What happens if you dont renew registration every year?

Depends on where you park it and where you drive it. Some towns are uptight and don't allow over a certain number of unregistered vehicles on your own property. Maine really wants their excise tax so if you go over by less than a year you get the original expiration date anyway. Go more than a year over though and you're home free with a new date.

Depends on where you park it and where you drive it. Some towns are uptight and don't allow over a certain number of unregistered vehicles on your own property. Maine really wants their excise tax so if you go over by less than a year you get the original expiration date anyway. Go more than a year over though and you're home free with a new date.
Yeah they used to give you the current month, now if it's due in February and don't renew the registration until September they'll still give you a registration that's due in February. I'm in texas btw, so I've always wondered well how many years do I have to pay for then?

Here the fees just go up and up. A $200 registration çan double in a few months. If you sell it with fees due the buyer gets hosed. He can't register it until all the late fees are paid

College friend did this with her $200 Gyro moped… she never even had a driver license however was from Poland. Nothing happened to her .

Here the fees just go up and up. A $200 registration çan double in a few months. If you sell it with fees due the buyer gets hosed. He can't register it until all the late fees are paid
That's only if you fail to transfer the title and registration in your name initially. They charge $25/month up to a maximum of $200 plus the title transfer fee and taxes
We only got them a few years ago. Before that, we had to renew them I believe every three years.
So it'd a permanent license plate that doesn't require a new sticker every year? Do you still get the safety inspection? Mine is $7 then you go pay anywhere from $77 to $132 depending in what it is. My two trailers are like $132 each plus the $7 safety inspection..

Here the fees just go up and up. A $200 registration çan double in a few months. If you sell it with fees due the buyer gets hosed. He can't register it until all the late fees are paid.
Do you know if under this situation the CA car is sold out of state? Does CA have any way to enforce payment?

I know a gal who only drives a few miles everyday to and from work on back roads and her registration has been expired since 2020.
I have a friend that always has some excuse for not renewing registration. He works all the time so I guess that's why it's low on the priority list. I just think it's funny how he drives an hour to work everyday and it took a year to get pulled over. Still didn't get a ticket. Pretty sure it was two years out by then. I recall another couple times over the years they pointed it out, but didn't do anything because they were directing traffic in both those instances lol.

I have a friend that always has some excuse for not renewing registration. He works all the time so I guess that's why it's low on the priority list. I just think it's funny how he drives an hour to work everyday and it took a year to get pulled over. Still didn't get a ticket. Pretty sure it was two years out by then. I recall another couple times over the years they pointed it out, but didn't do anything because they were directing traffic in both those instances lol.
I’ve known a lot of people who do this because the vehicle won’t pass state inspection. Something like the cat or a sensor throws a CEL and it won’t pass. The potential ticket is cheaper than the repair.

I’ve known a lot of people who do this because the vehicle won’t pass state inspection. Something like the cat or a sensor throws a CEL and it won’t pass. The potential ticket is cheaper than the repair.
That's a good point. That's why I drive diesels. The car won't be condemned because it needs $2000 worth of work to pass an emissions test

That's only if you fail to transfer the title and registration in your name initially. They charge $25/month up to a maximum of $200 plus the title transfer fee and taxes

So it'd a permanent license plate that doesn't require a new sticker every year? Do you still get the safety inspection? Mine is $7 then you go pay anywhere from $77 to $132 depending in what it is. My two trailers are like $132 each plus the $7 safety inspection..
No new stickers required or safety inspections, but we never had safety inspections on trailers here anyway.

No new stickers required or safety inspections, but we never had safety inspections on trailers here anyway.
I'll call the dmv and see what they say. I pay about $500/year for registration on all my vehicles and trailers

Safety inspection only on trailers that gross more than 7,500 pounds in Texas.

From TxDMV....
Registration is required for all non-farm trailers operating on public highways.

Depends on the law enforcement in the area, Some officers are sticklers for traffic law enforcement.

Reactions: wtd
Safety inspection only on trailers that gross more than 7,500 pounds in Texas.

From TxDMV....
Registration is required for all non-farm trailers operating on public highways.

Depends on the law enforcement in the area, Some officers are sticklers for traffic law enforcement.
I pay $132.00 for registration on my trailer with tandem 5200lb axles plus the $7 safety inspection

Back