What do you conclude about a "loud" oil?

Does the new 4.0 liter Tacoma use the Atkinson cycle engine... are they not noisier in the valve train to begin with?

The 2016 and newer Tacoma with the V6 is a 3.5 liter engine. The 2GR-FKS with D-4S, and a simulated on-demand Atkinson cycle.

The Direct Injectors tend to be a bit more noisy than port injectors. The 2GR-FKS has both.

I remember switching my Ford Taurus to Castrol 5-30. It was so quiet when warm that I thought the engine wasn't running. M1 0-30 sounded terrible in my Ford F-150. M1 0-40 made it quiet. I dunno....

It continues to be interesting that in this era where pretty much everybody is carrying a sound meter in their pocket, all we get are anecdotal observations.
And likely no one here with that meter would have the experience on how to use and develop a study with data that would stand up to professional peer review. Plus, a meter is not good enough, you would need to do spectral anaylsis over the freq range and likely weigh specific bands.

And as we have found in the High Fidelity world in the 70's and 80's, most of the measured data have NO correlation to perceived sound quality. They were measuring the wrong thing using tools developed in an age where design technology and performance was so poor that "the wrong thing" carried more weight but was now irrelevant..

Mobil1 is known as loud. Stellar UOA though.
Mobil 1 what? There are quite a few products in their catalogue, and I would argue many are not stellar.
The good M1 I used was the Old formulation of M1 Racing 4T when it was a real synthetic, The Original formulation of M1 10W30 HM (ACEA A3) , and likely M1 0W40 FS given its approvals - on the bottle and on this forum.
Yes you can point out "best in show" CRV and stuff like that but overall just a mehh performer in-situ.

Caveat: these are all old observations. I haven't used M1 product in quite some time - other than topping off the '19 turbo Jetta with the 0W40FS - and that worked quite well to my intention.

I concluded nothing.
'Loud' oil is the construct of the uninformed few OCD internet avatars that are looking for both an intangible problem and an unmeasurable solution to that problem.

Cheers!!!
Maybe in some cases, but of course not my case :)

I say that the best mechanics and engine builders use ALL of their senses and objective tools at hand to asses machines.
This has been true for ages.

I ignored a light "rap" in my old Audi 100LS. We were travelling South (w) on Route 495 heading to the Catskills. My travelling companion said "turn up the radio and pay no attention - you're just paranoid "
Soon after, as I crested a rise there was a loud BANG! and the white and blue smoke enveloped the whole front end of the car. I slowed and steered to the right guard rail - actually rubbing it a bit as I slowed.
Happy to have survived that fiasco on the highway, I turned my attention to the steaming engine. Popped the hood, looked about and then saw 2 connecting rod protruding from the side of the block, right near the exhaust manifold that was showered with coolant and oil from that void in the thin cast iron. That was it for that car. I took the expensive stereo out of the car and we were off thumbing a ride to the next exit to find a pay phone.

In some engines, all oils run a bit different; Some engines are indifferent.
You just have to know what sounds are deleterious and which are just a minor affectation.
I have proclaimed Valvoline Advanced as the best 5W30 I've run recently, and I also acknowledged that it was a bit noisier than many especially the Magnatec® - but the Valvoline's performance was so superior in all aspects a bit of extra racket could be easily tolerated.

- Ken

Mobil 1 what? There are quite a few products in their catalogue, and I would argue many are not stellar.
The good M1 I used was the Old formulation of M1 Racing 4T when it was a real synthetic, The Original formulation of M1 10W30 HM (ACEA A3) , and likely M1 0W40 FS given its approvals - on the bottle and on this forum.
Yes you can point out "best in show" CRV and stuff like that but overall just a mehh performer in-situ.

Caveat: these are all old observations. I haven't used M1 product in quite some time - other than topping off the '19 turbo Jetta with the 0W40FS - and that worked quite well to my intention.
All Mobil1's I used for intended applications had stellar UOA. You cans earch them here. I have not see from you ones that show otherwise.

after trying many oils all i can say is everything becomes loud when u listen to it and vise verse,we are pathetic creatures that are driven by placebos.

Accurate and repeatable sound pressure measurements (especially over the proper range of frequencies) is extremely difficult to obtain. No one, ever, is going to do it solely with a smartphone microphone.

That app may be sufficient for the intended purpose but not at all for this one. You'll get "something" which when properly analyzed would show it to be useless.

i see that Mobil One is frequently mentioned as allowing or making a bit more noise. I absolutely believe M-1 is a high quality product, but I noticed the engine being noisier at idle with it. I had no expectation for this so I don't think it's my imagination. A relative of mine uses M-1 in his car and it has about 395K on it.

The only times I have experienced oils that made engines louder are with engines that had valves that periodically needed adjusting. For hydraulic lifters I never had the issue.

The amount of noise difference is minuscule. I believe it’s the frequency of that noise that gets one’s attention.

For most modern engines this subject is a moot one.

I have a buddy who is a drummer in a metal band. He's the loudest drummer out there and gives it 100% non-stop while playing. Even with the band making my ears bleed with the sound level, he can tell if the bass or guitar have a single string even just slightly out of tune in the middle of a song, stop the song (practice sessions) and have them fix the tuning, which he is correct every time.

If someone can do that, then it's not unlikely that someone with normal hearing ability could hear VVT locking pin rattle on cold starts. Or any other noise on an instrument they listen to for hours a week or day.

MrPlow, thank you for the story about the drummer and his hearing ability. I find this very interesting. I also can hear engine noise changes when I put certain oils into it.

Accurate and repeatable sound pressure measurements (especially over the proper range of frequencies) is extremely difficult to obtain. No one, ever, is going to do it solely with a smartphone microphone.

That app may be sufficient for the intended purpose but not at all for this one. You'll get "something" which when properly analyzed would show it to be useless.
But I feel we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
I'd just like to see some data from these folks who make subjective claims.

Back