What happened to the low gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
There are more high mpg cars available now than at any other previous time. You can find them cheap too, if you're a good shopper.

Anyone complaining about gas prices, should blame their own choices. Did you really think gas was cheap and would stay cheap when you bought that guzzler?

If you 'need' a truck for work, then you should be able to write it off as business expense. If not, you're doing it wrong.

I don't think my Corolla is considered a gas guzzler...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't think my Corolla is considered a gas guzzler...

Nope - you did just fine and shouldn't complain! Think of all those people driving SUVs and pickups for no reason! Think of $7-10/gal in Europe.

$3/gal and living in the USA isn't bad. It could be $.50/gal, but then you'd be in Venezuela...

Crude products should not be part of the futures market...

We have had this discussion before where I tried to explain how the futures markets work to control prices. No sense revisiting this.

You are convinced bc you can't drive using gasoline that was 25 cents in the 60 that somehow today's prices represent a National Security Issue. You don't really want to be misled by facts.

I am wondering (to myself) when you see a doc, have you discussed your own cognitive abilities. It does occur as we age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

Crude products should not be part of the futures market...

We have had this discussion before where I tried to explain how the futures markets work to control prices. No sense revisiting this.

You are convinced bc you can't drive using gasoline that was 25 cents in the 60 that somehow today's prices represent a National Security Issue. You don't really want to be misled by facts.

I am wondering (to myself) when you see a doc, have you discussed your own cognitive abilities. It does occur as we age.

I never said today's price represents a national security issue. You just make this stuff up. What I said, and what I've always said is that gas/diesel prices would be a national security threat if prices get so high that they become unaffordable to the general public...and this is because our entire economy relies heavily on transportation, which requires these fuels...

I never said today's price represents a national security issue. You just make this stuff up. What I said, and what I've always said is that gas/diesel prices would be a national security threat if prices get so high that they become unaffordable to the general public...and this is because our entire economy relies heavily on transportation, which requires these fuels...

People could carpool, drive slower, mass transit, shorter family vacations, etc. It would not be a "threat". Don't buy goods if they got too expensive, etc.

Still no "threat", I can see.

I never said today's price represents a national security issue.

Irrelevant comparisons. The success or failure of Walmart, or their competitors has no bearing on our national security. Gas/diesel prices, and its availability does...it's not just another commodity...

Soj its price is not now a matter of national security ort it is? "If" the Russians Nuke us it will be a national security issue. So IO hather it is not now or never was?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar

People could carpool, drive slower, mass transit, shorter family vacations, etc. It would not be a "threat". Don't buy goods if they got too expensive, etc.

Still no "threat", I can see.

And what about the prices of everything else? When gas/diesel prices go up, so does the price of everything. Do we just stop buying goods altogether?

Last edited:
So IO hather it is not now or never was?

English translation?

Originally Posted By: hatt
grampi, what is YOUR solution?

Get fuels out of the futures market...that would take speculators out of the process altogether, which would stabilize prices...prices would then be completely set by supply and demand...also, instill tighter controls on producers restricting them from either flooding the market with supply, or purposely tightening supplies to raise prices, which would also stabilize prices...

Last edited:

Get fuels out of the futures market...that would take speculators out of the process altogether, which would stabilize prices...prices would then be completely set by supply and demand...also, instill tighter controls on producers restricting them from either flooding the market with supply, or purposely tightening supplies to raise prices, which would also stabilize prices...
How are futures not set by supply and demand? If they were not the second part of your solution wouldn't be needed.

I never said today's price represents a national security issue.

Irrelevant comparisons. The success or failure of Walmart, or their competitors has no bearing on our national security. Gas/diesel prices, and its availability does...it's not just another commodity...

Soj its price is not now a matter of national security ort it is? "If" the Russians Nuke us it will be a national security issue. So IO hather it is not now or never was?

LOL,
ad as I said before, if there IS a national security issue, the last thing that the Govt will be securing is somebody's "right" to drive 5 hours to their apartment to work their job...unless, as I said grampi is doing national security work and would then have the fuel covered.

National security would involve rationing the (currently) 35 day supply, and personal choices like that wouldn't be even possible in rationing, let alone whiningly expensive.

Who paid for all of the gas stations? It's called a business. If CNG was made available by the companies that sell it like gas was made available, why wouldn't they pay for the means to do so? It's their business, not mine. I don't know why you think that's something consumers should flit the bill for...and don't you think if CNG was as readily available as gas is that many other people would use it too?

As a consumer, you are paying for the cost and maintenance of the infrastructure that brings you gas, and the wages of the person who takes your money.

If you want a station on every corner, you will pay more than if you had two higher volume outlets in the one town...that's why you pay less at Walmart...

And while they are at it, they should regulate it such that the average joe gets a job closer to home and doesn't waste resources through a personal choice living 5 hours drive from his employment.

I mean if we are regulating stuff, should start with the low hanging fruit, hey?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

And while they are at it, they should regulate it such that the average joe gets a job closer to home and doesn't waste resources through a personal choice living 5 hours drive from his employment.

I mean if we are regulating stuff, should start with the low hanging fruit, hey?
For sure there should be a 50% income tax on big wigs with a weekend vacation residence. Only fair.

LOL the oil interests are pushing the fact that Nigeria is not pumping as much oil recently because of this so called terrorist group call "the avengers" hahahaa. The CNBS report claimed that they don't want to steal the oil and sell it or control the fields they just go around blowing things up stopping production.......

Yet Iran is now flooding the oil market and the same mass media outlets will not say ONE word about it....

The fix IS in folks and always is when big money interests control the game...

How are futures not set by supply and demand? If they were not the second part of your solution wouldn't be needed.

Grampi..you still don't understand (as hatt pointed out) that speculators reflect supply and demand via the spot markets (day to day) and futures contracts weeks or months out set prices long range... And.. you want more "controls" ....by whom?

You make zero sense man. Please read about how futures control the prices..or rather stabilise them. You are lacking knowledge about the system yet criticise it.
frown.gif

So we have eliminated National Security as a reason for price concern. (It hasn't occurred) And you (I guess) like the free market except when it dictated the higher price of gas which has risen less than the cost of inflation since 1960..what do you want?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Yep..that's how Marx and Engels convinced their minions to forsake free enterprise and move to a distorted ideology where Stalin controlled how and when you took a [censored]. And then killed you bc you didn't take a [censored] to his liking.

You sound more and like a Communist every day. Except the Communist Party is more crooked than any CEO in this country could hope to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
LOL the oil interests are pushing the fact that Nigeria is not pumping as much oil recently because of this so called terrorist group call "the avengers" hahahaa. The CNBS report claimed that they don't want to steal the oil and sell it or control the fields they just go around blowing things up stopping production.......

Yet Iran is now flooding the oil market and the same mass media outlets will not say ONE word about it....

lol.gif

01.gif

[/quote]For sure there should be a 50% income tax on big wigs with a weekend vacation residence. Only fair.

Top federal tax bracket was 39%. State income tax is what, 5% or so? And sales tax around that? Not too far from 50%. [I come up with 45% effective tax rate, with 39% Fed + 5% state + 5% sales. YMMV depending upon rates and writeoffs.]

The futures market is based on feelings, not actual supply and demand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back