Netflix No Longer Wants to Treat Employees Like Family. No Kidding.

I have no problem with Netflix’s policy. In fact, there is nothing new about it based on my 28 year career working for a Fortune 10 Silicon Valley company. These are high paying, high salary positions. It’s survival of the fittest. It’s a “zero sum game” (someone gets a raise, someone else doesn’t). I applaud Netflix for putting their policy in writing.

Scott
That’s what I’ve always heard. I owned VMWare stock and it’s been prolly my best of all time.

When Broadcom took over, a memo went out Thursday evening, regarding work beginning the following Monday.

Hock Tan: “Work from home is no longer an option.”

Imagine there are folks out there who think that’s insensitive. F*** it happened at my co.

I must be reading this wrong. The way I read it - correct me if I am wrong - if an employee puts in their notice, and there average at best, you say "thank you, best of luck in the future".

If your best employee puts in their notice you try to convince them to stay.

What am I missing? I thought every place was like this?
I interpreted it to mean those employees aren't actually putting in their notice. You as a manager are only supposed to pretend they are.... And decide if you'd want to see them go or not. If you decide you wouldn't miss them, give 'em the axe now.

I think I read the same about Facebook. Supposedly, every year each manager is supposed to lay off the lower-performing 10% (or some other arbitrary number) of their staff so that theoretically their replacements will be stronger.

That’s what I’ve always heard. I owned VMWare stock and it’s been prolly my best of all time.

When Broadcom took over, a memo went out Thursday evening, regarding work beginning the following Monday.

Hock Tan: “Work from home is no longer an option.”

Imagine there are folks out there who think that’s insensitive. F*** it happened at my co.
Only a small fraction of people have enough self discipline to work remotely. Unless you’re a super star with unique skills, working remotely is a sure way to stifle your career path.

You’ve heard about people who used “C” to work remotely - fair enough given the circumstances. But some were foolish enough to move out of the area, thousands of miles away WITHOUT TELLING THEIR COMPANY. Then when they were asked to return to the office they viewed it as unfair, some kind of conspiracy against them. OMG, really?! Too bad, so sad. Find another job.

Good friend of mine works at Apple. Apple determined they had an overall 40% productivity loss when the company was working remotely. Completely unsustainable.

Technical work is complex and challenging. I can’t tell you the number of times I had to meet face to face with an engineer and discuss a complex issue over a whiteboard. You can’t do that at home, unless you consider Zoom meetings the equivalent. Not!

Scott

I interpreted it to mean those employees aren't actually putting in their notice. You as a manager are only supposed to pretend they are.... And decide if you'd want to see them go or not. If you decide you wouldn't miss them, give 'em the axe now.

I think I read the same about Facebook. Supposedly, every year each manager is supposed to lay off the lower-performing 10% (or some other arbitrary number) of their staff so that theoretically their replacements will be stronger.
Not unlike the employee differentiation system that Jack Welch (GE) used and promoted. It has some benefits, especially for larger or high growth companies.

I have no problem with Netflix’s policy. In fact, there is nothing new about it based on my 28 year career working for a Fortune 10 Silicon Valley company. These are high paying, high salary positions. It’s survival of the fittest. It’s a “zero sum game” (someone gets a raise, someone else doesn’t). Netflix employees are compensated very well. Put out or get out. I applaud Netflix for putting their policy in writing.

Scott

I have no problem with what they say - thing is that's not what they actually do.

I have no problem with Netflix’s policy. In fact, there is nothing new about it based on my 28 year career working for a Fortune 10 Silicon Valley company. These are high paying, high salary positions. It’s survival of the fittest. It’s a “zero sum game” (someone gets a raise, someone else doesn’t). Netflix employees are compensated very well. Put out or get out. I applaud Netflix for putting their policy in writing.

Scott
High salaries with these positions and I agree with you. It's competitive. No risk, no reward. You want to make the big bucks, you have to put in the time and be a company slave. I have a few friends who work in environments like this, they make great salaries and have stock benefits, but they are always working and always on the road so it's a compromise.

With that said, there are many, many companies that share this mentality but do not pay well at all while also operating in a "rules for thee but not for me" mentality. The pandemic made this much worse, when they figured out people can work from home it turned into expecting production 24/7. The mentality shifted to we want your all, even if it is unreasonable for the pay, and if you don't like it we will hire someone else. Fine, but now those same companies are crying "nobody wants to work". No, people want to work, but not 24/7 for $37,000 a year and poor health benefits. During the pandemic I worked for an IT contracting company. We were salary, and working remote turned into being "on call" all the time basically. I'd receive e-mails from my director at 11pm on a Saturday and was expected to take action because we were all "family" taking care of our clients.

