what household chems do you use on your boat??

lets talk about avoiding buying chemicals from west marine.

I am looking for sea deck cleaners
fabric waterproofing
vinyl cleaners

i am sick of spending a ton at west marine on what always looks like rebranded trash from walmart or pepboys

what household automotive product do you use instead of boat specific products.

boat for attention

Simple Green for a cleaner degreaser as it's biodegradable and doesn't have harsh fumes. 3M scotch guard or a similar equivalent sold at my local Safeway store. If any of the windows are plexiglass then you'll want a cleaner for things like ski goggles.

LA's Totally Awesome cleaner. Works great.
These dollar tree cleaners work great - so cheap you can flog it on heavy bcs that’s what cleans - not some wimpy mist bcs you paid too much -
I will use a good 3M product to prevent seat mildew - misting lightly …

Agree with all of the above and these are a few of my regulars:

For general cleaning and oil/grease: Regular blue dawn and water in a spray bottle.
Non skid and rust or stubborn fiberglass stains - Bar Keeper's Friend (Oxalic acid, same as the toilet cleaner)
Vinyl - this may sound strange - Permatex Hand Cleaner. Seriously. In the blue tub. It's kind of hard to find lately.
Spray nine - Not the marine one, get the cheaper, identical stuff in the gallon bottle from HD or wherever. Good because you can use it on any surface including aluminum, which can get etched by Simple Green or Purple Power.
For aluminum - any acidic cleaner, like Barkeeper's Friend, and can try Mother's Mag Polish.

Make your own Mildew Spray - A little Borax, TSP and Baking Soda in water https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/homemade-mildew-preventers-that-really-work

A lot of pros use Pledge on their clear vinyl/ isinglass (I can't attest to this, at least in the long term).

Good luck! hope this helps.

Back