What is going on with oil prices?

The newest PP via that analysis is a seriously weak looking oil. Maybe Pennzoil should drop that and just keep PUP?
Notice PP is Dexos 2 gen. 3 approved oil. PUP can not meet, but as you say a different market. Another forum the poster there wants a low SAPS oil cause she wants to fight IVD in her Miata.

Notice PP is Dexos 2 gen. 3 approved oil. PUP can not meet, but as you say a different market. Another forum the poster there wants a low SAPS oil cause she wants to fight IVD in her Miata.
Castrol C3 was a cheap alternative but like everything else (including the 5W-30LL) has gone up quite a bit.

and sadly, that is as cheap as it gets,(walmart) I wonder what Autozone is charging (YIKES)

Last edited:
Thing is if inflation is officially at about 9% then we can expect average price increases 9%, some products went up over 40% and some less than average 9%.
But, unofficially inflation is about 17%. It's about statistics, if you change the way you calculate inflation, you can actually get deflation 🤣
And US gov changed the way they calculate.

Where is the QSFS $21 bucks? I'll leave work and go stock up now.......
It must have jumped $1 or so. Today, it's $22.34 @ Walmart.

QSFS 5W-30 at Walmart

It's darn good oil. It's high KV100, stout add pack, and multiple great UOA's on this site make it a winner.

For comparison, Kirkland's FS 5W-30 is $19 per 5-qt jug at Costco, if picked up in-store. It's also an excellent 5W-30 with very similar characteristics and known usage results.

Last edited:
You better hurry. Quaker State no longer makes QSUD. It's now QSFS and I.m trying to buy up all the QSUD I can get locally.
Right on!

BTW, spent much of my time in AFCC and TAC during my years of service. NL7W here. :)

I last changed oil in the spring, and I’m shopping for PUP 5W-20, and the prices at Walmart and Amazon are around $36 for a 5qt jug. I think I spent around $22 for the same jug In the spring. The cheapest I can find it is Napa which has it for $32. Anyone know what’s up? I would have expected the prices to move with gasoline, but doesn’t appear to be the case.
Whe

I last changed oil in the spring, and I’m shopping for PUP 5W-20, and the prices at Walmart and Amazon are around $36 for a 5qt jug. I think I spent around $22 for the same jug In the spring. The cheapest I can find it is Napa which has it for $32. Anyone know what’s up? I would have expected the prices to move with gasoline, but doesn’t appear to be the case.
Where are you living?

I just bought oil for the first time in a few years (been using up my stash).

Mobil1 Extended for $26.47 w/free next-day shipping seemed quite reasonable to me. I got a few of them.

Keep an eye on it. PUP’s price fluctuates on Amazon a lot. I check it every so often and anytime the 5qrt jug gets to $19-$22 I buy a jug or two then within a day it seems it’s either unavailable or back up to mid $30s.

Back