5 . Not sure what those are. I am trying to learn.

I have been buying mobil 1 full syn and high mileage. For many decades. Not sure if its amazing. Or an excellent value. And one mans car fleet offers little data to decide if it's amazing or average oil.

My goal is to just protect my cars engines with correct maint. Hope to learn more about the tech of oil. My guess is that unless you have a very demanding new car w fancy euro spec that any oil very close to the speced oil weight changed at 5000 or 6000 miles once or twice a year is a good plan.

There are many good oils that will perform the job but it sounds to me more like the issue is not trusting the engine design. Can't fix that with oil.

My friend has a flex with the 3.5 and 220k miles original oil pump. Used Mobil 1 extended performance and changes at 7 k or about
The water pump went on my sister's 3.5 Taurus at about 240k miles. It was a 2010. Mechanically totalled the car, but that was before COVID. My friend is a mechanic and he bought it. The timing chains were stretched out bad, tensioners maxed out, so he replaced those too. Would have been like a $4000 job at retail prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back