Good plastic/trim restorer?

Is there a new(er) wonder-chemical trim restorer that truly lasts? Has to also be color neutral, not just for black.

I’ve been using the boiled linseed oil method and it’s good - I get a year or two out of one application. But it’s finicky and requires drying inside to avoid dust when wet. Looking for something that will last at least a year looking good, but applies more easily. Also affordable, as I have all the BLO I need so a $50 boutique thing is unlikely to stir me.

Someone recommended this Meguiar’s ceramic and it looks good, but will it last or not? Rainy winter PNW so no extreme cold or heat.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X20...hene+trim+restorer,automotive,168&sr=1-7&th=1

Thanks for suggestions.

I have looked into that in the past. My concern about the Cerakote product is two fold:

1) At ~$20 for enough wipes to do one car, it’s not very cost or resource effective.

2) There are enough substantive complaints about really bad results when used in a humid climate, damp, or if it dews overnight afterwards before it cures. Very bad results. I would have to take it in the garage and leave to cure, so it no easier to apply nor apparently longer-lasting the BLO. And I can do that for free.

So this might sound crazy, but try some 303. Had a piece of faded bumper trim on the Subaru that a couple different trim restore products didn't even touch it. I applied several coats of 303 and it came back like new.
Ok, I will try that. I have some. Normally use it on the interior and plastic headlights. I hadn’t thought of that.

Ok, I will try that. I have some. Normally use it on the interior and plastic headlights. I hadn’t thought of that.

I let the first one soak in a couple minutes while I did another spot. Did the second one and let it soak longer. 3rd coat finally left it looking new. Might not work for your plastic, but worth a shot!

Is there a new(er) wonder-chemical trim restorer that truly lasts? Has to also be color neutral, not just for black.

I’ve been using the boiled linseed oil method and it’s good - I get a year or two out of one application. But it’s finicky and requires drying inside to avoid dust when wet. Looking for something that will last at least a year looking good, but applies more easily. Also affordable, as I have all the BLO I need so a $50 boutique thing is unlikely to stir me.

Someone recommended this Meguiar’s ceramic and it looks good, but will it last or not? Rainy winter PNW so no extreme cold or heat.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2000-Magnet-Microfiber-Drying/dp/B06Y2Q1SRY/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2C0IJGYBDGP74&keywords=Ceramic+graphene+trim+restorer&qid=1698454751&s=automotive&sprefix=ceramic+graphene+trim+restorer,automotive,168&sr=1-7&th=1

Thanks for suggestions.
I have used the Meguiars product. It works well, but not as good as Wipe New in my humble opinion.

I have used the Meguiars product. It works well, but not as good as Wipe New in my humble opinion.

Funny, I ordered some of that late last night. I found a big long-term test that rated it highly, and it was on sale. So know I have two things to try besides the old BLO method. 303 and this.

I have used Gyeon Trim, and CarPro Deluxe, lasted for 2 years and holding...
Carpro was used on charcoal gray, Chevy Equinox trim...

Check out the Cerakote stuff. It works very well.
+1 for Cerakote. I originally used them for the headlight restoration kit and was impressed with it that I tried the trim restorer and it's lasted way longer than any of the other sprays that I've used. For ease of use and time to apply, I'm very pleased with it.

I have looked into that in the past. My concern about the Cerakote product is two fold:

1) At ~$20 for enough wipes to do one car, it’s not very cost or resource effective.

2) There are enough substantive complaints about really bad results when used in a humid climate, damp, or if it dews overnight afterwards before it cures. Very bad results. I would have to take it in the garage and leave to cure, so it no easier to apply nor apparently longer-lasting the BLO. And I can do that for free.
1 wipe goes along way, I used 2 wipes for the whole exterior on our subaru.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2000-Magnet-Microfiber-Drying/dp/B06Y2Q1SRY/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2C0IJGYBDGP74&keywords=Ceramic+graphene+trim+restorer&qid=1698454751&s=automotive&sprefix=ceramic+graphene+trim+restorer,automotive,168&sr=1-7&th=1

Thanks for suggestions.
Just recently used this on my headlights worked well.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 14
I think Flood Penetrol for oil based paints mixed with BLO is the way to go. I'm still trying to figure out what ratio works the best, and if I should thin it a little Turpentine or other solvent. I'm going to try 75% Penetrol 25% BLO next time treat the faded plastics on my F150. I've used straight Penetrol, and the first coat turned my plastic white. A second coat brought the color back, but it had some streaks. It seems more durable than BLO which faded some and left streaks on the paint after rain.

So this might sound crazy, but try some 303. Had a piece of faded bumper trim on the Subaru that a couple different trim restore products didn't even touch it. I applied several coats of 303 and it came back like new.
do you have a link to this 303 stuff?

Hey Guys,
Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks for suggestions.
I got tired of gimmicks,go to Eastwood and buy plastic resurfacer,it's like $30 a can,but it's the best I've ever tried.

Back