What is behind the number

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
Each vehicle we purchase has recommended OCI’s and other PM numbers.
Some of them a dichotomy of sorts when a 4 cylinder TDI lists 9K for an OCI.
What do you know or assume went into the development of your OEM number?

There has to be a balance between low maintenance, warranty, and expected engine longevity. I would guess that manufacturers expect about 150k out of each engine, or about 6years of service, and about the end of the 72month loan. After that, replacement with a new vehicle. This keeps customer cost down, while allowing the manufacturer to survive by selling yet another vehicle. Since, aside from cost cutting, most internal components in an engine will usually last longer if maintained accordingly. These are the people that run their vehicles for 200-250k and such. But those people pay more in the long run to maintain it(on average).
So, 10k changes, and pretty good bet expected life will occur within manufacturer design, and lower maintenance costs will apply. This is what I feel sets the schedules for maintenance.

Our 2.3L Mustang calls for 5w30 and 9k OCI …
going to assume Ford expects some diluted oil.
We bought it with 52k … no PM info on it …
Might just target 7k OCI ? …
It‘s on M1 AP so not worried with oxidation etc …

I too underastand the assumption the manufacturers "just want to get through the warranty period", but if their brand fell apart at say, 100,000 miles, their reputation would still suffer greatly.

I believe it is a balancing act between production economy, meeting governmental mandates, brand quality reputation, and avoiding warranty issues.

Last edited:
Miles is an over-emphasized metric that people myopically follow. I do lots of highway miles in my vehicles and those rigs will run 10K OCIs with engines that last longer than the rest of the vehicle. It is grandma's car that short-trips it's entire life that needs more frequent oil changes.

And I've yet to have an engine fail me due to lubrication/wear issues. It is always something else that kills them so I feel running 7500-10,000 mile OCI's is more than sufficient, especially with the evidence of UOA's to support that interval.

I have no idea how they come up with their numbers but I’ve been doing 5000 mile change intervals for decades now with no problem. Easy to track too.

What do you know or assume went into the development of your OEM number?

😜 :LOL: ... but seriously, I'm sure there is some logic behind the maintenance numbers.

Darts_in_a_dartboard.jpg

Think about it, Toyota call’s for 10k oil changes in the Camry, most people see the “recommended” oil change interval as just that, a suggestion. They go far far longer and that car still lasts 300k without issue.

Back