What happened to the low gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grampi, if you take a look at national gas price heat map from gasbuddy.com you should see that Californian were and are paying higher gas price than any state, but we know why gas price is high so we just either drive less or drive a little slower to optimize gas mileage. We also know that oil companies didn't make obscene profit(compares with other industries) for the hard works they do.

If you have a look at a gallon of crude oil and next to it a gallon of gas, you should be amaze that they can refine crude oil to gas and pay all kind of taxes and other fees to get you gas so cheap, that you can fill your gas tank 24/7.

If you think $2.xx/gal is gouging then what do you think that European are paying more than $5-6/gal ?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Once again, you're making stuff up. I never said anything about price controls...and I would love it if fuels were part of the free market, but they're not...they operate in a cartel...

What does the part in bold mean exactly, if not imposing controls on the physical action to control price ?

Get fuels out of the futures market...that would take speculators out of the process altogether, which would stabilize prices...prices would then be completely set by supply and demand...also, instill tighter controls on producers restricting them from either flooding the market with supply, or purposely tightening supplies to raise prices, which would also stabilize prices...

My living arrangement has nothing to do with this subject, and if you can't make your point without bringing it up, why don't you just move on...

The point is, however, that you can control that, just like you can choose to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle, or drive less, or not at all. You cannot change the price at the pumps, unless you build an independent gas station. Then, you can sell fuel at whatever price floats your boat.

and hands up everyone in the thread who first introduced grampi's actual living arrangement into the discussion ?

Originally Posted By: Al

Once again, you're making stuff up. I never said anything about price controls...and I would love it if fuels were part of the free market, but they're not...they operate in a cartel...

You admitted a while back that prices are low bc the market was flooded...which is admitting that there is a free market.

Yes or no....do you want price controls?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

For a while you were someone trying to make a point with your arguments, but now you've stopped listening and actually reading responses and instead just keep spewing nonsense.
Troll.

lol

How is being able to tank prices by flooding the market with supply a free market? That fits the very definition of a cartel market...and I've never said I wanted price controls, so no, I don't...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Grampi, if you take a look at national gas price heat map from gasbuddy.com you should see that Californian were and are paying higher gas price than any state, but we know why gas price is high so we just either drive less or drive a little slower to optimize gas mileage. We also know that oil companies didn't make obscene profit(compares with other industries) for the hard works they do.

If you have a look at a gallon of crude oil and next to it a gallon of gas, you should be amaze that they can refine crude oil to gas and pay all kind of taxes and other fees to get you gas so cheap, that you can fill your gas tank 24/7.

If you think $2.xx/gal is gouging then what do you think that European are paying more than $5-6/gal ?

You can't compare what we pay for gas to what Europeans pay...their price is so high because it's mostly taxes to pay for social services such as healthcare...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

What does the part in bold mean exactly, if not imposing controls on the physical action to control price ?

Get fuels out of the futures market...that would take speculators out of the process altogether, which would stabilize prices...prices would then be completely set by supply and demand...also, instill tighter controls on producers restricting them from either flooding the market with supply, or purposely tightening supplies to raise prices, which would also stabilize prices...

Well, if as you guys say the price is determined by supply and demand, wouldn't it make sense that prices would be more stable if the amount of supply wasn't all over the map?

Originally Posted By: Garak
My living arrangement has nothing to do with this subject, and if you can't make your point without bringing it up, why don't you just move on...

The point is, however, that you can control that, just like you can choose to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle, or drive less, or not at all. You cannot change the price at the pumps, unless you build an independent gas station. Then, you can sell fuel at whatever price floats your boat.

And my point is, whether I'm living this arrangement, or I worked from home, it wouldn't change a thing about the way the oil industry operates, so why keep bringing it up?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
and hands up everyone in the thread who first introduced grampi's actual living arrangement into the discussion ?

I did, because someone asked what I paid for healthcare vs what I pay for gas, and BTW, I haven't seen that person post anything since then...I still fail to see what it has to do with the subject of this discussion....

tighter controls on producers restricting them from either flooding the market with supply, or purposely tightening supplies to raise prices, .

How about explaining this...who will do this the Government? Which government? Its a world commodity. Do you want some to come down from Mt. Olive to do the regulating? (They did that in 1973 and look what happened.)Supply side controls have never worked that I recall. Maybe you can give specifics instead of pie in the sky stuff.

Again, if you understood how futures and spot prices worked you would understand that these mechanisms are what stabilizes the market. You just don't understand how well the system works considering there is a 20 million barrel/day consumption and production. (In the U.S)

Your ideas are to simplistic. They are like trying to solve quantum physics on a 6th grade level.

I want a detailed explanation of how this would work.

Last edited:
turtlevette said:
You guys are like a pack of hyenas taking turns at a person. The guy has an opinion shared by many.

I think Grampi takes some heat because he whines about it to a great degree. I agree this place can have a hyena or "mob mentality" which I've been the victim of here.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234

I think Grampi takes some heat because he whines about it to a great degree. I agree this place can have a hyena or "mob mentality" which I've been the victim of here.

Bragging about "driving toasty" is inoffensive. I wish they'd leave you alone.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Bragging about "driving toasty" is inoffensive. I wish they'd leave you alone.

Yeah, I took a lot of heat for that statement.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
turtlevette said:
You guys are like a pack of hyenas taking turns at a person. The guy has an opinion shared by many.

Oh really? He whines? I've seen everybody in the thread whine about something.

It's a calculated aggressive tag team approach to debate. I you can call it debate.

turtle, I was attacked here because I admitted to driving home after a good mixed drink. I respect Grampi for sticking to his opinion though.

Originally Posted By: Al
tighter controls on producers restricting them from either flooding the market with supply, or purposely tightening supplies to raise prices, .

How about explaining this...who will do this the Government? Which government? Its a world commodity. Do you want some to come down from Mt. Olive to do the regulating? (They did that in 1973 and look what happened.)Supply side controls have never worked that I recall. Maybe you can give specifics instead of pie in the sky stuff.

Again, if you understood how futures and spot prices worked you would understand that these mechanisms are what stabilizes the market. You just don't understand how well the system works considering there is a 20 million barrel/day consumption and production. (In the U.S)

Your ideas are to simplistic. They are like trying to solve quantum physics on a 6th grade level.

I want a detailed explanation of how this would work.

I understand how the futures market works, however, it does nothing towards stabilizing prices...since you claim it does, then why have we had far more huge price swings since fuels were put into the futures market than we did before then?

Last edited:
And my point is, whether I'm living this arrangement, or I worked from home, it wouldn't change a thing about the way the oil industry operates, so why keep bringing it up?

That is the point, really. No matter how many times you start a thread about gas prices, and no matter how many time someone else starts a thread about gas prices, or creates a pricing app, or writes a letter to the editor, or complains to his representative, or spams the oil companies, it won't change a thing about how the oil industry operates. So, why keep bringing it up?

The only thing you can do to lower your gasoline costs are to modify your own behaviours.

That is the point, really. No matter how many times you start a thread about gas prices, and no matter how many time someone else starts a thread about gas prices, or creates a pricing app, or writes a letter to the editor, or complains to his representative, or spams the oil companies, it won't change a thing about how the oil industry operates. So, why keep bringing it up?

The only thing you can do to lower your gasoline costs are to modify your own behaviours.

Yep
[/thread]

So because we can't change the way the industry operates, it's taboo to talk about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back