What I would consider for my next vehicle.

Have you considered riding an eBike? The only reason for the existence of EVs is to reduce fossil fuel consumption.
Yeah, that’s the problem people giving up their lifestyle and spending excess money on an electric world reducing thief standard of living because they are indoctrinated into thinking fossil fuel is a problem.

Still early days here with EV technology and adaptation of the market, but for me I ~ and I expect I won't do anything for another 5 years ~ my choice would be a gasoline electric hybrid. We go up North to a remote area frequently, so pure EV is not yet practical. The ability to tow 5000 pounds is desired, the range anxiety is real, the distrust of new technology is also a factor.

As said, I don't plan any new purchase for at least 5 years. Just my position now and I expect their are many like me out there.
Just test drove (and almost bought) a Volvo XC90 Recharge. Plug in hybrid.

30+ mile range on electric. Plug it in every night for your daily commute. Then, take it on a road trip, and the turbo 4 kicks in and charges up the battery.

5,000# tow capacity. 450 HP. Drives beautifully.

What you want is already here.

Just test drove (and almost bought) a Volvo XC90 Recharge. Plug in hybrid.

30+ mile range on electric. Plug it in every night for your daily commute. Then, take it on a road trip, and the turbo 4 kicks in and charges up the battery.

5,000# tow capacity. 450 HP. Drives beautifully.

What you want is already here.

Beautiful car but $81,000?
You can tow 5000lbs in luxury for $40,000 less with gas.
I’m assuming being the OP mentions a new car in another 5 years that he doesn’t plan on spending that much.
I don’t know if they all come from the factory with tow packages and I didn’t look any further into it but there’s only one available near me.
IMG_2942.jpeg

Beautiful car but $81,000?
You can tow 5000lbs in luxury for $40,000 less with gas.
I’m assuming being the OP mentions a new car in another 5 years that he doesn’t plan on spending that much.
I don’t know if they all come from the factory with tow packages and I didn’t look any further into it but there’s only one available near me.
View attachment 155086
The one we looked at was $88,000. Had the HUD, air suspension, massaging seats. Every possible option.

We dickered a bit and got a modestly lower price. Had the salesman run the #s. Getting close to a deal.

It would’ve been my wife’s car - and I was willing to take care of it.

We got home and she looked at her 2002 XC70, which runs great at 295,000, and she said, “Let’s do this next year, and pick it up in Sweden.” Which sounds like a plan.

So, not a cheap car, but if you buy and keep a nice new car, that suits your needs, for ten years, the annual cost isn’t that bad.

Let’s say you lose, in depreciation, about $60,000 on the $80,000 car over ten years.

That’s $500/month.

Which is way less than a lot of people are paying.

The one we looked at was $88,000. Had the HUD, air suspension, massaging seats. Every possible option.

We dickered a bit and got a modestly lower price. Had the salesman run the #s. Getting close to a deal.

It would’ve been my wife’s car - and I was willing to take care of it.

We got home and she looked at her 2002 XC70, which runs great at 295,000, and she said, “Let’s do this next year, and pick it up in Sweden.” Which sounds like a plan.

So, not a cheap car, but if you buy and keep a nice new car, that suits your needs, for ten years, the annual cost isn’t that bad.

Let’s say you lose, in depreciation, about $60,000 on the $80,000 car over ten years.

That’s $500/month.

Which is way less than a lot of people are paying.
Yeah.. A lot of times its guess work when people post, they dont mention price range and leaves a lot o guess work for others, and even more, the others comment without knowing the cost. Im not ashamed by any means to feel that paying over 50k for anything is pricey to me, though granted, if it was a must have I could.

For me, I wouldnt spend anywhere near that kind of money on a car. But we all have our things that brings us enjoyment.
I happen to tow a boat and an SUV with a 5000 lb tow rating was a must. I did that with a 2017 Traverse LT 3 years old, diamond condition, and 25k miles when we bought it a couple years back during covid for 21k

Last edited:
Yeah.. A lot of times its guess work when people post, they dont mention price range and leaves a lot o guess work for others, and even more, the others comment without knowing the cost.

For me, I wouldnt spend anywhere near that kind of money on a car. But we all have our things that brings us enjoyment.
I happen to tow a boat and a car with a 5000 lb tow rating was a must. I did that with a 2017 Traverse LT 3 years old, diamond condition, and 25k miles when we bought it a couple years back during covid for 21k
Nailed it here. We aren't just buying based on facts of "this is cheaper than that", we also buy on perceptions and emotions around these vehicles. I think that's why some of these conversations about EVs and ICE and $XX price vs $XXX price come about. I know at least for me if I have a really good car I'm fairly emotionally attached to it. I'm really into the experience. I will say some of the EV experience people might take it too far from time to time though. 😂

Nailed it here. We aren't just buying based on facts of "this is cheaper than that", we also buy on perceptions and emotions around these vehicles. I think that's why some of these conversations about EVs and ICE and $XX price vs $XXX price come about. I know at least for me if I have a really good car I'm fairly emotionally attached to it. I'm really into the experience. I will say some of the EV experience people might take it too far from time to time though. 😂
I think a lot of people don’t really understand the total ownership cost of a vehicle. It’s way more than purchase price, or, heaven forbid, the payment.

Total cost includes depreciation (way more important than just the simple sticker or purchase price), financing charges, insurance, fuel, taxes, repairs, and maintenance.

Had this discussion recently with a buddy, who has made a habit of buying a new luxury car every 10 years, and paying cash. No finance charge. Near zero repairs in the first ten years. Modest insurance (excellent driving record and vehicle safety record). Pretty big tax hit (VA charges property taxes on cars, at the rate of $4/$100 of value). Modest maintenance.

His wife’s Mercedes, on order, is a new $70,000 SUV, will cost about $500/month in depreciation. Which isn’t bad when you consider what most people are shelling out in monthly payments. She will be driving a new luxury car with all the latest conveniences and safety features.

He has done this several times. Total cost of ownership isn’t bad when you keep it long enough that depreciation doesn’t hurt, and you avoid expensive financing. Most cars don’t need extensive repairs in their first ten years/100,000 miles, and defects, if any, are covered under warranty early on.

It‘s actually a good way to go.

The plug in hybrid, while more expensive than either a hybrid, or BEV, does save on fuel cost over the gasoline engine, and eliminates the range/charging challenges of BEV. Again, total cost becomes reasonable when every factor is added up.

Last edited:
If I were towing regularly, of any distance, I would not be considering an EV.
If I towed, say once a year, perhaps renting an appropriate vehicle makes sense.
But if regular such use was the requirement, the extra cost of EV drivetrain and need to stop and charge frequently seems to not make sense.
Saw a white Model 3 towing a smallish (bigger than the car) utility trailer today. He was of course, charging near Rt 84 in NY. I suspect such a low trailer would not be problematic for the Model 3. No idea how much weight he was pulling. Maybe 2500?

Saw a white Model 3 towing a smallish (bigger than the car) utility trailer today. He was of course, charging near Rt 84 in NY. I suspect such a low trailer would not be problematic for the Model 3. No idea how much weight he was pulling. Maybe 2500?
I do think aerodynamic drag is more of a concern than weight, but obviously both play a role.

Back