What do you like about your job/employer?

They aren't cheap. My last boss was sell-the-spare-tire cheap. There's overtime if you want it.

If I notice a problem that's out of spec, I present the issue to an engineer and he addresses it via paperwork, so I don't have to do anything shady. Everyone in my position/ pay grade is paid the same. Coworkers are a decent mix of go-getters seeking promotion vs being content in what they do now, and both sides of this coin are respected.

Last edited:
Really everything except distance from home. They treat us very well. They give us paid holidays, provide hams and turkeys on holidays.

And one of the most important things to me is the boss for my department is a very reasonable person. If you mess something up you don’t get screamed at for it, he will come and talk to you about it and make sure it doesn’t happen again. If he decides to move you somewhere else that you don’t want to go he will let you come back to where you were. He is easy to talk too about anything but especially raises and advancements which I plan to talk to him this week about a raise and another possible advancement and I’m confident and feel comfortable doing it because the way he is. He was a Chevy tech for a good while so he understands things very well and has worked with me and shown me a lot of things. Another thing I like is there is plenty of opportunities to learn and people always willing to help. And since I’m young that is plenty of people for me to look up too. I’m the youngest tech that is not in express lane so that’s important and it’s because I showed him I was capable of doing things and doing whatever I put my mind to do and have showed motivation to learn and been there when nobody else has like this morning I was the only one there when we opened and when we closed and everyone was scheduled, I was alone for an hour each time doing work by myself for the express lane because I volunteer to do it when no one else is available and I do that because I appreciate my employer and want to continue the rest of my automotive career there. And that has been the case multiple times where I’ve had to fill in. And I like the fact they let you know how much you are appreciated on a regular basis.

Also enjoy the benefits and events we have too.

I like that I work for a small company, but we've been around for 30+ years. We have about 30 folks working for us. I've been there for 8 years now, and I like that I work directly with the manufacturing folks and the powers that be. We've had customers visit us and their comments are usually that they figured we were a much larger outfit because we have a good reputation and our products are used around the world.

Worked for my last company for 17 years, started there right after college. After we were "acquired", our new overlords made lots of empty promises up front that never came to be. Knew I had to get out of there when my feeling was not "what new, challenging thing will I get today", but more like "how can our new overlords shoot us in the foot today?". After my boss, who had been there 24 years left rather suddenly, I knew the writing was on the wall. Lots of folks had already left, several of my colleagues left after I did. I was among the last few who got to meet our late founder; a bunch of us are pretty sure he would be horrified by what happened to his company.

My employer has tuition reimbursement, some folks got their MBA paid for 100%.

Good thing to have if you want to grow at any company.
Ironically, I hated college so much that if you offered to pay all of the expenses for me to get a pHd, I'd kindly thank you and decline. I can think of far better uses of my time than paying to be treated like ****.

Ironically, I hated college so much that if you offered to pay all of the expenses for me to get a pHd, I'd kindly thank you and decline. I can think of far better uses of my time than paying to be treated like ****.

Sometimes you need a piece of paper to ‘check the box’ and get promoted.

I agree that I also didn’t like taking college classes.

I work for a heavy equipment company. They are outstanding at the work life balance thing. Need time off, take it. Need to work overtime to finish your work, Ok. Set goals at the start of the year and let us run with it. Such a pleasure compared to the fortune 250 company I worked for who couldn't see past their next earnings release. You will also not run into mean cranky people here. They get fired.

I sell parts and do parts stuff for a dealer group.

- Short commute, but I picked house in part due to proximity to job.
- Definitely not micromanaged, can say no to requests from other departments managers if I don't like it. Comfortable making most of my own judgement calls.
- Pay is largely tied to work volume.
- VIP parking.
- Have worked with and/or for most higher ups for years. Those who I have not generally trust me and let me do my job.

There's plenty I could complain about, but the things that really give me headaches now are industry wide problems.

Im done being promoted, if it requires more of that debasement.
I agree that in most cases the advanced degrees are useless outside of unlocking advancement, but that's just the way it is in some fields. If you work in an area where this is true, just be careful to not debase yourself. I'm currently considering a master's purely for long-term gain in career...I share your sentiment but also find it hard to justify as I could do it for free.

I agree that in most cases the advanced degrees are useless outside of unlocking advancement, but that's just the way it is in some fields. If you work in an area where this is true, just be careful to not debase yourself. I'm currently considering a master's purely for long-term gain in career...I share your sentiment but also find it hard to justify as I could do it for free.
Cant go to college without it. Got to pay to be treated like trash. I did it once because I was young and broke, but no more. Ther is no way Id set foot in a college, regardless of whether someone was paying me to, or not.

Not trying to be rude, but did you go to some little hick town college and get bullied or something?

I went to ASU, there was nothing to not like. I didn't make a bunch of friends or anything, I'm not a partier either. I just went, took classes, did my work, and graduated. Wasn't a big deal. It honestly wasn't that hard either. And I'm no whiz bang genius.

Not trying to be rude, but did you go to some little hick town college and get bullied or something?

I went to ASU, there was nothing to not like. I didn't make a bunch of friends or anything, I'm not a partier either. I just went, took classes, did my work, and graduated. Wasn't a big deal. It honestly wasn't that hard either. And I'm no whiz bang genius.
I was in a program that wasn't just about facts/learning, but also about psychological conditioning and teaching you how to maneuver in a hostile organization. Some of us got this a lot more than others, and since I was not the "product" this university wanted, I got more than my fair share of it. They did this by blacklisting students, playing mind-games, etc. with you. An example would be one time an instructor saw me alone and took the opportunity to tell me; "Noone likes you. Can't you tell when you enter the room how the atmosphere changes?" and so forth, stuff like that. It was on you to navigate this kind of maneuvering without 1) doing something that could get you kicked out for conduct, and 2) without breaking or dropping out. My initial cadre involved 113 people, and I believe the end graduating from that initial cadre was something like 15. In short, I have nothing good to say about it, but it has allowed me to indeed navigate hostile environments and rise to the top in my field in many ways, so there's also that. I just don't feel like going through more college again, because I make enough money now that I have no need of it. That's all it ever was to me, a means to an end, which was money. Since I'm in a spot that's comfortable...done with paying to be treated bad. Why would I?

Last edited:
I was in a program that wasn't just about facts/learning, but also about psychological conditioning and teaching you how to maneuver in a hostile organization. Some of us got this a lot more than others, and since I was not the "product" this university wanted, I got more than my fair share of it. They did this by blacklisting students, playing mind-games, etc. with you. An example would be one time an instructor saw me alone and took the opportunity to tell me; "Noone likes you. Can't you tell when you enter the room how the atmosphere changes?" and so forth, stuff like that. It was on you to navigate this kind of maneuvering without 1) doing something that could get you kicked out for conduct, and 2) without breaking or dropping out. My initial cadre involved 113 people, and I believe the end graduating from that initial cadre was something like 15. In short, I have nothing good to say about it, but it has allowed me to indeed navigate hostile environments and rise to the top in my field in many ways, so there's also that. I just don't feel like going through more college again, because I make enough money now that I have no need of it. That's all it ever was to me, a means to an end, which was money. Since I'm in a spot that's comfortable...done with paying to be treated bad. Why would I?

What a terrible school and instructors.

Back