What is considered a "low quality oil"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman

i would say my Dollar store's $1 no name brand oil that the only thing on the lable is "10w30" oil,i woudn't use it in my oiling can,but hey thats me. :)

X2

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

i would say my Dollar store's $1 no name brand oil that the only thing on the lable is "10w30" oil,i woudn't use it in my oiling can,but hey thats me. :)

X2

X3

I'd be weary about the age of an oil older than "SL" rating. SL or SM I would see no issue with, the Citgo down the street from me still sells SL oil and I'm sure it's fine. There are also some cheapo brands like mentioned from dollar stores and such, that I would steer clear of. The cheapest oil I know of- Formula Shell, is still perfectly fine engine oil.

Originally Posted By: peterdes
I'd rather have an SL oil than an SM.

Hello 2003. That notion has been put to bed a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: hal
The cheapest oil I know of- Formula Shell, is still perfectly fine engine oil.

I have 12 quarts of that in my garage for my old Saturn.. Been using that oil off and on since I got the car.. No issue

Originally Posted By: hal
I'd be weary about the age of an oil older than "SL" rating. SL or SM I would see no issue with, the Citgo down the street from me still sells SL oil and I'm sure it's fine. There are also some cheapo brands like mentioned from dollar stores and such, that I would steer clear of. The cheapest oil I know of- Formula Shell, is still perfectly fine engine oil.

"Valucraft" sold at Autozone is still SL rated. I use it in my old, second mower...

"Oil filter changes should be done as recommended by the filter’s manufacturer and oil should be topped off as needed."

Hmmm, oil filter manufacturers rarely specify change intervals. The change interval is normally specified by the vehicle mfg.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'd rather have an SL oil than an SM.

Hello 2003. That notion has been put to bed a long time ago.

My vehicle is a 2003 and likes SL best. Look at that.

Newer isn't Always better.

When SM chokes and dies.

FACT:
Auto manufacturer's and dealers got smart. They realized oils were making their engines last much much longer than intended due to low wear.

They then influenced API with some $$$ to make a SM rated oil that greatly reduces the anti-wear agents. Hence, engines will not last as long which means more vehicles will be bought more quickly.

:)

When SM chokes and dies.

FACT:
Auto manufacturer's and dealers got smart. They realized oils were making their engines last much much longer than intended due to low wear.

They then influenced API with some $$$ to make a SM rated oil that greatly reduces the anti-wear agents. Hence, engines will not last as long which means more vehicles will be bought more quickly.

Interesting thinking, you have the facts to back up the statement you made? Or possibly a link to some facts? Just curious, I'd hate to see the industry moving backwards, especially with the prices they're charging for some of these oils.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When SM chokes and dies.

FACT:

Interesting thinking, you have the facts to back up the statement you made? Or possibly a link to some facts? Just curious, I'd hate to see the industry moving backwards, especially with the prices they're charging for some of these oils.
+1. I'd appreciate seeing that information too.

Because ZDDP was lowered does not mean anti-wear additives were lowered. There are other addy's you can use that work just as well or better.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
There are other addy's you can use that work just as well or better.

Like?????

i would rather run a SL too thats why all but two o0f mine have 10w30HM and when 5w30HM hits all will have that one..

Is this stuff still for real? I haven't seen dollar store oil for $1 since dollar tree had tropartic in 2005-ish.

Family dollar has that "American" stuff in various qualities... ND30, HD30, 10w30 SL-ish... for various prices... but pretty sure none are $1 anymore.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Is this stuff still for real? I haven't seen dollar store oil for $1 since dollar tree had tropartic in 2005-ish.

Family dollar has that "American" stuff in various qualities... ND30, HD30, 10w30 SL-ish... for various prices... but pretty sure none are $1 anymore.

No, the dollar thing was a figure of speech,so guy's knew what i was getting at,last i looked it was like $2 or under yes at mine, Very very cheap looking stuff.
crazy2.gif

Now we're going back even farther in time. Additive levels alone are not an indication of wear control.

I'll give you some direction here. Synth oils and dino have similar "elemental" additive levels, but that does not mean the actual compounds are the same. Newer additives have come into being, with reduced treat rates.

So, exactly how much antimony does your SL oil have???

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Additive levels alone are not an indication of wear control.

There NOT?????
crazy2.gif

so one should run any el-cheapo SM rating oil in there high perf flat tappet engines or normally high wearing engine designs??

i'd rather not follow your direction,what are these newer additives have come into being all about? and are they better then yesteryears adds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back