Now I work at a university, and the pay is good and admittedly I spend a decent amount of time answering e-mails "off hours" but it is part of the job and I do have more flexibility if I need to be out, vacation time, etc. There is a much better work/life balance and employees stick around longer. I can't even imagine how much productivity was lost at my previous company because it became a revolving door for employees and we were constantly playing catch up at different sites we managed.

Yeah my last job said let us know if there’s anything we can do. That’s open-ended—I took it as now or in the future. If I said well I want $25k more. They’d have said fine and I’d be in the very same situation with more salary. Not helping myself. There was an underlying reason why I would leave an ok job. Not money.

And a person more senior than the director said break a leg and if you ever want to come back just let us know. Unbelievably she passed away in her early 40s, I was shocked. A former coworker I never spoke to wound up at my current co and we laughed we worked 1 aisle apart yet never spoke at the last co. And he said nobody knows what happened to the VP.

This is my long-winded way of saying I agree with you. 😂
Where I work is like being in a catty High School again. Three people got a promotion over me and others. Two of them have less overall experience, in everything yet are buddy buddy with a couple of managers. Top it off the management allowed people to be promoted in secret which violates Colorado's equal opportunity employment act. Everyone is jumping ship. The only upside is that the people who were promoted didn't even get raises.

High salaries with these positions and I agree with you. It's competitive. No risk, no reward. You want to make the big bucks, you have to put in the time and be a company slave. I have a few friends who work in environments like this, they make great salaries and have stock benefits, but they are always working and always on the road so it's a compromise.

With that said, there are many, many companies that share this mentality but do not pay well at all while also operating in a "rules for thee but not for me" mentality. The pandemic made this much worse, when they figured out people can work from home it turned into expecting production 24/7. The mentality shifted to we want your all, even if it is unreasonable for the pay, and if you don't like it we will hire someone else. Fine, but now those same companies are crying "nobody wants to work". No, people want to work, but not 24/7 for $37,000 a year and poor health benefits. During the pandemic I worked for an IT contracting company. We were salary, and working remote turned into being "on call" all the time basically. I'd receive e-mails from my director at 11pm on a Saturday and was expected to take action because we were all "family" taking care of our clients.
If a company's workers across the board feel like they're being exploited, this may be the best time since the 1930s to form a union. Like at Starbucks or the Amazon warehouses. Workers at the Volkswagen plant in Tennessee recently voted to join the UAW. These people all work hard and are probably undercompensated for what they do. More power to them.

Scott

Yep.
If you’re getting paid to do a job you have to perform at a certain level.
Companies realize they have to trim the fat and reward the folks that perform well.

The company I work for has tons of metrics they want their employees to meet.
I see nothing wrong with that and getting rid of any slackers.
Put the slackers on a Work Improvement Plan and document their poor performance.
Bye - Bye slacker.

—————————————-

No job or career is easy. If a person can find something better for better pay they need to leave their current job.

36 years at my employer this June 15th. 🥳 🎈 🎂

Last edited:
If a company's workers across the board feel like they're being exploited, this may be the best time since the 1930s to form a union. Like at Starbucks or the Amazon warehouses. Workers at the Volkswagen plant in Tennessee recently voted to join the UAW. These people all work hard and are probably undercompensated for what they do. More power to them.
I was just in a town hall meeting and YRC which was just Yellow when I was a kid, came up. That is an example where the union failed its members and very sad.

I’ve never been in a union and am not anti union. My wife is in the teachers Union.

You can't have a union in an industry like Silicon Valley - or Netflix. These types of jobs require initiative, creativity, attention to detail, the desire to excel, freedom of thought, etc. The zero sum game is a powerful motivator so YOU are the one to EARN the salary increase rather than someone else. This is what sets people apart in engineering positions, and Silicon Valley in general. It's the survival of the fittest, do or die, do it better than the other person. Unionizing this type of work would kill the entire industry.

Scott

Last edited:
You can't have a union in an industry like Silicon Valley - or Netflix. These types of jobs require initiative, creativity, attention to detail, the desire to excel, freedom of thought, etc. The zero sum game is a powerful motivator so YOU are the one to EARN the salary increase rather than someone else. This is what sets people apart in engineering positions, and Silicon Valley in general. It's the survival of the fittest, do or die, do it better than the other person. Unionizing this type of work would kill the entire industry.

