What do you use on your black plastic trim?

I've recently noticed my black trim (it runs all the way around the bottom of my vehicle, wheel wells included), is starting to get this ugly, white, chalky look. I've always washed the trim along with the rest of the vehicle, then applied Collinite 845 and that would keep it looking nice. About a week ago I used some Original Bike Spirits and it looked like new again for about 3 or 4 days, then it went back to this ugly look again. Any suggestions?

I've recently noticed my black trim (it runs all the way around the bottom of my vehicle, wheel wells included), is starting to get this ugly, white, chalky look. I've always washed the trim along with the rest of the vehicle, then applied Collinite 845 and that would keep it looking nice. About a week ago I used some Original Bike Spirits and it looked like new again for about 3 or 4 days, then it went back to this ugly look again. Any suggestions”

I’m not familiar with the Original Bike Spirits. I tried to view their SDS but it wouldn’t load.

I would use a trim product that has UV protection.

don't even blink...'Wipe New' by Rustoleum...google it.

+1

If I read your post correctly, you are not only using Collinite 845 on your paint, but also on your black trim!?

If that is true, then invest in Gyeon Prep for the TRIM ONLY and clean the wax and other k-rap off of the trim.

Then use Rustoleum, Sonus Motor and Trim Kote, or Aerospace 303 on the trim

Read and follow the application instructions for whatever product you decide on!

+1

If I read your post correctly, you are not only using Collinite 845 on your paint, but also on your black trim!?

If that is true, then invest in Gyeon Prep for the TRIM ONLY and clean the wax and other k-rap off of the trim.

Then use Rustoleum, Sonus Motor and Trim Kote, or Aerospace 303 on the trim

Read and follow the application instructions for whatever product you decide on!
Yes, I have been using the 845 on the trim, and up until recently, it kept the trim looking new. My bottle of 845 is several years old now (because it takes so little to do a vehicle), so maybe this is what happens when it's used on trim after it has broken down chemically. I know waxes/sealants change over time and go bad. It looks like some of these other product recommendations are better used on trim, so I will give some of them a try after I use the Gyeon Prep...

I’m not familiar with the Original Bike Spirits. I tried to view their SDS but it wouldn’t load.

I would use a trim product that has UV protection.
It's a quick detailer/waterless cleaner I used to use on my bikes, but it's an excellent dressing for trim and plastic....I think I've got something else going on here that's causing this awful look to come back within a few days of applying the OBS...

It's a quick detailer/waterless cleaner I used to use on my bikes, but it's an excellent dressing for trim and plastic....I think I've got something else going on here that's causing this awful look to come back within a few days of applying the OBS...

Is this the CX9?

White discoloration sounds like some solvent got on your trim. That can be caused by splashing through something while driving. Sometimes we never know.

I have heard that Griots Trim Restorer is good stuff.

I have been using Gyeon Preserve on mine. It’s not a blackening product but it has UV protection and is SiO2 based. I notice that dirt buildup is kept to a minimum. It’s easy to apply.

"Black again" is a black ink that re-colors black trim. The latest batch I got is "new and improved" and that seems to mean it's thicker. The older stuff was clearly thinner. In any case, it works very well to re-dye the trim.

Doing a good job with the included foam brush just takes a little care. Put on too thin and it's streaky. I found that going over the spot to be covered a few times with the brush, before moving on, is the solution.

I stopped using the water based products like 303. They look great, but wash off very easily with water. The newer spray waxes such as TW SNS etc. protect plastic trim and resist water.

"Black again" is a black ink that re-colors black trim. The latest batch I got is "new and improved" and that seems to mean it's thicker. The older stuff was clearly thinner. In any case, it works very well to re-dye the trim.

Doing a good job with the included foam brush just takes a little care. Put on too thin and it's streaky. I found that going over the spot to be covered a few times with the brush, before moving on, is the solution.
I have known about this product for quite some time, but I'm apprehensive about using it because it may stain paint, and I don't want to mask off the entire bottom of the vehicle before applying it...

Blackwow Pro is pricey but seems to be a really good short-term trim dressing that actually lasts.
CarPro Dlux might be ok on slightly worn trim, but is way too shiny on new trim. Not sure how well it works on moderately deterioriated trim.
Solution Finish seems to be decent but I have only used it for a few weeks.

I have known about this product (Black Again) for quite some time, but I'm apprehensive about using it because it may stain paint, and I don't want to mask off the entire bottom of the vehicle before applying it...

I get it, and with a nicer car it's good to be careful. In my case, mistakes wiped right off with solvent and a microfiber. So I don't bother masking anything on my older car. I just applied some to my 2003 Jaguar X-Type. The new and improved version seems to be not quite as good as the previous version :) The results are acceptable. Maybe another coat will help.

I don't use anything on exterior plastic trim other than when I spray wax. The engine bay and tires get the treatment. I find that its not necessary to put anything but the spray wax on the plastics. It keeps it nice and new looking. Keeping stuff new looking is important to me since I keep my vehicles as long as possible.

+1 for Wipe New. 01 Tacoma TRD, best I've used so far and lasts. Going on a year now.

Since you have been using #845 on the trim a SERIOUS cleaning is in order before you apply anything. Gyeon Prep or similar and scrub it, #845 is some tough stuff to remove from paint much less porous plastic.

Aerospace #303 is a poor choice for exterior use in my opinion but excellent for interior plastics, dash, vinyl, etc.

I was very disappointed with the original Black Wow product when it first came out. The Pro series that The Critic mentions HAS to be an improved variant but I have no experience with it.

Back