Scott
My dad who ran a software co in the 90s said what you are. He posed a question to me. How do I quantify productivity. Lines of code? If so, they write more lines, which may be inefficient. Also he said some musicians who studied music theory make excellent programmers.

The term "quiet quitting" came out a few years ago. I had to look it up to see what it meant. It basically means doing your work, no more, no less. Industry coined it, I'm sure, to shame employees who don't give 110% to be rewarded with degrading benefits.
Quiet quitting wasn't coined by workplaces. We were using the term at a Fortune 10 company (amongst middle management) before it got all popular on Reddit (antiwork sub etc....) and became mainstream.

Not exactly proud of it, but I'll admit to doing it when it got to where my direct manager and I couldn't stand to be in the same room together - it was what it was. Got a manager change, went back to doing what I really should have been doing.

My dad who ran a software co in the 90s said what you are. He posed a question to me. How do I quantify productivity. Lines of code? If so, they write more lines, which may be inefficient. Also he said some musicians who studied music theory make excellent programmers.
Exactly right. How do you quantify an engineer's contributions when there's more than one way to skin a cat? That's why jobs like these cannot be unionized.

With respect to you comment about writing inefficient code - I spent my entire career making sure that didn't happen. On our large, mission critical, mainframe systems we had proprietary tools that could identify system resource consumption down to the procedure level. The amount of performance measurement data we could extract from our systems was incredibly useful, and eye watering at times.

But let's suppose someone was trying their best but was writing inefficient code. My team, or me, would take our findings to that engineer and show them what was happening. In all cases the engineers were grateful for our findings and would eagerly make changes to make their code more efficient. For those engineers it wasn't a matter of getting "busted", it was a matter of personal pride; wanting to write the most efficient, bug free code possible.

I was fortunate to work for a company where we had healthy collaborative relationships. That said; be difficult to work with and have a bad attitude, or not work hard and show a lack of initiative or willingness - or repeatedly miss deadlines......you didn't last long.

Scott

Quiet quitting wasn't coined by workplaces. We were using the term at a Fortune 10 company (amongst middle management) before it got all popular on Reddit (antiwork sub etc....) and became mainstream.

Not exactly proud of it, but I'll admit to doing it when it got to where my direct manager and I couldn't stand to be in the same room together - it was what it was. Got a manager change, went back to doing what I really should have been doing.
Sort of related, my wife did it 2X.
She did make contact with HR in the HQs both times. and they said it has no bearing on eligibility to be rehired. And it’s again as you say. It’s because the situation has become so unprofessional and antagonistic that it’s warranted.

Sort of related, my wife did it 2X.
She did make contact with HR in the HQs both times. and they said it has no bearing on eligibility to be rehired. And it’s again as you say. It’s because the situation has become so unprofessional and antagonistic that it’s warranted.
HR and plant director was aware in my case also. I am about 98% sure that the manager change (they actually created a new position tailor made for me under a different manager) was because my then 15 year track record of being able to get along with EVERYONE else in the company, including the 3-4 previous managers I'd worked for, and Manager Satanette had been through a half dozen or so direct reports during her 3 year tenure, all of whom were "uncoachable" per her.

I outlasted her........ mostly though sheer stubbornness.

As a people manager - I've got news for all the 'mainstream quiet quitters' - most of them weren't giving more than about 30% to begin with......

As a people manager - I've got news for all the 'mainstream quiet quitters' - most of them weren't giving more than about 30% to begin with......
Exactly!

They are closely related to the entitled ones, who have an overall contempt for management. I had one of those, a Princeton graduate. An intelligent guy who slowly turned defiant, a 10+ year employee.

I had my eye on him and he knew it. I spent more time managing him than I did the rest of my team combined, all the others being outstanding contributors who simply went about their jobs without drama. The defiant one and I were having 5 minute morning meetings on a daily basis, discussing "things" as part of his "PIP" (Performance Improvement Plan).

One day he missed a 9AM meeting I needed him to attend. After the meeting (which he missed entirely) he walked past my office and said, "Save the lecture". With that I said, "I want you out of here in 45 minutes. I'll help you pack up your office." He started to tear up. Boo hoo. Spare me! I had him out of there in less than 30. I didn't even let him say goodbye to his colleagues.

Scott

Last edited:
Back